Author Topic: Would you have changed the Preview Wave?  (Read 4944 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Would you have changed the Preview Wave?
« on: February 2, 2005, 11:36 PM »
Just wondering... I think that 3 of the 4 figures are great for the preview wave, but wish perhaps that they had added in a second army builder...

What if you could have changed the assortment, by taking one figure out and replacing it with another?  What would you have changed?

I would have moved either Tion Medon or R4G9 to the basic ROTS figure assortment, and added in a SA Clone Trooper...

So, my case assortment would have been -

4 x Clone Trooper
4 x Wookiee Warrior
2 x Grievous
2 x Tion Medon or R4G9

What do you all think?  Who the hell wouldn't have liked to see the SA Clone Trooper already?   :)

:P

SilverZ

Re: Would you have changed the Preview Wave?
« Reply #1 on: February 3, 2005, 12:28 AM »
If I was a marketing guy, I'd have made Darth Vader one of the Preview figures. Not that it would be personally what I'd want to see, but it would certainly get a point across about the movie's content.

I'd like SA Clones ASAP, but I see the reasoning in not repeating the AOTC Preview wave, and not bringing up the memories of the Preview Clone being inferior to every version of that figure that came in the following months.

Tion bores me to death, but mostly because I don't like the whole robed alien in a dress thing that is so popular in the PT. He could have been placed further back into the line. My choice of alien would be a Utapau Solider or Neimoidian Solider instead in the alien slot. Much more exciting, and I can't believe I just wrote "Neimoidian" and "exciting" in the same thought.

So mine would be:

4x Wookiee Warrior
4x General Greivous
3x Utapau/Neimoidian Soldier
1x Darth Vader

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: February 3, 2005, 12:58 AM »
I think a soldier you re-release later in the regular line more abundantly (even if you relase a lotta Preview figs) is a good idea...

I like an astromech myself though.  Hell I think astromechs should make it into tons of waves (classic and prequal) just because they sell, they cost little, and...  uh...  they sell.  I dig the little roving trash cans.

I think a Clone in the preview wave's a good idea.  A SA, action feature-less clone that would see a re-release LATER on after the film's blitz...  Or, if I had my way, he'd be the Clone relased in the regular line, but I digress.

The Wookie Warrior's good, especialy if he's getting a basic line variant too.

That'd leave a spot open for me to keep either Greivous or Tion, or nix them both...  Part of me says a Greivous, just to pump people, is necessary so I'd likely leave him.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #3 on: February 3, 2005, 01:31 AM »
I would have placed a version of Padme in the wave since she always gets shortchanged especially for a character that has many costumes changes, unlike Obi-Wan and Anakin.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #4 on: February 3, 2005, 03:19 AM »
I totally agree.  The only stinker is Tion and replacing him with any Padme - especially the buns version, with its nod to the OT - would have been much better.  I like the idea of Vader, too.  Any main character would have sufficed.  Robes Obi Wan?  Robes Mace?  I don't think Tion is interesting enough to make you curious the way Bossk or Boba Fett did back in the day.  Hell, even Mace from Episode 1. 

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 3, 2005, 08:04 AM »
I would of probably put a Vader in there as well. Since everyone knows who he is it would of grabbed alot non-collectors attention. And Wookies are great but Id rather have SA Clones.

My case ratio would of been:

4x Vader
4x SA Clone Trooper
2x R4-G9
2x General Grievous
I remember my dream now.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 3, 2005, 08:43 AM »
I tend to agree with putting Vader out there.  They are going to make a gagillion different Vader concepts regardless of when they release him.  Why not put him out there in the Preview wave? 

That or maybe another Clonetrooper of some sort. 

Mine would have been: 

Vader
General Grievous
Clone Trooper
Wookie Warrior

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 3, 2005, 09:08 AM »
I'm pretty happy the way it is.

I can see why Tion was included - his big noggin was pretty featured in the preview trailer.  Casual fans might want to know more about him - who is this funky ass alien with the nasty teeth.  (only to come to find out he's about as exciting as my local politician)

Wookiees and R2 droids are fun and well known - how many fans favorite characters are Chewie and R2-D2.  "New versions" of these classic characters draw the casual fans in.

