Author Topic: **** UPN- 'Enterprise' cancelled.  (Read 5195 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: **** UPN- 'Enterprise' cancelled.
« Reply #15 on: February 4, 2005, 12:11 AM »
I didn't care for this show myself...  That's just me though.  I was more PO'd that Spike took TNG and DS9 (right when they got rights to DS9) and put them on at like 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., when I can't watch them.

The evening timeslots rocked...   >:(

I've been taping them everyday for months, but four hours of Trek a day is pretty hard to fit into a day.

I guess the earlier timeslot is so that Spike can air bull**** like The Ultimate Fighter. Further proof that TV in general has officially gone to hell.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: February 4, 2005, 01:23 AM »
not to mention CSI re-runs, poker shows, and any other crap that isn't MXC that Spike airs...  (WWE excluded...  sorta)

It's crappity crap to me.  I want my Nerdy Nights back god dammit!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2005, 12:22 PM »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2005, 10:42 AM »
Last 2 episodes tonight.

The last voyage of the 'Enterprise'
Series goes off air Friday, leaving no new TV 'Treks'

Course heading, Captain?

Second star to the right, and straight on till morning.....

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2005, 02:20 PM »
^ Nice, well-thought-out article.

I watched the first season pretty religiously, only watched a few eps from the craptastic second and third seasons, and came back for the MUCH-improved fourth season.

If you'd asked me a year ago, I'd have said, "Good riddance, put the show out of its misery." But this season it was finally getting good (thanks to the new writers brought on board) and they chose NOW to decide to kill it??? *sighs* :'(
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 02:21 PM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2005, 03:23 PM »
Yeah, there's two episodes tonight. Peter Weller of Robocop fame is in one of them.

I bet the franchise won't stay dormant for long. It may be a while for a TV series, but it's been since 2002 for a flick.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 05:28 PM by inadvertent imitation »

SilverZ

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2005, 04:57 PM »
If you'd asked me a year ago, I'd have said, "Good riddance, put the show out of its misery." But this season it was finally getting good (thanks to the new writers brought on board) and they chose NOW to decide to kill it??? *sighs* :'(

That's exactly how I feel. I'd felt for years and years, starting before Enterprise, that the series needed a long rest and a serious rethink by new show runners before it came back. However, I found myself watching season 4, constantly shaking my head in disbelief of the cancellation. It made a radical jump in quality, and now I feel they'd have been better off seeing the show through to the normal 7 season run before putting the franchise on hiatus.

It’s too bad that the first 3 seasons were really a waste. I loved the premise as I was primarily a fan of the Original Series.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2005, 05:34 PM »
I heard it costs about $1.5 million for each episode, so if the ratings aren't there, I'm not surprised they pulled the plug.

I still think Enterprise would have done better in syndication instead of on UPN. I couldn't even watch seasons 2 and 3 since UPN wasn't here yet. ::)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2005, 07:49 PM »
Any one want a free star trek magazine, just shipping cost? My grandma grabbed it for me, thinking "Star." and lo and behold, I have this useless magazine here. PM me.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2005, 10:01 PM »
Just got done watching the last Enterprise episode.

Riker and Troi really had no place in it, IMO. For one thing, they don't look good in TNG uniforms. And another- it's not their show. They got their finale in 1994. I think it was offensive to the Enterprise cast members to have these two around for their last episode.

Guess that's it for TV Trek for a while. :-\

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2005, 06:25 PM »

Good. Star Trek sucks. I honestly can't say I care, I watched this one once or twice to see if it'd be better than the other stuff, but I didn't like it when I saw it. Anyways it is blasphemy to like both Star Wars and Star Trek, pick one damn it. ;)
"This is the way."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2005, 06:36 PM »
I heard the funniest thing about this.  Apparently some ST fan started a website in an effort to get people to contribute money so that the show would continue.  The idea was that the money contributed would be put towards the continued production of the show.

The interesting part is that the guy doing this was just a fan and had no association whatsoever with the production company that made ENTERPRISE.  He also had no affiliation with Paramount, either.  They in turn want nothing to do with this scheme.  And on top of it all, the guy may be getting charged with fraud for collecting all of this money from devoted Trekkies.  HI-larious, I tell you!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

SilverZ

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2005, 12:59 AM »
Just got done watching the last Enterprise episode.

