Author Topic: Masters of the Darkside  (Read 24305 times)

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
Re: Masters of the Darkside
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2003, 04:05 PM »
Never came across this set myself and refuse to pay the secondary market costs for it.  Since the Maul from this set is getting re-released on a Saga card in the near future, I'm hoping Hasbro will be equally as gracious and slap the corresponding Vader in as a Saga rehash sometime down the line as well.  It's definitely one of the better Vader sculpts from the pictures I've seen, and is worthy of finding it's way into many more collections than it has to date.  Here's to hoping!  Please prove me right Hasbro!

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2003, 06:09 PM »
I've never seen this in any store back in the days.  It's a very cool package, and hopefully I'll snag one off eBay some day.
dustrho

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2003, 01:52 AM »
I picked mine up at a local Wal-Mart back during their release...  They shipped several times to the same Wal-Mart actually, and I saw them a couple other times at other places as well, but that one Wal-Mart I saw them 3 different times in.

If only I'd known then what I know now...

But I did buy my one, and it's an ok set.  The Maul's supposedly making his way to a card this year?  The Vader may not be far behind, though I'd rather have the blaster shot deflecting Vader myself.

The Vader's the set highlight by far, but he's still not perfect.  Probably the tightest Vader sculpt though, and good soft goods cape.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2003, 11:37 PM »
Well, I can now finally add to this thread as I just got my MOTDS in the mail today, courtesy of Brent who really did well in hooking me up with one. I think it's a great looking set. Extremely pleased I am.  ;D

Offline no-wan

• Youngling
  • I Warn You Not to Under Estimate my Power !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2003, 12:21 AM »
Only saw 2. One on good card the other one a crappy card...Guess which one I bought !!!!  ;)

I think it was $15 !!
The New Sandcrawler Workshop

Offline Hung Solow

• Jedi Initiate
  • Public Enemy #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 1, 2003, 09:09 PM »
This was a hard to find item.  I saw 5 of them at a Wal-Mart in a little burg town about 45 minutes from Austin.  Had no $$$  that day.  Stashed one, and came back the next day.  ALL GONE!!!  
Blessed be the Maker and his Water, Blessed be the coming and the going of Him, May His passage cleanse the world. --- Dune: Dr. Kynes; Imperial Ecologist

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 2, 2003, 10:50 AM »
I saw one on a pretty dinged up card for $25 this weekend.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Sith Lord Cosmo

• Jedi Initiate
  • Detroit, WHAT?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 2, 2003, 06:01 PM »
I never saw any at the stores.  I may break down and get one on ebay, but I don't feel imcomplete without it
Hotter than Bond.  Cooler than Bullitt

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2003, 05:58 PM »
Well, it looks like all the loose collectors who missed out on this set in the past are definitely in luck now with the recent announcement that the upcoming ANH Vader is indeed the version from this MOTDS set, that many of us were hoping for.  Good for Hasbro!  I don't much care for all the rehashes on the way, but the Maul and Vader are a perfect example of the types of figures that SHOULD get "rehashed" and thrown onto a card, due to their previous rarity!

So is there anyone who falls into this boat, who no longer has to worry about finding themselves a MOTDS set for their collection now?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2003, 06:01 PM »
I'm still not totally convinced that this Vader is the real deal.  I can definitely understand that Hasbro would make the effort to re-issue it, with what the're currently doing.  I just don't consider the EE catalog that good of a source.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline max_one

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2003, 06:52 PM »
finally i'll be able to get the MotD set and hopefully not for an astronomical amount.

Offline nack5811

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2003, 10:34 AM »
I would realy like to get my hands on this.  I never saw it at retail ro in person.  I can't afford the ebay prices now.  Maybe some time in the future I wil be able totrade for it.  I am going to disney this summer for my Honeymoon (2 weeks, I can't wai tto get married  ;D) and I am going to pick up soem extra droids to do some trades. Hopefully someone will be needing these for the MOTDS.  who knows I could get lucky.  

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2003, 07:59 PM »
I think that people still looking for this set will have a bit of an easier time in the near future, now that the Maul from it is out in stores, with the Vader soon to follow.  That should appease the majority of the loose collectors looking for these at least, thus dropping the market value down a little bit for the carded collectors to finally get a more reasonable shot at it.

Of the reissued figures in this new Saga line, these are the two that by far make the most sense!  Good choice on these by Hasbro.

Now about that KE Jango Fett...   ::)

Offline roguestormtrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 2, 2003, 09:19 PM »
When MOTD first came out,  I found tons of them at one of my local Wal-Marts.  I snatched up about 4 or 5 of them and eventually traded them off,  except for one I kept for myself.  At the time everybody was going crazy trying to find 'em at retail and here I was with some extras,  so I was able to help out some people.  Furthermore,  I think the MOTD is indeed one of the best two packs to date. :)

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2004, 06:30 PM »
I had 3, two unopened and 1 that remains in my collection opened. I sold one to a frined and fellow collector for $20 and then traded the other for an Ephant Mon and some other figures I wanted. Bought all 3 at retail when I was on a work assignment in Jacksonville Florida.
Good set overall!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2004, 06:31 PM by TheBlackDog65 »
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3