Author Topic: 2005 Toy Fair!  (Read 24150 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Toy Fair 2005 - Feb 19th-23rd
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2005, 08:53 AM »
On the figures....and keep in mind, and I freely admit that I'd don't buy prequels (or even acknowledge their existence)....but....second shelf from the bottom...the removable helmet Clonet trooper..is that a Stormtrooper Helmet as well as a ROTS Clone Trooper helmet?

The ships look cool and might get worked into my Star Wars universe like the Republic Gunship (Blackhawk) did...but when Jesse Pops my balloon about scale..I mean within the span of a year other companies will introduce accurate scaled Jet Fighters, Twin Engine Fighter/bombers, Mustangs, M1 Abrahms tanks and even a Stagecoach...I'd think Hasbro could make a litte more effort.  Or if Lucas had enough fore-though into his little cash-cow he would have made the ship smaller in the CGI world so that it would translate to toys better...

And when I first saw the picture of the Playset, I thought is was "Doh Doh Island" the playdoh set that my daughter has....I'll have to judge that after I see it in person.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2005, 09:04 AM »
Ya know what Jared, I'm gonna call bull**** on the Official site's "22.85 meter" number currently.  I was looking at 50" on a tape measure and comparing... 

Then I was looking at ARC screen shots and a pilot's head in a cockpit bubble...  It ain't adding up just eyeballing it.  Sounds like the Official Site's full of official **** and is maybe over-estimating this.  I could very well be wrong, but 50" is HUUUUUUUUUGE for a wingspan.  We're talking massive for a "fighter".

That's the length given for some OT fighters I think.

I'm wondering if that's a site misprint or if specs/diagrams will alter this...

The ****** thing about Star Wars sources is that they're inaccurate often.  The AT-AT on the official site lists it at like 15 meters or so I think, and the movies prove it's nowhere near that small.  That the number is off by 5 or 6 meters at least. 

With this crap being CGI more often than not, it makes it 1000 times more difficult to say that "this is this long" because a physical model isn't there where an ILM Model-Builder can say "we built it to such and such scale, then changed that number, etc..."

So I'm not gonna judge the ship just yet, but the toy's pictures make me think it's underscaled just eyeballing the two.  The 22.85m number's gonna about solidify that if that's an accurate figure, but I'm not sure that the Official Site has their **** together on that one.  I'll wait for final judgment but things just don't look good on my end...  The toy's hull area looks ok until the nose...  The wings, it's tough to tell, and there's not a ton of ARC Shots out there.

Anyone wanna post any REAL clear screen captures of them that they happen to have? :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2005, 09:32 AM »
Initial thoughts on these pictures...

ARC-170 - so far, I'm digging it.  Can't wait to see some better pictures of it to figure out how many figures can go for a ride...

Mustafar - no wonder no one's been leaking pictures of that thing, it's pretty lame.  Let's hope the back side of the Volcano doesn't suck too hard.  But, like Jared said I guess I end up buying it once it's on clearance thanks to my basic figure OCD.   :-\

Vs 2-packs - looking dumber and dumber every time I see them... I'm starting to wonder if they come off those giant ugly bases?

I can't wait to see some close-ups of those figures... what exactly is the deal with the 2 helmets for the AT-TE Gunner dude?  Is it like a standard Clone Helmet and then a AT-TE Gunner Helmet or something?   :-\

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2005, 09:34 AM »
Mustafar - no wonder no one's been leaking pictures of that thing, it's pretty lame.  Let's hope the back side of the Volcano doesn't suck too hard.  But, like Jared said I guess I end up buying it once it's on clearance thanks to my basic figure OCD.

Am I the only one thinking about stealing a 3rd grade science project instead of buying that?  Slap a door on...  hell the Endor Bunker playset even. 

Voila!

EDIT:

BTW, I think it's perhaps a gunner's helmet Jeff.  Seems reasonable speculation right now anyway...

And on the ARC issue, there's a production sketch at SW.com and it looks closer to the toy, possibly.  Sketches are always all over the place sometimes though.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 09:36 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2005, 09:44 AM »
Nice to get a little "preview", with hopefully loads of pictures to come over the weekend.  Some thoughts....

Basic Figures - We've probably gotten some looks at the majority of these already the way it looks, but I'm always anxious to see some closer, different shots that we get during Toy Fair.  Looks like a nice mix of figures coming up, and most everything has looked pretty good I think.  Looking forward to seeing the pics of these, all of the clones look amazing to me.

ARC 170 - Looks pretty good, even if not to scale.  These are the types of ships I enjoy the most...the "fighters", I'm pretty certain I'll be picking it up, but can't wait to see more pics.

Mustafar Playset - From the initial viewing, not too impressive.  Not really what I was expecting at all.  I ended up passing on the Arena playset last time around (didn't have the room), but thought about making room for this one.  Maybe it will look better once we see some more pics/features, but right now, not too cool.

Vs Packs - Yikes, I agree, not too good.  When I first heard the concept of these, I thought they would be awesome....but now, like I mentioned another time, they just remind me of that Episode I "Maul vs. Qui Gon" battle game that my sister in law got me when it went on Christmas.  Just bash them together until one falls off.  Hopefully they are better than that.