And you have to include a villian.  AOTC it was Jango Fett, ROTS is Grievous.  And I think because Vader is going to be on every product from action figures to cereal boxes to tampons is why Hasbro didn't include him in the preview wave.  Overexposure.  Of course, Hasbro did release the Cantina Han on 18 gazillion cards, so what the hell do I know.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 3, 2005, 10:56 AM »
My only gripe with the R2 unit is that the AOTC preview one seemed to warm pegs... actually all of those figures did except for the Clonetrooper, which wasn't a hard figure to come by either.

These preview figures are definitely a higher quality than I expected...

So, in CHEWIE's perfect world, I would have probably taken out both the Tion Medon -and- the R2 unit.  Don't see any reason why they couldn't hae put them in a later assortment. 

I think the whole idea of a preview wave should be to hype the movie up... an astromech unit just doesn't seem to add to a lot of hype... I do like the Vader idea though!

So, without tardiness or delay, here is my updated list!

- Wookiee Warrior x 3
- Clone Trooper x 3
- Grievous Bodyguard x 2
- Vader x 2
- Grievous x 2

Who's to say that we shouldn't have had 5 preview figures.   :)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #9 on: February 3, 2005, 11:53 AM »
I like th epreview wave as is. No need for Clone troopers we have enough already.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 3, 2005, 11:57 AM »
I like th epreview wave as is. No need for Clone troopers we have enough already.

I respect that... but we don't have enough EP3 Clones (not even out yet  ;) ), and the SA Clone rocks... if you don't army build though, I guess you wouldn't really want to see them that much.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 3, 2005, 12:52 PM »
Funny that all that I army build are Clones.  ???
I remember my dream now.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 3, 2005, 02:13 PM »
I'm happy with the lineup.  It seems that the casepacks were better thought out this time around.  They seem to be heavier on the Wookiee and Grievous which both seem to sell well, whereas the AOTC preview wave was evenly packed and we wound up with Zam Wessel and R3-T7 warming the pegs.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 3, 2005, 04:06 PM »
Meanwhile, I'm sitting here peeing myself while watching Chewie's avatar :D  It's mean to think it's funny, and my daughter is only a little older than that, so I can fully imagine the sheer lack of fun dealing with the aftermath as a parent.  But damn, that's funny.

Ahem.  I think we have an army builder in here, don't we?  The Wookie Warrior?  He looks pretty easy to customize too and this coming from a non-customizer.  Trim off the chin braids and necklace thingy, remove the helmet or paint it a different colour and a minor paint app on the body and you have a whole different beast.  I bought some for another guy, but he backed out and I'll return the spare Tion and Grievous, but I think I'll keep this guy.  Those wookies must have tender shins though.  I'd have been wearing a cup if I were them.

Droids are great but I gotta wonder if we'll see this R4 in the movie.  I think the last droid was interesting, but did it warm the pegs because it never ended up in the flick? 

Grievous could have been left out, IMO.  We've got animated versions recently and outside those that watched the cartoon, no one knows who he is (remember, we're targeting kids and some non-regular fans here) so he looks like just some other droid. 

Tion is probably one of the figures I should return before I open it, simply because I can probably buy him loose, complete down the road for about $2.  That can probably be said for Grievous too.  Of course my whole wait and get them cheaper strategy is falling miserably by the wayside ::)

As for replacements, well, putting in a clone trooper would be entirely a no brainer.  They would just sell.  Period.  Everyone wants one, I never see a clone/stormie sitting on the pegs, so why not?  To hype the movie you need new characters I suppose is the rationale, but geez, they changed the helmet, that makes it new :P
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline starwax137

• Jedi Initiate
  • Go away.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 3, 2005, 04:33 PM »
Droids are great but I gotta wonder if we'll see this R4 in the movie. I think the last droid was interesting, but did it warm the pegs because it never ended up in the flick?

Yes, R4 is indeed in the movie.  He's Obi-wan's 'Starfighter Droid' or whatever you want to call it. This R4 unit is actually the one the fans designed via starwars.com.  And, by the way, the last droid was in the movie as well.  He was walking past in the background in the scene where Anakin and Obi-Wan drag Zam into the alleyway behind the Outlander Club. He is pretty hard to spot though.

;D