Author Topic: Terminator (Aliens, Predator, Etc.)... 4" Scale.  (Read 63916 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Terminator (Aliens, Predator, Etc.)... 4" Scale.
« Reply #120 on: June 10, 2006, 02:39 AM »
A quick look on RoBBY.jp has the Alien vs USCM Snap Kits for $68.83.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #121 on: June 10, 2006, 03:43 AM »
Wonder what the shipping is though...  Yikes.  :(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2006, 01:04 AM »
I got my order in today from the Canadian seller.  My buddy Joe K. and I ordered together.  He got a Celtic Predator and Warrior Alien.

The three I got were the Clear and Scar Predator and Battle Alien.

The Scar Predator looks awesome.  Got a cup of hot water (just shy of boiling) and used that to soften up the parts to put them together.  Also had to use it to straighten out some accessories.  He went together pretty well.  Stands great and all of the accessories fit pretty well with the exception of the shoulder canon.  The hair is in the way.

The paint job is excellent and he looks awesome!

The Clear Predator has a really loose right hip joint so the leg pops off easily.   The peg on the leg sheath is also not formed quite right so it's not a great fit on the leg and the face mask won't stay on.  I'm a huge fan of clear figs and I'm a little disappointed in this one.  But, glad to have it anyway.

The Alien looks awesome though!  Easiest of the three to put together and the bendy tail and transparent head really take it up a notch. 

I'm wishing now I'd gone ahead and ordered all of Series 1 for myself but maybe I'll pick up the others later on.  I can't wait for the Marines now! 

Jesse and the others that recommended these figures, thanks, I really like them and I'm glad I tracked them down.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2006, 01:20 AM »
Glad you dig them E, I gotta get my order in for S2 here...  I want the Alien Queen so I'm just gonna get teh whole set then and be done with it.  They're fantastic looking though...

Then onto those awesome marines.  Love that series...  The Aliens even look cooler to me.

The only gripe I have with these figures are that they do sometimes have loose joints...  I've found that you can get the packs on if you're careful on the predators...  I had to trim pegs on knife sheaths too on a couple preds I got in my case, but they fit eventually... 

I broke a peg on one of my aliens and had to fashion an hourglass shaped peg that I inserted into a hole I dremeled into the alien's thigh.  It stuck in the hole and acted as a replacement peg and stuff.  I had to get sort of creative with it which sucked but it was my fault for not heating the alien with water first...  I just went to town putting it together and they do break easily so word of warning that you should always heat up the SOCKET portion of the figure with hot water...  Boiling won't hurt it but you might yourself, and like E said the hot water from your faucet would work fine.  Once you do that you leave the peg portion cool and heat the socket, and the peg simply pops right in. :)

I hollowed a couple figure's sockets out a bit more for a better fit...  Sometimes I think I made things worse, but overall I did ok and none of my figures was ruined by me.  It's just that, as I noted, some of hte joints aren't the most sturdy and that's my only gripe I have with these figures in this line...  Plus it looks like S3's Aliens line may have new and more sturdy articulation.  I'm anxious to see what the deal is.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 16, 2006, 09:23 PM »
Wow!  I just recieved 6 of the hot toys Aliens and they are incredible.  I have some microman Aliens, which I thought were nice, but these seem to be a step up.  My only complaint is how fragile they are. 

For anyone eles who may have these, do you wonder why they included key chains?  There is no way these figs would hold up if used for that purpose.  On a side note, does anyone know if the McFarlane AVP Series Queen is in scale with these figs?  Its a little pricey for me to justify the hot toys queen due to the price. 

I will probably order the Marines next.  Does anyone think that since we are getting the Marines that Hot Toys may do another Predator series with characters from that first film?  Would love an Arnold, Apollo Creed and Jesse the Body ;D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #125 on: June 17, 2006, 01:55 AM »
I'm not sure how the licensing rights work on Aliens Vs. Pred, Aliens, Alien, Alien Resurrection, Alien 3, etc., etc., and then of course Predator 1 & 2... 

For some reason I was thinking that the licenses aren't intertwined.  That's not to say it couldn't happen though of course, I just am not sure how easy it would be.  Don't see much Predator stuff actually.

The keychain thing is weird...  Then again, these figures are weird overall.  I mean, imagine if while waiting in line to checkout, Star Wars figures were super articulated kits like this in blind packages you just picked up as you bought your groceries like this?

