Author Topic: Home Improvement Projects  (Read 30266 times)

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Home Improvement Projects
« Reply #165 on: July 11, 2012, 11:08 AM »
Great Job on Mac's room!!  Love the ceiling and it silhouettes.  Justin has Chris' childhood X-wing and TIE-Fighter hanging from his ceiling too!
Just reviewing this tread, and I have to echo Tracy here.  The ceilings came out really nice!  Great work!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 11, 2012, 06:09 PM »
My wife and I have been talking about having an in-ground pool kit installed in our backyard.  The web-site we've been looking at states that other than the excavation, homeowners can do the work themselves.  Has anyone done this before?  If so, how hard was it?  What advice/tips can you give to someone who's never attempted anything like this before?  Really hoping to get some good guidance on what to expect/avoid if we try this ourselves.  Thanks.

If you can point me to the website, I could form more of an opinion but right now lacking too much information. 

Honestly, if you can handle a backhoe, you could do the whole thing.   I'm not sure then why pool companies exist because it's got to be easy, right? 

I'm seeing major red flags if that's not readily obvious.  We didn't take pics when our pool was built but it was a heck of a lot more involved than just digging a hole in the ground.  They had four or five guys here for three days after the hole was dug. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 11, 2012, 06:50 PM »
The big challenge with an in-ground pool?  Digging the hole is a simple job. But is your backyard clear of any pipes, cables or the like?  Aside from the permits, this could be one of the more significant considerations.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 12, 2012, 10:20 PM »
Responded by pm, Mike, hope it helps. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 14, 2012, 05:37 PM »
My wife and I have been talking about having an in-ground pool kit installed in our backyard.  The web-site we've been looking at states that other than the excavation, homeowners can do the work themselves.  Has anyone done this before?  If so, how hard was it?  What advice/tips can you give to someone who's never attempted anything like this before?  Really hoping to get some good guidance on what to expect/avoid if we try this ourselves.  Thanks.

Sorry I've been away for so long, but as you can imagine from my last post, I've been a bit busy.  We decided to move forward with the project and it's been a grind for about a month.  We should be finishing up this weekend, so I'm hoping to post pictures and testimonial soon.

Bottom line, this was the toughest thing I've ever worked on, but it was not impossible.  We did a lot of the work ourselves, but also hired contractors for certain materials/services when we needed to.  We ended up saving ourselves about half what it would have cost us to hire a company to do the entire project ourselves though, so I think that the frustration, scars, fights and exhaustion was worth it.  More info to come...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!