Riker and Troi really had no place in it, IMO. For one thing, they don't look good in TNG uniforms. And another- it's not their show. They got their finale in 1994. I think it was offensive to the Enterprise cast members to have these two around for their last episode.

I totally agree. I was watching in disbelief last night. The send-off for the series, successful or not, gets boiled down to a Holodeck episode of TNG? The arrogance of Berman and Braga to step back in to write the finale, and make it a wankfest for a series that’s been off the air for 11 years is pretty astounding. It was absolutely insulting to both the cast of Enterprise and to the writing staff, which left to pick up the pieces after 3 **** seasons, went out fighting with some top-notch storytelling.

I just couldn’t believe the nerve of it all, and it spoke volumes to the real problem with the franchise. Berman and Braga have to be shown the door, because they’re full of themselves and blind to the fact that they’re ideas are tired, old, and unoriginal, and as long as their giant egos control the fate of the franchise, it won’t go anywhere.

Good. Star Trek sucks. I honestly can't say I care, I watched this one once or twice to see if it'd be better than the other stuff, but I didn't like it when I saw it. Anyways it is blasphemy to like both Star Wars and Star Trek, pick one damn it. ;)

Not that Enterprise was worth a **** until this last season, but there’s always room on TV for good sci-fi, and the last season was a real turn-around. But oh well. Dude, you'd better hope the Star Wars TV show doesn't suck ass. The last time I saw a television show based on a Lucasfilm property was Young Indy, and after two shows I was ready to jump out a window and plummet to my demise with a Wilhelm scream. :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2005, 01:00 AM by Tydirium »

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2005, 05:30 AM »

Not that Enterprise was worth a **** until this last season, but there’s always room on TV for good sci-fi, and the last season was a real turn-around. But oh well. Dude, you'd better hope the Star Wars TV show doesn't suck ass. The last time I saw a television show based on a Lucasfilm property was Young Indy, and after two shows I was ready to jump out a window and plummet to my demise with a Wilhelm scream. :)

Believe me, I'm a hopin'.

But if it does suck there's always Stargate :) ;)
"This is the way."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2005, 10:34 AM »
I honestly think Star Trek really hurt Sci Fi on Tv as a whole.  The writing for that show has never been all that great...even in the original series.

All the the Original Trek was groundbreaking for it's day, the writing was sub-par at best.  You can watch the very first episoed and then the very last episode of the series and the characters are EXACTLY THE SAME!  There was zero character growth throughout the entire series....poor writing in my opinion.

When TNG came along, it was just more of the same.  Every episode had the senior crew sitting around that damn conference room discussing their feelings on the subject at hand while they were in the middle of some crisis.  Couple that with the pseudo-science of just "remodulating" some divice with a name with little to no vowels in it and magically they were saved!  Again, we saw the same formula of no continuity through episodes to the point where you had plotlines completely contradicting previous episodes and people STILL watched the show! 

When DS9 came on, they actually tried to do something different, but again fell into the same routine.  At first, there was a lot of conflict between members of the crew, but after the first season, they were all the harmonious bunch of yes men just like every other trek crew.  What really angers me about this is at the same time, one of the best Sci Fi shows ever to hit television, Babylon 5, was on and while they had to struggle for each season to be aired, DS9 was picked up with no problems and they even blatantly stole the plot from B5 come the third season.

Voyager was pure crap from episode 1 to the series finale.  It was so bad that even Trekkies started complaining for the first time in 30 years instead of blindly watching and acting like lemmings.  So what do they do..."Here's the Borg....now shut up and keep watching".

They also made shows like Earth Final Conflict and Andromeda....these shows were absolutely horrible, but they slapped Gene Roddenberry's name on them so that they could attract the faithful Trekkies.

As far as the success of a Star Wars tv project?  Who knows?  We all know we're going to watch it, but if the writing isn't good, a lot of us would probably stop watching pretty quick.
This is the way.

I have spoken.