Author Topic: Well, my body is finally telling me somthing...  (Read 5428 times)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Well, my body is finally telling me somthing...
« on: February 12, 2005, 06:48 AM »
I like so man people, eat deep fried, fast food ALOT. Like, as much as I can get my hands on. Recently though, not so much. Anytime I get near a deep fried food such as French Fries, Tots, Motzerella sticks, I get kind of nausiated, and when I eat it, my insides hurt. I figured this is my bodys way of telling me to stay away from the deep fried foods. The only thing I can still eat deep fried is chicken wings, for some reason, but I havent eaten many of those.

I also am starting to get heartburn every time I drink a cola, or a carmel based drink. So I think my body is saying somthing there. At one point I had quit drinking cola all together, and I felt like 100% better a week after. I think I'm going to have to do that again.

Anyone else have a similar health experience?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Well, my body is finally telling me somthing...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 03:50 PM »
Dude, hell of a time to make this topic, 10 days ago I fell asleep after dinner and woke up 3 hours later at 2 AM and my esophagus was on FIRE!!!!!  Just a day or two ago it cleared up, longest case of heartburn I ever heard about. So bad, that I actually gave up coffee 1 day breaking my streak of having coffee every morning for about 15 straight years.  It killed to swallow, it put me through the ceiling.  I asked one of my MD colleagues what I should do and he recommended famotidine H+ blockers for a few days.  I'm like 98% better now.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Matt Carroll

• Jedi Initiate
  • Who shot who in the what now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 04:42 PM »
I like so man people, eat deep fried, fast food ALOT. Like, as much as I can get my hands on. Recently though, not so much. Anytime I get near a deep fried food such as French Fries, Tots, Motzerella sticks, I get kind of nausiated, and when I eat it, my insides hurt. I figured this is my bodys way of telling me to stay away from the deep fried foods. The only thing I can still eat deep fried is chicken wings, for some reason, but I havent eaten many of those.

I have had the exact same problem with overly-greasy fried foods for the last 3 years or so. I can't eat pretty much anything from fast-food places anymore without my stomach really not being happy. I can get away with eating fries or chicken tenders from sit-down restaurants, most of the time though.
Matt Carroll
udflyerman (at) gmail (dot) com
Always looking for rare/unusual Darth Vader items to add to my collection

Offline SiteC

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • SiteC's Figure Collection Page
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005, 08:20 PM »
i thought I was going to open this thread and you were going to tell everyone how your water broke and you are currently giving birth to a litter of puppies....

Anyway.  I enjoy my deep fried foods.  If it wouldn't be for deep frying I'd probably starve, I deep fry everything including bacon.  i should live down south where they fry everything...
The only fast food that gives me the schnitz is long john silvers, but their food is oh, oh so worth it....

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 02:06 AM »
I'm starting to feel the effects of my years of smoking now.
My lungs are telling me "stop huffing burning carcinogen-soaked ash into us!"

It's so much so that I'm seriously considering quitting, because it hurts sometimes.  :-\
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 01:14 PM »
Ok.  I waited.  I said nothing.  I waited some more.  Now I have to say....

neener, neener, neener - welcome to the ravages of getting older, younguns :D :P  Been there, felt that, been through, went around the block and came back to do it again.  Here's the short version - you ain't 16 anymore and your body is beginning to fail :-*  I'm getting a huge kick out of it, but you shouldn't.  You are definitely being told something.  Your lifestyle (eating habits and possibly lack of exercise) are going to kill you, much more quickly than you'd like, if you don't listen. 

I was lucky in some respects, I stayed super active physically until around 27, when I got into grad school and learned what it meant to sit at a desk for inordinate amounts of time.  Couple that with a few too many leg injuries and I suddenly found out how easy it was to eat everything and never work out.  It was awesome.  My weight went up to 230 and I started to have esophageal reflux, intestinal problems and developed an intolerance to caffeine.  Lemme tell ya, that caffeine can do one heck of a job of cleaning you out.  But you learn ways around things ;)  You learn what you can and cannot eat or you learn ways to "coat" your stomach so you can eat the things you love (and I don't mean pepto - having some starchy food in there for a bit before injesting wings or caffeine can work wonders) even though you shouldn't. 

About five years ago I was playing in our high school alumni basketball tournament.  It used to be a real fun joke, I'd play three games a year, three days in a row and that was all the real exercise I'd get.  After the first game that year we went to the bar.  I felt like crap.  I was dizzy, pale and really short of breath.  I wasn't sure, but it felt pretty close to a heart attack.  I was 36.  It wasn't, but I couldn't drink beer for about two hours, I only drank water.  I. Couldn't.  Drink.  Beer. :o :'(  I wanted to, but was too busy trying to breathe and not fall over.  That's a wee bit of a wake up call, no?

As far as food goes, I still pretty much have a cast iron stomach - only caffeine on an empty stomach will kill me.  Everything else I can take.  But I can't do Coke for breakfast anymore.  I can't do soda/pop and chips for lunch, I'll pay the price. 

