Author Topic: Masters of the Darkside  (Read 24300 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Masters of the Darkside
« on: November 18, 2002, 02:11 PM »
#1 Who has one?
#2 Did you find it at retail, and if not how much did you pay???
#3 Did you open it?
#4 Are the figures different enough to warrant the $40+ they are going for on eBay???

I don't have this set, I have heard the Vader is perhaps the best Vader released to date, but is the Vader different enough from past Vaders???

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
Re:Masters of the Darkside
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2002, 04:03 PM »
I got my set when they first came out. I got it at Wal-Mart for $14.99 I believe. (Maybe $12.99)
As always, I open all of my Star Wars toys. It is a great set. Maul is ina nice stance with a removable blade from his saber.
Vader is in a good pose as well. He has his hand out a bit along with his lightsaber.
I really like the Maul.
Vader, well it is Vader, but a nicely done Vader.

I would recomend picking up this set if you can. But not for $40.00. That is kind of steep in my opinion. But since it has been awhile that this item came out, you may not have any choice but to pay that amount.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Chris Belle

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2002, 11:24 AM »
I was never even lucky enough to see this in the store. >:(

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2002, 10:53 AM »
Never saw it at retail.  Got  2 of mine on the secondary market, and won one from Brians Toys.  Opened one, got one MOMC, and another autographed by David Prowse and Ray Park.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2002, 11:07 PM »
Never saw them ethier.  :(

Offline 12 in Goldenrod

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2002, 03:20 AM »
I saw them at the local TRU but passed on them.Oh well if i didn't buy them for the $10 or whatever they where going for then,why would i buy them now for $40?So you see in my opinion they were not worth it for the first price.

Offline delvec

• Youngling
  • I rule!!!- You DROOL!!!
    • View Profile
    • TheJawa.com
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2002, 03:34 PM »
Never saw at retail but a bud hooked me up for $20
They are both nice figures different enough to get but if you can use the 40 for something more important- do it!

Offline CyberScout

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2002, 02:27 AM »
This is the last thing I need for my POTJ collection to be complete.I've passed on it many times because I didnt want to spend $30 for it.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2002, 10:50 PM »
At this point, $30 is reasonable for this piece.  Unless you can trade for it.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Guttersnipe

• Jedi Initiate
  • Tramampoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 2, 2003, 08:24 AM »
Hello all first post from new person.
I have never seen the Masters 2 pack in the shops.
I have recently made it my mission to choose Vader when buying figs i.e. if there is a Vader I need then I will try to get him first.
This mission is nearly impossible due to the Masters 2 pack and that dang silver Vader that is far too expensive.
I think my only hope is to win them.

Offline tykrazen

• Jedi Initiate
  • Spitting llama!
    • View Profile
    • The Jawa Junkpile Customs @theJawa.com
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2003, 08:40 PM »
Like most of the folks in this thread, I've never saw this in the stores.  I managed to pick mine up in trade.  

My recommendation to those folks who don't have it yet, take your time and be patient.  I've found that I stumble across the items I least expect to find, and often at a great price (trade or cash).

And remember, if you are real obsessed about missing out on in.  Try looking 1 year after E3 ends up on DVD -- I'll bet dollars to donuts that the MOTD will sell for under $20.00.

Good luck on the hunt!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2003, 06:04 AM »
Word on the street around here is that one of our members finally snagged himself one of these bad boys off of eBay...  Congrats!  I'll try to hide my jealous rage...   ;)

#1  I've got one MOMC, but need one more to open up and keep loose
#2  NEVER saw one at retail.  Picked one up in a Jorg Sacul trade a while back.
#3  Didn't open the one I've got.  Will open the next one.
#4  $40 is a fat chunk of change for this piece, but the Vader is really top of the line - the best one for an ANH likeness, and the Maul is pretty decent as well.  These are finally starting to drop down to the $30 range on eBay of late, so they're getting slightly more affordable.

But considering this was by far the toughest piece to acquire from the POTJ line, it's worth trying to pick one up just due it's rarity (NOT necessarily value).  I'm still losing my eBay auctions for these by a damned buck every time - I refuse to bid $30 yet!  $27-28 is my current max, which just ain't gettin' it done (for me at least)...   ;)

Some day...   :)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2003, 10:22 AM »
Yep, I figured I'd bid $27 on a loose set and I won since I'll throw the packaging away anyway, saved some money on a smaller package and shipping to boot.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2476&item=3103478891

I agree the Vader is awesome, Maul is OK, the paint on his head is top notch like the other POTJ Split in two Maul was, I don't care so much for his articulation but he is still a good figure.  The Vader alone was worth the price I paid.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2003, 02:48 PM »
I have one.  It remains carded.  I paid $40 US for it.  That included shipping and a star case.  I felt it was a good deal for yet another item never released in Canada.  No, I will not open it.  It belongs right beside TFV, JS, TL and DV.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Masters of the Darkside
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2003, 08:27 PM »
Well, I finally snagged my second MOTDS (this one to open) several weeks ago in a trade.  Only cost me a Holiday Droid 2-pack (which I paid $15 for at retail) and one of the extra (tri-logo) Ep. 1 Naboo Royal Guards I had lying around.  Not a bad swap at all to finally pick this piece up.  I essentially scored it for right around retail, since the NRG was just a cheap throw in for the deal.

Much better than paying the $35 - $50 that they're still going for on eBay.  I'm a happy man now!  Just need that second Battle Amidala now to open and I'm completely finished with both my carded and loose collections!   8)

Someone hook me up!   :D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2003, 08:28 PM by JediMAC »