Author Topic: ROTS carded figures  (Read 61348 times)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: ROTS carded figures
« Reply #270 on: February 17, 2005, 03:13 PM »
So, ok.  I'm going to voice a complaint here (go figure, a star wars collector whining) - is Chewbacca like the runt of his family, or what?  Just young and small, lack of testosterone, piss poor genetics?  Why is he such a midget? 

My point being why is scale suddenly irrelevant?  All along Chewbacca has approximated his appearance in the movies relative to other characters, all of whom were to be in scale to Luke, yes?  Now why is everything bigger?  I'm all for big wookies, that's cool, but are we going to now have preggers Padme standing shoulder to shoulder with Chewbacca (everything pre-ROTS anyway)?

This is just my opinion.  But I think Lucas wanted everyone to be able to tell for certain who and where Chewbacca is at all times during the film.  So, they purposely made all of the Wookies larger.  Oh, I am sure we'll get some sort of explanation that Chewy is 200 years younger than the rest or something like that.  I just think he wanted Chewy to be distinguished amongst the other Wookies.  

Again just my opinion.  

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 17, 2005, 03:14 PM »
I could live with that I suppose. 

But what is that in that picture that Mikey posted?  A flying egg?  Howard the Duck invades the Star Wars Universe :o
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 17, 2005, 03:18 PM »
Yeah, Chewie does seem a bit small (or other wookiees a tad big).  I remember on one of the ROTS "web docs" on Hyperspace, they talked about Chewie is "just a little kid" I believe as Rob Coleman put it, when he was explaining the upcoming scene to the other wookiees.  I guess that could be why the others seem a bit bigger, but from the pictures I've seen, the size difference isn't that big (between wookiees) in the movie, although the figures look like a different case.  It would be interesting to see the ROTS Chewie next to the ROTS Tarfful figures and see if there is that much difference.  I don't mind Tarfful, or other wookiees, being taller than Chewie, but they are just all around much, much bigger.

I agree with you about that pic too Mikey.  I really like that pic, and think its cool, but Yoda shouldn't even be knee high on the wookiees, should he?  As small as he was next to Luke, I would think the furballs would tower over him.  Boy I feel like a nerd right now, complaining that "the scale between Yoda and the wookiees isn't nearly accurate enough" (pushes up glasses). :)  Anyways, hopefully it will look good on screen.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 17, 2005, 03:20 PM »
Tarfull ain't bigger by any stretch of the imagination in that pic.  In fact, it could be argued that he's smaller than Chewie.  Like I said, somewhere the scale got screwed up.  I tend to believe (and based on that pic alone) that all Wookiees are basically Chewie's size.  For some reason, Hasbro decided that Wookiees should be enormous.  It'll be interesting to see the ROTS Chewie next to Tarfull and the preview Warrior.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 17, 2005, 03:23 PM »
I agree Mikey, and if anyone here has seen the publicity shot of Chewie and Tarfful standing next to each other (in a "buddy" pose), they are basically the exact same height (its currently on Hyperspace if you are subscribed, but I think it has shown up elsewhere).  Tarfful might be a bit bulkier, but otherwise they are very similar in stature.  Seeing as the wookiees are one of my favorite parts of the Star Wars universe, it will bother me if they are totally out of whack in scale when it comes to the figures.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 17, 2005, 03:29 PM »
So in other words, Lucas has it right and Hasbro bitched it again?  I know it's an odd concept, but I actually want my figures from different movies to be in scale to each other.   ::)  In other words, I want my POTF2 Chewie to be approximately (I know the size has changed slightly over the years) the same size as the ROTS Chewie and that doesn't look to be so, given the other wookies are just plain bigger based on the RS shot. 

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go fix the tape holding my glasses together :-X
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 17, 2005, 03:30 PM »
Personally, I don't mind variations in height among the Wookies. All humans aren't the same height, so why should Wookies be all the same height?

The actual height of Tarful is difficult to tell from that shot with Yoda simply because (a) they are on a hill and (b) Tarful isn't at the same depth as Chewie - Chewie is closer and thus might appear "taller".

My hope is that the farewell picture is a DRAFT composite shot combining the digital environment and the three actors and since it was originally created, the characters have been adjusted for correct size (specifically Yoda reduced in size). Otherwise, it might be argued that Yoda is closest to the viewer and he is indeed only about Knee-high on the wookies.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 17, 2005, 03:36 PM »
My hope is that the farewell picture is a DRAFT composite shot combining the digital environment and the three actors and since it was originally created, the characters have been adjusted for correct size (specifically Yoda reduced in size). Otherwise, it might be argued that Yoda is closest to the viewer and he is indeed only about Knee-high on the wookies.

That's something I was thinking of as well, maybe that shot is due to perspective.  I do know that Tarfful and Chewie (or more accurately, the actors that play them) are approximately the same height, because in that promo shot they are standing shoulder to shoulder, and are almost exactly the same height.  No big deal if the wookiees are different heights from each other, I agree, but I'm more concerned with Brent...if the wookiees (are actually, Chewie) from the ROTS line is ginormous compared to past figures.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 17, 2005, 03:44 PM »
So can it be assumed that ROTS Chewie is the same height as Tarfull and the Preview Warrior? (he really needs a name.  We'll just call him Bob for now)  You would think that Hasbro saw the pic of Tarfull and Chewie that's Brian's talking about and I'm sure they got some reference pic of Bob also and based their toys on them.  Chewie should be the same height as Bob and Tarfull.  If that's the case, like Brent said, Hasbro ****** up again. 

Common sense isn't so common

Offline starwax137

• Jedi Initiate
  • Go away.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 17, 2005, 05:35 PM »
Where's that pic from, anyway? I hadn't even seen it yet.

And yeah, I'd be pretty mad if RotS Chewie is noticably taller than he is twenty years later. It's not like he's getting old and shrinking. Or am I just giving Hasbro excuses? ::)

Also, I heard a rumor that these figures were actually 4" scale not 3 3/4" scale. But as we all know, rumors don't usually mean squat. Let's just hope this one lives up to that standard.

8)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #280 on: February 17, 2005, 06:25 PM »
Yeah, the wookie debate continues...  I'm sorta thinking they're blowing the Wookies up in size too, just a tad.

Tarful and Bob shouldn't maybe tower or Yarua and Chewie like this, but who knows...  It's starting to look fishy to me though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

SilverZ

« Reply #281 on: February 17, 2005, 09:04 PM »
Tarfull is too big in comparison now that we've seen the Chewbacca/Tarfull side by side shot, but in many of the leaked picks previously, I was under the impression that Chewie was a runt in comparison. It's not a drastic thing, and in the case of Wooks I'd prefer them to be slightly overscaled than underscaled compared to the rest of the line. I'm actually much more concerned with that absolultely crap highlight paint job happening on the figure. The yellow highlights ruin the look of the figure.

I'm really pleased to see that the Bodyguards look to be so articulated. For some reason I was expected shoddy BD quality from them. They're much better suited for proper dueling stances against Obi, now. :)

Dooku is turning out to be (so far) my favorite figure, though. He looks perfect! And he appears to be fully spoiler equipped at all proper points.

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 17, 2005, 11:01 PM »

OK, I may be late on this but did anyone else notice it comes w/ a red lightsaber?  Will Anakin rock the red at some point?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #283 on: February 17, 2005, 11:07 PM »
yes

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 17, 2005, 11:09 PM »
yes

Oh Man!!!

Looking at that just gave me the chills!!

Whew! That is a great image! 

Anakin looks so, estrange?  Awesome!! :P

Although, nothing freaks me out worse then this:

« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 11:11 PM by Mainland05 »
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)