Author Topic: 2005 - What are you watching?  (Read 3014 times)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
2005 - What are you watching?
« on: January 20, 2005, 12:41 AM »
I know we had a thread like this, but I searched and couldn't find it. So...

What television shows are you guys watching on a regular basis nowadays?

I admit that while my television watching has diminshed from when I was younger and had hours on end to just sit in front of the tube and veg out, it has actually gone up somewhat over the past month or so, due to one thing: TiVo. This thing is great. You can just tell it what shows you want to watch, and it records them. I know VCR's have been doing this for years, but this is different. It's just so much better.

Anyway, I have a small handful of shows that I watch regularly.

Alias: This is probably my favorite show right now, 'cause it never fails to entertain. And the fact that I can watch Jennifer Garner for almost an hour doesn't hurt any, either.

Lost: This is probably my favorite new show, since I started in on it a little late and missed a few episodes. I'm still confused as **** as to what's going on in this one, but it's still a very entertaining show week after week.

Adult Swim: I pretty much watch every show that falls under this banner. These are not your father's cartoons.

Chappelle's Show: Hands down, the funniest show on the air right now, cable or otherwise. I can't wait for season 3 to start up.

South Park: Another show that continues to entertain, week after week. It seems like no subject is too taboo for these guys, and they are right on top of current events almost all the time. I'm waiting for the Tsunami episode. You know it's coming.

The Simpsons: Continuously getting worse and worse, in my opinion, yet I can't seem to not watch when new episodes come on. Not saying it's a bad show, just that it's not as funny as it was like 10 years ago. Those were the days.

So, what are you guys watching?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: 2005 - What are you watching?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 12:46 AM »
I believe the only thing I watch with any regularity is: NFL Football and the 9 o'clock news

That's it :-[

SilverZ

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 01:44 AM »
What television shows are you guys watching on a regular basis nowadays?

The adult swim shows are about the only one I really bother with, or at least punch into the Tivo. And that's limited to ATHF, SeaLab, and HB. I still hate hate hate hate hate Milk Chan.

Looking forward to Clone Wars in March.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 01:53 AM »
I'm not sure if this a lot or not, but here's what I am watching for 2005....

- Lost: Got hooked on it due to some guys at work, it's a great show, keeps you on the edge of your seat with every new revelation. But I'm not watching it on tv, just downloading new eps each week. I guess I could record em, but I never remember to.

- Stargate SG-1 & Atlantis: Been into SG-1 since the beginning and the new show has the same core values as the original.

- Enterprise: A year without Star Trek would just feel wrong somehow...

- Andromeda: Though it has some low-tech f/x, this show has a unique story-telling style that is unmatched in Sci-Fi right now. The last 2 weeks worth of episodes should prove that.

- Adult Swim: From Family Guy to ATHF, I'm all about the Swim. Well except the anime shows, I can't get into any of those.

- WWE RAW & Smackdown: Even though the industry is in a down turn right now, there's still some fun things to watch like DAVE~!

- Battlestar Galactica: I'm giving this show a try after seeing the 2 hour season debut on Sunday. Some of it was interesting, but I'm not sure I like the changes they've made from the original series. And what's with the Cylon bots looking like Super Battle Droids from AOTC?

- The Simpsons: See Enterprise

That about covers it, doesn't include hockey, football, or college basketball, but those are gimmes.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 02:23 AM »
Star Trek: DS9 and TNG, and Enterprise: I'm on a Trek binge right now.

Adult Swim: ATHF and Mission Hill are must-sees for me. The rest is pretty forgettable or just too weird.

The Simpsons: out of habit.

I'm at work when shows like Lost and Alias are on, plus I used four hours of a six hour tape to record DS9 and TNG. I so need to TiVo. If I had one.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 07:51 AM »
Anyway, I have a small handful of shows that I watch regularly.

Lost: This is probably my favorite new show, since I started in on it a little late and missed a few episodes. I'm still confused as **** as to what's going on in this one, but it's still a very entertaining show week after week.

****, I've missed one episode and I don't know where this show is going.  You think a question gets answered and all is good and then the writers throw something else at you that makes you go what the ****?  My favorite show on TV right now.  Last night's episode was the first I watched in HD on my new 42" widescreen.  All I have to say is

I just started getting into Alias after watching the new episode after Lost a few weeks back.  I'm hooked and in the process of catching up on past seasons via DVD.

I still watch Survivor, but the last few seasons have been pretty bland.

Other than that, it's football on Sundays (I can't wait to see this in HD), Sportscenter, FoodTV or the occasional home improvement show.  I tend to stick to the original and still the best HI show on TV - This Old House and it's "spin offs".  The wife watches the **** on HGTV and DIY. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 07:52 AM by Mikey D »
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005, 10:21 AM »
Here's what I usually watch over the course of a week (or I set the VCR if I'm not home - yes, we still have a VCR and not any fancy TIVO type thingy  :-[):

Sunday:
The Simpsons - Yeah, it's getting old, but I'd take the worst Simpsons over the best Family Guy any day.   :P

Monday:
Las Vegas - I love this show.  Great stories and great ladies.  Plus, James Caan is cool.

Tuesday:
nothing.  My wife watches some Navy CSI and doctor show on FOX if we're home, but I mainly just stick to my hobbies on Tuesday (customizing, carpentry, etc).

Wednesday:
Lost - FANTASTIC.  I thank baby Jesus every night for a new, original, NON-crime solving TV show.  Not every mystery on TV needs to revolve around solving a damn crime, ya know!  Enough with the crime shows!

Alias - Best idea ABC every had to put these two shows back to back.  I love it.  Again, I am NOT a fan of the 386 crime-solving dramas on TV and am happy for any show that surfaces that does not solve any crimes.