The keychain concept is an Asian Market thing I'm guessing...  These are seemingly meant for teens or young adults...  Their market for toys has the focus on the people with the finances.  It's really ahead of the game compared to the US Market most of the time, and thus kickass toys like this show up.

Offline elhonez

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 22, 2006, 03:59 PM »
What is the scale like on these figures? Before I pay $100 for a set, I'd like to know how they stand up against:

Star Wars
Microman
Marvel Showdown
Palisades' Army of Darkness

etc. etc. Similar scale? Too big? Too small? Thanks!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #127 on: June 22, 2006, 05:04 PM »
Star Wars varies from figure to figure, but they stay within the 1:18-1:20 scale range...  I mean when you compare say the EU Airspeeder Pilot to VTSC Han SOlo you'll see what I mean clearly...  One figure is way tall the other not, yet both should be "average" height guys in the grand scheme of things (if that makes sense).

AOD figures tend to fit right into SW figure scenes...  They're common fodder for customizers.

Microman I've always felt was a hair taller on average than most SW figures...

Marvel I can't comment on, I only look at them at the stores, but I'd say they're probably more uniformed scaled and probably a HAIR taller than SW figures on average.

BBI Elite Force and 21st X-Treme Detail 1:18 military figures are spot-on 1:18 scale with height variances tossed in to represent only a taller or shorter guy here and there on purpose.  BBI's are all 1:18 pretty much, no variances even.  They may look taller than SW figures at times but honestly they blend well together.  Again customizers use them for fodder.

The AvP Snap Kit figures I've found to be perfect scale compared with SW figures...  The PReds are a bit taller, but not too much, compared to a human SW figure (most of them) and Aliens are pretty big...  Not sure on the Marines coming out and how they'll look but I have high hopes.

Welcome aboard elhonez.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 22, 2006, 08:28 PM »
I collect the Showdown line and they are pretty close.  I also collect some of the Microman line and they are almost the same scale a bit smaller maybe.  The microman Alien Warrior figure was a great figure IMO.  But the hot toys version is has much better detail. Although I do like the stability of the microman figures better.  If I get a chance I will snap some pics comparing the hot toys, microman, star wars and showdown. 

Offline elhonez

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 22, 2006, 11:48 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Jesse, and thank you Jim -- pics would be great. I'm pretty much already sold on these, particularly the second AVP set with the build-a-queen. And I'd buy the set with the Marines no matter what the scale when it comes down to it -- they look really promising.

To weigh in on Marvel Showdown: Good character selection, nice detail, but very poorly engineered/constructed. I'm a sucker for SA figures in this scale, so I have most of them, but I'm really hoping they improve upon their overall stability in the next two waves. Scale-wise, they seem a bit too tall for some Star Wars figures (less noticeable standing against taller figures like Vader or Chewie), but almost head-to-head with Microman (Cap and Micro Batman are about the same height).

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 23, 2006, 12:53 AM »
I took a couple pictures the other day of the two Predator and one Alien figures that I bought.  I used a Joe and Luke Skywalker for scale.

AVP Pictures

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #131 on: June 24, 2006, 09:34 PM »
Good comparisons E...

I'd like to see some shots of the Microman Preds/Aliens with the Hot Toys figures.

I'd also like, if anyone has extras, a Microman Pred, or some of the accessories if someone happened to have any.  Namely, face huggers and chest bursters are on my want lists. :)

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 10, 2006, 11:46 PM »
I received my Aliens Snap Kits today. The detail of these kits is amazing. Hot Toys really did these right. They even did multiple paint aps on the weapon and accessories. I decided to diversify my Colonial Marines with a few head swaps. Now I just need another Tumbler so I can make these guys a kick ass vehicle. LMK what you think.

Nice Kit

The Aliens
Fritzkrieg

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 11, 2006, 09:56 AM »
They look great!  How well are they constructed, pretty sturdy or not so much? 

Nice head swaps.  Did you have to modify the Joe heads to fit the Marine bodies?

E...

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 11, 2006, 10:42 AM »
Those look great.  Will be my next pick up.  I just finished off the balance of the Kenner Aliens and Predator figures and Mcfarlane Aliens Predator line minus a few repaints.