Author Topic: Terminator (Aliens, Predator, Etc.)... 4" Scale.  (Read 63831 times)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Terminator (Aliens, Predator, Etc.)... 4" Scale.
« Reply #195 on: April 23, 2009, 05:43 PM »
I saw these while on a toy run today. These things looked absolutely HORRID... Luckily that means I'll have no desire to buy these whatsoever if I like the movie.
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #196 on: April 23, 2009, 06:32 PM »
I don't think they're all, all that bad.  Anything but the endoskeletons is meh though.  I thought the Endo's didn't look too bad though.  I'm looking forward to using them in some capacity for customs...  The human characters look like **** though, for sure.

I want a T1 too though.  They look pretty decent.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 28, 2009, 10:09 PM »
I would like to have an awesome John Connor and T-800, but these suck the big one. this line is a big DOA.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 2, 2009, 05:31 PM »
I keep laughing every time I see the John Connor figures at retail.  The star of the new Terminator movies is nowhere near being the star of this Terminator toy line.  I can certainly understand the appeal and the draw of the Terminators.  I don't think anyone is going to argue that.  But what Playmates has done with John Connor is just ridiculous.  Both the 4" and 6" versions of John Connor don't show his face.

I've heard that what may have transpired is that Christian Bale didn't approve of the likenesses for his figures.  On some licenses actors can approve or disapprove of toys made in their likeness.  I've heard that the process can lead to extensive resculpting at an actor's behest.  Given just how "demanding" Christian Bale can be ;) I can see how it may have been difficult for Playmates to please him.  But for them to chince out on the star of the movie?  I'm still baffled.

I had also suspected that there might be other forces at work.  Especially since Mattel is producing decent likenesses of Christian Bale in the Batman toy line.

Oh, and don't even get me started about why the Terminator toy license needs to offer figures IN THREE DIFFERENT SCALES.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 3, 2009, 11:51 AM »
Thinking about picking up a couple of T-1s just cuz they look cool. Anyone have these yet? IF yes, any reviews/opinions? I feel though, that if I get them, I'll end up getting the HK ship and a small platoon of Terminators... not sure I want to go down that path.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 3, 2009, 12:06 PM »
I can't wait to pick up the T-1 but I haven't had any luck. I don't think it's out yet.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 3, 2009, 12:08 PM »
I've seen it though. It looks cool, and not too badly priced at $10.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 3, 2009, 01:12 PM »
I can't wait to pick up the T-1 but I haven't had any luck. I don't think it's out yet.

I've seen the T-1.  I think at TRU.

I was also surprised to see that they've got a vehicle line.  Although I've only seen two, one being the A-10 and the other being the SkyNet Hunter ship.

Feedback

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 3, 2009, 01:26 PM »
How small was the A-10? I read that it's in the same line as the HK, but haven't seen it yet. If looks decent by itself, but the figure makes it look puny. Probably no Rattler, but it could be fun for kids.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 3, 2009, 01:43 PM »
I didn't know the T-1 was out. I've never seen it.

The Hunter Killer looks pretty cool. I dunno about $20 cool, but I might pick it up one day if there's no SW stuff and I want to spend money. :P
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 3, 2009, 03:06 PM »
How small was the A-10? I read that it's in the same line as the HK, but haven't seen it yet. If looks decent by itself, but the figure makes it look puny. Probably no Rattler, but it could be fun for kids.

The A-10 was definitely pretty small.  As I looked at it in the store I was wondering just how tight of a fit it might be to get the figure into that cockpit.  I think that the Rattler is probably closer to scale with the figure line, but then it's not exactly an A-10 with the different engine positions and dorsal turret.

And IIRC, I saw this at a Mom & Pop shop.  Not mass retail.
« Last Edit: May 3, 2009, 03:07 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #206 on: May 4, 2009, 02:15 AM »
The A-10 is laughably small...  Someone did some comparisons I think, and they said they thought the Terminator A-10 was 1/35 scale or something?  Very diminutive.

To be fair though, a scale A-10 is a massive plane...  One was mocked up and planned at one time by either Admiral Toys or 21st Cent. Toys (I think 21st) and was displayed, and it's truly huge.  It was so big that they felt it was a real risk to try making it (this was several years ago).  It's really a big, big plane though.  For comparison I think the Rattler's at least half the size or something.

On a more fair scale though, and a good price, Power Team Elite made a fantastic A-10 but it's underscaled by a smaller margin.  Still a noticeable margin, but it's bigger than the Rattler.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 7, 2009, 06:04 PM »
The T1 isn't bad at all, I picked up two of them the first day these hit at TRU.  Haven't seen them anywhere else since. 

Why did I buy these?  For SW customs of course.  I could see the bottom part working well for some sort of labor droids.  Or something. 

I also picked up the Hunter Killer, not bad but really small.  Again, I figured somewhere down the road I could use it for something SW related.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 17, 2009, 04:14 PM »
I finally saw the Salvation fig's at my local Zellers, $9.99. Not really good figures.  ::)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #209 on: May 17, 2009, 10:44 PM »
At $5, they're a questionable purchase for the most part.  At $10, you're as looney as that coin of yours. :)