Thursday:
nothing.  I used to love ER, but ever since Dr. Green died it turned into one big soap opera that just got stupider and stupider.  Smallpox?  Helicopter crash?  A friggin' TANK?  Lame.  I don't watch anymore because it is FAR too gimmicky for my tastes now...

Friday:
nothing.  Usually the "date night" for my wife and I.  We try to go out to dinner/shopping/movies/etc.  Try to get out of the house for a night, so out with friends/family/etc.

Saturday:
nothing.  Usually busy doing stuff with friends or catching up on shows I missed during the week thanks to my low-tech VCR (with it's squeaky wheels and everything).

That's about it, not counting sports/news.  I end up watching a lot of those too...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2005, 11:16 AM »
Thanks to ABC, I'm watching a lot more network TV this yearthan I have in a long time.

Sunday

Simpsons
Arrested Development (Can't believe no one else here is watching this, shame on you!!)
Desperate Housewives (love me some Teri Hatcher)
Adult Swim (minus any of their anime crap)

Monday

Daily Show

Tuesday

Daily Show

Wednesday

Lost
Alias
South Park (if new)
Daily Show

Thursday

Survivor/The OC (It's a toss up depending on what's new that week)
CSI
Daily Show

Friday

Nada

Saturday

Nada

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 12:06 AM »
Not much, really.  The following I catch when I can and that's not often:

Simpsons
That 70's show
Sports - basketball, football, hockey
News at 10:30
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2005, 01:01 AM »
In general I just turn the TV on and let it go on one of my more favored channels, but I've gotten hooked on some shows lately.

I dig:

-Nanny 911 & Super Nanny...  SN is not as good though, which is surprising since you'd think they'd be identical.

-Wife Swap (or whatever that is on ABC)...  That is just great.

Beyond that I'm a pretty big Comedy Central Loyalist...  Had Spike not taken Star Trek TNG and DS9 off the evenings, i'd still be watching it nightly.  What a bunch of dickweeds.  >:(

I watched the first couple rounds of American Idol to see their worst get kicked off.  The actual competition's retarded to me, but I enjoy the people embarassing themselves in the first two episodes.  I loved listening to Howard Stern's recap of them.  Funny.

Which brings me to the other show I watch...  Stern...  I tend to watch him on E! since I am a Stern fan through & through.  My buddy got Sirius for X-Mas (just on a whim from his dad) and it's really great...  I wasn't gonna go over, but seeing the product for what it is, I think I'm gonna buy into it just because it's so great on its own.

Hmmm, beyond that I like the History Channel and sometimes just put it on and leave it on if Comedy Central's airing crappy stuff.  Wanda Does It, Shorties Watching Shories, and Drawn Together just sucked to me...  I hate that Blue Collar Comedy Tour too.

Comedy Central still has the best programming out of any channel on TV right now though.

Oh, but HBO's great when Deadwood, Sopranos, and Bill Maher are all new...  I dig Dennis Miller re-runs too, and they've had great stand-up specials lately (Lewis Black, and Dave Attel from 1996!), but they're all reruns or new crap I dislike right now.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Xander

• Jedi Initiate
  • She-mantis, Ampata, Anya…a true demon magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2005, 10:18 AM »
In current rotation:

Sunday: Simpsons (somtimes) - Its not must see anymore for me
              If yes, then Arrested Development

Monday: not sure, hopefully nothing

Tuesday: not sure, hopefully nothing

Wedensday: Alias
                     Smallville
                    All right, this night got big, I think there's something else too

Thursday: Point Pleasant - This series just started and I'm giving it a chance.

Friday: Battlestar Galactica - I'll start taping if I'm not home
            Enterprise - I've got to check when this is on. I'll tape.

Saturday: No tv!  Well, if I'm home, I'll watch a Netflix movie.

Syndication:

I'll still watch a Buffy, Angel, Simpsons, or TV Land occasionally. Some skits on Krank Yankers. Various documentaries I'll watch on the History Channel or PBS. Watched some of an MLK documentary last monday.  Man, I forget about all the riots.

After football season, I'm usually open until March Madness and then baseball.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 10:19 AM by Xander »

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2005, 10:48 PM »
I can't believe that I forgot to list 24!! This is the first season I've been watching this show, but now that I've gotten into it, I think it's really a good show. I'm actually kinda surprised that there hasn't been some kind of protest from anyone over the current season and how it puts certain ethnic groups in a bad light  ::)

Offline Shannon (Princess)

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ooh, Lortab!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Beru has issues...
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2005, 11:43 PM »
My must see is Wednesday: Lost and Alias.  Alias I've been watching since it premiered- and only missed one episode- which was when I was back in my hometown and saw my childhood friend who I hadn't seen for years.  I guess that's a good excuse.   :)
Lost I didn't like at first, but now I do. 
Desperate Housewives is another that I've really enjoyed so far this year- excellent mix of comedy, drama and intrigue.
Sunday mornings that political show w/ George Stepenopulous (sp?), but I watch it while making breakfast, etc.
You are starting to damage my calm.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2005, 05:33 PM »
I wish I could catch Star Trek and Battlestar, but I just never have time. Lately all I can ever seem to catch is reruns on VH1.  >:(

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2005, 07:58 PM »
Charmed and Lost are my "me" time. 

Lost:  Best new show to hit TV since Law and Order.  Absolutely love the plot twists just wish I didn't have to wait another two weeks to find out what happened with Claire!!

Charmed: Old habits die hard...which is what is happening to this show.  I've read it's in its last season and I think that's the best thing.  The show needed Shannon Doherty....it's not been the same since she left (but I just can't seem to turn it off on Sunday night).
Beth