Just a side note...not that I'm surprised...but looks like no semblance of OT offerings at all, at least not as far as this "preview" is concerned.  Maybe they'll surprise us and put out some other figures throughout the Fair.  I didn't expect much (or any), with the new movie coming out, but I wonder if we'll see anything this year...maybe towards Christmas/end of 05.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2005, 09:51 AM »
I'm loving the ARC fighter, but we shall see how that pans out. The clones look frickin amazing, and I hope we get some more real soon, like say, I don't know, a multi pack?

That Mustufar looks horrid. Absolutley horrid. I suppose it looks awsome as all hell to a 4 or 5 year old, but for me, the 18 year old collector, it just doesn't cut the cheese.

I'm still up in the air myself about the VS packs. If I get them, and they suck, theyre either being returned, sold, or used for custom fodder. I really don't like the looks of things for those.

I do like the giant card back that they are using to greet you at Toy Fair.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2005, 10:30 AM »
Mustafar - what a letdown, yet I'll get it - I want more playsets so bad that I'll get it, and will repaint it big time

ARC 170 - no complaints here - I'll get one right off the bat and a second a little later

2-pks - want to see some better images, and I'm sure they come off their bases.  If not, I'll make them come off.   ;)

:P

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2005, 12:20 PM »
Well - I'm going to respond to my own post based on what we've seen from Hasbro's site...

1) A good look at the ARC-170 and the Mustafar playset. I hope both are done well but both could end up *bleh* - for the ARC-170 if it's been scaled down so much that it only accomodates ONE pilot, I will be VERY disappointed. With the playset, if they make it so it can be added to later like the Droid Factory section of the Arena playset, then I'll be okay with it, but if it's flimsy and gimmicky like the Theed Hangar playset then I'll be disappointed.

The ARC-170 looks good - I haven't gotten as good of a look at it as I'd like, but I like the packaging AND I like the fact that it looks like it will accomodate at least two pilots - I don't see an Astromech in the ship that's hanging - but that could be a GOOD thing - it might mean the ship simply has a socket that will acctually ACCOMODATE an R2 unit!

The Mustafar playset is, as I feared, small, looks lame and some of those areas sticking off to the side of the volcano look a bit flimsy. I guess they're limited on what they can do and keep the price point under $50. I'm a tad bit concerned that the Obi-Wan and Anakin figures might be permanently attached to those large disks - they are displayed that way AND they are shown that way on the packaging. Something tells me that this playset only really covers the climax of the final fight - notice how on the packaging it looks like one of the lava-flows looks like a slide? I can see it now...

"Hey kids, re-inact Anakin's painful dip in a river of lava! Place your Anakin figure at the top of the Mustafar playset and watch him slide his way to his bionic future as the evil Darth Vader!"  ::)

2) At least ONE item we hadn't heard solid confirmation of yet: Whether that be the AT-TE or the Turbo Tank, I don't really care which of the two really - I'm just really hoping that Hasbro will deliver on one of these larger vehicles.

Well - unfortunately NEITHER of these vehicles is on display. UGH! Perhaps they are going to take a "Wait and See" approach to see how well the line sells.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2005, 12:45 PM »
Yeah.... I hope an AT-TE is on taps...

:P

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2005, 12:53 PM »
I hope we do end up seeing an AT-TE. 

It looks like a good possibility because of the AT-TE Gunner figure, but like others have said just because you get the figure doesn't mean the vehicle is coming anytime soon.  After all, we're still waiting for a Cloud Car for the Cloud Car Pilot figure, a Death Star Playset for the DS Gunner figure, etc, etc.  :-\

So, I'm not holding my breath for the AT-TE just in case it never shows...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2005, 02:35 PM »

Lame, although it reminds me of one of my favorite all time playsets

Cool beyond all words

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2005, 02:47 PM »
I just noticed in that pic that the packaging for the Mustafar playset says "Includes Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Vader!"  More proof that Anakin gets the name before he gets the suit.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2005, 03:59 PM »
unless there is more than we're seeing, the mustafar set is just not hitting it.  :(
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2005, 07:45 PM »
I'm just not as pumped for Toy Fair this year in general, I think mostly because there's basically ZERO new Original Trilogy stuff on tap, which is always a disappointment.  Granted, I realize this will likely pan out much like the Saga line did, with the emphasis on the current movie, and the OT stuff filtering out late in the year.  I can wait, I just won't be getting super pumped on the ROTS showing this weekend in NY.  Besides, most of it we've already seen.  I want some cool surprises, dammit!

I just noticed in that pic that the packaging for the Mustafar playset says "Includes Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Vader!"  More proof that Anakin gets the name before he gets the suit.

Yeah, that's what I mentioned in another thread here last night somewhere.  Definitely a big give away there.  Looks like Scott had that theory nailed all along!

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2005, 08:01 PM »
Are those free Anakin/Obi-Wan playset figs non-articulated? :-\
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks