Author Topic: Dimetrodons Customs  (Read 4529 times)

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
Dimetrodons Customs
« on: January 30, 2005, 04:48 AM »
Well here is my Republic Commando, made from a clone trooper and a Dengar WOTC SWM. painted grey and black. quite exciting isn't it? hehe

this is my first custom in well over a year I think, possible two years or more..

also, here is a link to my older works. I plan to do a few more customs for the miniatures line, not sure about hasbro stuff yet though.

http://www.thecustomalliance.com/weiner/default.asp

« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 04:52 AM by Dimetrodon »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Dimetrodons Customs
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 05:04 AM »
That's nice man, and I like the paintjob though they seemed white with details rather than all one color like that...  I still dig it and think that a specialized unit like that could use a more camo'd design at times.

What details did you add to it?  I can see the base, I think, is an AOTC Clone (Red)...  You seemed to definitely beef him up to give him the bulk they seem to have.

I'm wagering you're as pumped for the game as I am. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 05:06 AM »
PS:

I forgot to mention the shine I'm seeing is a bit detracting, though that could just be teh camera.  If the figure's paint is glossy I'd dull it down some only because I think shine on a paintjob takes away from it...

One other paint suggestion before a dullcoat would be maybe a black drybrush to bring out/highlight detail perhaps, while giving the figure a battle-worn look perhaps?

The blue visor kicks much ass though.  I dig the color choices a lot.  Like a Night-Ops outfit for him.  Show your custom over at www.FFURG.com 's FForums Dimetrodon, if you haven't already.  I know the guys would appreciate your work!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 11:13 AM »
Yeah I did him a slightly darker grey that I should have, but it's still cool. I plan to repaint him too, once I do the rest of the squad. In the video game they all have special markings, but thats just the game. I thought about it,a nd might add some later. I thinkt he camera added mroe shine as you said. He is pretty shiny because all I had was a gloss coat.. meh.. repainting will fix that.

as for the base, it's a straight dengar with a seargent clones head. quite nice too. I'm surprised at how well it worked. heh.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 11:14 AM »
Thanks for sharing Dimetron... this is a miniature Clone, right?  From those games?

I've actually thought about getting a lot of those mini figures for the vintage micro playsets...

Anyways though, great idea for this custom.  Very creative... that makes me want to find a couple of SAGA Dengars and use them for the base to some Republic Commandos...

Gonna check out your link in a minute, then I'll probably have a few more comments.   :)

:P

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2005, 06:49 PM »
Yeah it's mini from wizards of the coasts new game. I don't think saga dengars would translate the same way though. This dengar figure translates well into the commando due to its small size and lack of some detail. here are some pictures of the commandos
http://www.starwars.com/gaming/videogames/news/f20050128/index.html

just out of curiosity, what vintage playsets do you have? I'm not even sure which were made.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2005, 09:54 PM »
Wow I had no idea it was even a miniature.  I was thinking it was a Saga Clone base...  Very cool that the Mini Dengar's the same sorta pose as he had.  Very cool...  I wonder if the Commando's will show in the future EU minis that may come?

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2005, 10:42 PM »
probably not, but if they do, it's to promote the game in some form I guess.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2005, 11:28 PM »
The vintage mini sets that I still have somewhere at my parents house are the Death Star, Bespin and Hoth playsets.  They came out in the early 1980s - pretty cool, I probably played with them more as a kid than the regular line!

I'll go through your customs more at work where I have a higher speed internet.   ;)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2005, 11:33 PM »
Andy-man, I dig. You forget how to answer your cell phone? ;)

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2005, 01:07 AM »
it's never on, I recieve nearly no reception at college... stupid AT&T Cingular w/e it is now ...

Yeah I remember the playsets jsut never had any of them. they were before my time. :)

but i did have micromachines, and i too played with the small scale toys much more. it was easier to have a large scale battle  ;D

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 1, 2005, 03:13 PM »
Hey Dimetrodon, love your customs - especially this one - that is one really cool helmet you made!

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 2, 2005, 03:44 AM »
If I'm not mistaken I think it was from a johnny quest set. the yellow submarine thing. I think it had an air tank attached too, but I cut it off. So in the back of the helmet, the two tubes don't meet, and there is a space missing, kind of funny to see. heh.
and thanks for the praise. It was actually one of my first too.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 2, 2005, 11:37 PM »
I really like that one a lot for some reason.  Very cool looking.

Do you have more pics to show of your stuff that isn't up at www.thecustomalliance.com?

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 2, 2005, 04:47 PM »
well i have other customs, but they aren't SW oriented.

A Euplocephalus from the dollar bin, and a Velociraptor from jurassic park. both repaints and nothing more.
Nothing too special either, but the limitations are due to the sculpt.

I'll get up more Star Wars stuff sometime though. I have a few things that I am working on. But first I need to finish the Gundam I have been working on. Mostly I have a bunch of projects involving repainted SW minis.

Coming soon though is a picture of a finished Trandoshan Slaver. (bossk mini repaint.. go me)

« Last Edit: March 2, 2005, 04:52 PM by Dimetrodon »