Author Topic: ROTS carded figures  (Read 61345 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
ROTS carded figures
« on: November 15, 2004, 09:47 PM »

There ya have 'em, action features and all.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: ROTS carded figures
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 09:49 PM »
From first glance, I like and hate Obi-Wan. It's cool that he has both a lit and unlit saber, but that shoulder joint with the raised arm- blech.

Mace- well, it's a Mace figure, so my expectations are low. This about meets them, but slighty lower, since there's no gawddamn cloak.

R2 unit- meh, it's been done.

Tion- bring it on. Crazy aliens kick ass. :)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Woops, Chewie was first, merge away!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 09:49 PM »
http://www.galactichunter.com/absolutenm/templates/full_article_template_1.asp?articleid=3618&zoneid=2

They look helluah better than Saga, but still the basic figures look somewhat cartoony. However, even the action featue Obi looks promising with a sperate lightsabre hilt.

Mace, however dosen't actually appear to be action-feature laden at all. Infact, he appears to be SA.

Also of note, all the figures looks to be pretty damn cool. Especially the Super Battle Droid.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 09:50 PM by Vator »
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Woops, Chewie was first, merge away!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 09:51 PM »
Oop. I started a thread too. ???  :P

Much merging to be done.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 10:00 PM »
Mergy-merged.   :)

Dang I wish those were clearer pictures!   :(

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 10:03 PM »
Jesus H. Christ, those BINs are high. $200? That's half a month's rent.

It'd make a kick-ass Christmas gift, though. :)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 10:13 PM »

Both Mace and Obi look to have leg squeezing action features.  This is something I said they should do during AOTC era if they had to do them.  This is ala the old Super Powers figures

Also...check out the backs

Row 1 appears to be: Obi-Wan, Anakin and Yoda
Row 2 appears to be: Super Battle Droid, Chewbacca and Clone Trooper
Row 3 appears to be: R2-D2, General Grievous' Sidekick and General Grievous

SilverZ

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 10:23 PM »
Interesting that the Sneak Preview figures are actually on ROTS cards. I thought they'd be on transition cards. So wait, if these are final product for Wave 1,  we're only half way through November, and they're supposed to street in April, there's going to be a lot of leaked toys. If the Sneak Preview figures are on the same packaging as the realt ROTS wave, every toy-stocking knuck in the world is going to just plop them out on the shelves.

Couple other things:

I don't like how lost in the molten much the figures get lost on the card.

If those are Collection 1 figures I'm not all that offended by the action features at this point. The squeeze leg thing is a lot less annoying than a giant button out the back.

Not much surprise in the C1 lineup, either. It sure sounds like the creativity will be in C2.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004, 10:41 PM »
Poseable, and a hidden feature are good.  Can't say what the leg poseability is, but the arms are looking good.  To me I'm not underwhelmed...  So far.

MILES better than Saga's initial offerings, without a doubt.

The photos are so grainy and terrible, that making out any real detail is a pain in the ass...

The astromech I'm actually happy to get, as I would buy repaints of Astromechs all year round.

Tion's been seen so I'm not excited on him.

Like others, I wish the photos were clearer.  I'd like to see Obi and Mace closer up and higher res, but to me they look half decent...  Surprisingly.  Short of them having a possible button, which seems very unlikely now, I'm content. 

I'm happy to see that, even with action features, they're waking up to the realization that articulation is a BIG aspect to the Boys Toys market, and that it can make or break a toy line.  Took them what, 26 years or so?  :)  Way to go.   :P
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2004, 10:54 PM »
I'm fairly happy.  The cards grow on me, and the articulation seems to stick around even with the action features, so these are miles ahead of AOTC as others have said.

Collection 1 Wave 1 seems pretty straight forward.  I wonder if Chewie will be new or simply a repack of the VOTC fig.  Another flying R2?  Ok.  Can't wait to see more.

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2004, 12:39 AM »
Worst cards ever!!!!!.
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline amarsella

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2004, 01:50 AM »
Worst cards ever!!!!!.

My thoughts exactly. They really look bad. I'm not a fan of the current center bubble cards and this ROTS packaging makes those look like works of art.
Put on your old fur coat, it's 1973

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2004, 02:04 AM »
Just throwing in my dislike of the cards too.  Figures so far getting a +, and cards a - for me.  Craptacular guys!

The OTC spoiled us.  Won't be long till it's back I believe.  :)  Or at least I hope...
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

SilverZ

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2004, 04:39 AM »
I can't believe I'm about to defend these cards!  :-\

They're not my favorite thing in the world, by far. My original thought was that the figure gets lost in all the overdesigned lava mess which I think is not only ugly, but is actually boring. I can't stand the stylized Vader. It's just stupid looking.

But - I totally understand why they went with the packaging the way they did. It looks brand new. For retailers, I think it does a good job disassociating itself with legacy SW lines. It feels fresh and has a much more contemporary feel. Just what it needs to get picked up by kids, since they insist on this being their market.

I'm sure you're right Jesse, and we'll quickly be back to something more OTC-ish asap. At least I hope so! In the meantime at least the figures even in Collection 1 seem to be pretty solid. I'm a hella lot happier than when the likes of Shaak Ti hit in '02.  :)

The Sneak droid seems to have a great paint deco to him. It almost looks metalized on the center leg, doesn't it? You'd think after selling figures at $200 BINS, they could afford a better camera.  ;)

EDIT: Gah, the other thing is the Sneak cards show the Anakin Starfighter on the back. Would be nice to see a better shot of that, too.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 04:41 AM by Tydirium »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2004, 08:54 AM »
I'm with everyone else, too bad the photos aren't a little bit clearer.  That said, I'm glad we're getting little "peeks" this early, because I'm really looking forward to what this line might have to offer.  From what we can see, I don't think they look too bad.  The pics we've gotten the past several weeks (mock ups, preview figs, etc.), the figures all seem to be pretty well done, well articulated, etc., and continuing in the tradition of some of the best we've gotten lately.  Hard to see how great this Obi and Mace is, but from what we can see, they don't look too bad.

I'd just as soon there were no action features in the figures, but if it is something tied into "squeezing legs", I don't mind that nearly as much as the horrific buttons in the back or side.  I can live with Super Powers type of action features, especially since it is quite likely we'll get better versions later on or in Collection 2.  I'm not exactly crazy about the cards, but I can also see what Tydirium is saying about these too.  They will definitely be a shift from the norm, and differentiate them from past Star Wars lines.  They are trying something different, and that's ok I guess.  I'll welcome a shift back to OTC style cards in the future though.  Overall, the ROTS line continues to look pretty good, I hope that continues.  Really starting to get hyped for this movie, and hopefully we'll get more (and clearer) shots here in the future.