Sage advice, listen to what you're being told Kevin.  You're young enough that your body will still respond rapidly.  An old fart like me?  Rotsa ruck, it's a huge effort to lose weight and I have to be very careful what I eat.  Most candy is gone from my diet.  I'm on diet pop pretty much exclusively (oh how I long for Coke Classic :-\).  I still eat too much fast food, but when I do, some other meal during the day goes missing to compensate and those hunger pains are no fun.  That or I opt for those "healthy" options - the Turkey BLT or an Oriental salad.  No more double Quarter Pounders supersized.  Exercise is necessary, if not horribly fun - rowing, basketball, weights, stationary bike, running - all has to be done.  It all sucks for the most part (basketball moreso for what I've lost in skill and speed thanks to 10 years off). 

Good luck.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 01:19 PM »
Man, you sound like my mom.  :P ;)
j/k

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 01:32 PM »
Is she hot? :-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2005, 03:27 PM »
Yeah. I know I need to start eating differently, and stop the sodas. Ive moved away from carmelated sodas, and onto clear ones, and then I'm quitting. I really don't like feeling so sluggish. I'm also starting to sleep a more normal pattern, and eating breakfast. Plus, with the only McDonalds in town closed and being demolished, the temptation is going away. I have subway for my food needs. I always load up on veggies.

Kevin

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2005, 04:01 PM »
Yeah, ever since I got married I have not excercised much at all.  Bad move on my part.  I am up to 168 and should be around 150-155 for my height.  The wife gave birth in November.  She is trying to lose weight.  I am joining with her. 

However, I noticed last year that I can't just go out and run 2-3 miles with the no problem like I used to be able to.  At first I thought it was because I had not ran for awhile.  But the more I ran the more I realized it's my age.  I have lost a lot of natural speed that used to be there no matter how in shape or out of shape I was.       

Now my running is actually just a jogging pace which sucks.  Now it's definately going to be more work instead just run a few weeks and the weight is gone no matter what I eat.  Now I am going to have to watch what I eat and the proportions and excercise just to break even.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2005, 05:38 PM »
Is she hot? :-*

I dunno. But she doesn't like Canadians.  :D ;)

zing!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2005, 07:27 PM »
When I graduated from college 5 years ago, I was actually pretty ripped at 5'7" 140lbs and could run 10 miles no problem and bench 220.  Not anymore, I haven't worked out once since then.  Now I only weigh 150, but am definitely in horrible shape.  I've gained only 10 net lbs, but probably lost 20 lbs of muscle, which means I gained 30 lbs in fat.  When I look in the mirror with my shirt off I have to suck my gut in.   :)

Last year I decided to go for a run one day - about 2 miles and I thought I was gonna die.  I eat like crap now.  Pizza and wings almost every day for 5 years straight.  And a microwavable macaroni and cheese for breakfast on the way to work.  And I drink at least 7-8 cokes a day.  Oh God.

I keep telling myself I need a change... I get a pain in my heart about once or twice a week.  Usually when eating like crap.  Is that just heartburn I hope?

I'm thinking about taking Cortislim or something to lose 5-10 lbs as I have no desire in the world to work out.  Does that stuff work?  Is that a dumb idea?

:P

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2005, 07:32 PM »
I'm thinking about taking Cortislim or something to lose 5-10 lbs as I have no desire in the world to work out.  Does that stuff work?  Is that a dumb idea?

Ive heard nothing but good about Cortislim, and it's endorse by one of my favorite Radio Personalities, Phil Hendrie. It's not for me though. I'm saving some money so I can get on the Power 90 weightloss program, and see if that works for me. I'm 6' 1" and at a very unhealthy 270-275 lb weight area, and I'm just tired of it. Weightloss here I come.

Kevin

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2005, 09:22 PM »
When I graduated from college 5 years ago, I was actually pretty ripped at 5'7" 140lbs and could run 10 miles no problem and bench 220.  Not anymore, I haven't worked out once since then.  Now I only weigh 150, but am definitely in horrible shape.  I've gained only 10 net lbs, but probably lost 20 lbs of muscle, which means I gained 30 lbs in fat.  When I look in the mirror with my shirt off I have to suck my gut in.   :)

Last year I decided to go for a run one day - about 2 miles and I thought I was gonna die.  I eat like crap now.  Pizza and wings almost every day for 5 years straight.  And a microwavable macaroni and cheese for breakfast on the way to work.  And I drink at least 7-8 cokes a day.  Oh God.

I keep telling myself I need a change... I get a pain in my heart about once or twice a week.  Usually when eating like crap.  Is that just heartburn I hope?

Cortisol is a hormone that's released from a layer of your adrenal gland in response to stress.  It generally frees up glucose (sugar) from glycogen (stored sugar) in your liver cells.  If unused, it becomes deposited in fat, expanding the cell, expanding your flab.  However, as your brain, kidneys, eye, and red blood cells are obligate users of this glucose, blocking cortisol could potentially be dangerous, if placed in stressful situations.

My opinion, cut your fat down to 30 g a day, and 1,800 calories.  You'll drop 10 pounds the first month.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2005, 10:03 PM »
So I take it Morgbug, it's all down hill from here!!! :-\ Man getting old sucks!!! Why can't they invent a fountain of youth in a bottle!!! :'(
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent