Author Topic: JD Fantasy Baseball 2005  (Read 88644 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Baseball 2005
« Reply #510 on: June 17, 2005, 08:02 PM »
I may even be in 4th place in a few days.  3 of my 6 pitchers were out for a while, Wood and Bedard STILL are not back.  Patterson just came back.  Peavy was sick.  I was basically running on Myers and Burnett, and both were slumping.  This came at the same time that my entire offense was slumping except for Victor Martinez and Eric Chavez.  In sum, it was an awful month.  Next month will be different!!  It's my championship until one of you take it from me, and I am not going quietly, this much I promise with capital "P".

:D

« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 08:03 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 17, 2005, 11:36 PM »
 ::)

100 points from 1st to 6th and this is what we get.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 18, 2005, 01:41 AM »
Holy crap what got into Scott's team!?  :o

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 18, 2005, 05:55 AM »
Gotta love my 2B Clint Barmes who was silently the best second basemen in fantasy falling down the stairs with a bag of deer meat and breaking his clavicle, then my backup Bret Boone getting benched for sucking so bad.  That little steroid monkey hasn't done crap since he stopped juicing.

Gotta love my 2nd pick of the draft Todd Helton doing absolutely not a ******* thing all season long.  This guy has been like sunrise and sunset for 10 seasons, and now he forgot how to hit.  Those naughty career .335 hitters.

Gotta love 4 of my 6 starting pitchers being out or compromised.  Kerry Wood, my first pitcher taken, hasn't pitched since April.

Gotta love Scott Rolen being the most fragile 6' 4" 240 lb horse I've ever seen in this game. 

Scott's team is just on a temporary high, he doesn't have the talent to maintain this.  Of all you suckas I'm most afraid of Zod right now after Manny Ramirez, Jim Thome, Mark Prior and Tim Hudson start contributing on a regular basis.

Okay, off to begin fixing this issue...

« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 05:59 AM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 18, 2005, 12:04 PM »

Of all you suckas I'm most afraid of Zod right now after Manny Ramirez, Jim Thome, Mark Prior and Tim Hudson start contributing on a regular basis.

What? No love for my team, who has been in 1st or 2nd place pretty much 99% of the time so far? I'm deeply saddened.  :'(................. :P

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 18, 2005, 02:42 PM »
Gotta love my 2B Clint Barmes who was silently the best second basemen in fantasy

Sorry, but I've got the best second baseman in Fantasy baseball.    :)

« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 02:55 PM by Kneel Before Zod »

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: June 18, 2005, 02:43 PM »
I'm not afraid of Zod's team.  I'm more concerned that my team seems to be solid, yet is underachieving pointwise and it's obvious that the pitchers aren't pulling their weight.  Quick question commish: Why is it relievers seem to be outscoring the starters BIG TIME in points?  Seems that the system is weighted pretty heavily against the SPs.  Seems like you'd be better off carrying a team of relievers.  

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 18, 2005, 02:53 PM »
Yep - no coincidence that Dressel knew from experience to load up on Relief pitchers that he could plug into starting pitcher spots.   That's where two of the top 3 teams are getting a lot of their extra points.  When we were drafting I never even considered something like plugging a relief pitcher into a starting pitcher slot and once I figured out that that was what was going on, all the (SP, RP)'s were taken.

As for being afraid of my team, they're still quite inconsistent, but I've got a lot of big bats that need to come alive and come alive soon.  ManRam has been heating up a little bit as of late and Thome might look like he's getting his swing back - those would be big helps.  At the moment I'll have 2 great nights followed by a crappy crappy day so... I've also got Milton Bradly, Nomar Garciaparra, and Mark Prior all injured... so we'll see.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 02:56 PM by Kneel Before Zod »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #518 on: June 18, 2005, 02:56 PM »
What's wrong with my team?

ARod, Ortiz and Konerko have been rock solid...Michael Young and Chone Figgins have been really hot as of late...I hate my outfield but this is all without Barry Bonds mind you so hopefully he still has enough Balco juice left when he come back in a few weeks and I can keep the momentum going

What has really been happening this last two weeks though is that my staff has been on fire...Mussina, Oswalt and Buehrle have all thrown shut outs.  I think I had the most L's for a long time and that has really turned around over the last month

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 18, 2005, 03:56 PM »
Wait a sec, you can put rp into sp positions?  Great, that would mean that you wouldn't be losing points from your sp, only gaining?  Gee, wouldn't that make a huge ******* difference.  I lost probably 40+ points due to sp losses this week.  Not much of a difference there.

Ah well, by the end of the year I'll know how to cheat as well.  It's all good.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #520 on: June 18, 2005, 04:30 PM »
Wait a sec, you can put rp into sp positions?  Great, that would mean that you wouldn't be losing points from your sp, only gaining?  Gee, wouldn't that make a huge ******* difference.  I lost probably 40+ points due to sp losses this week.  Not much of a difference there.

Some pitchers have SP/RP for their position, most of them were starters last year and then switched to closers this year

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: June 18, 2005, 06:27 PM »
Gotta love my 2B Clint Barmes who was silently the best second basemen in fantasy

Nope, not prior to Barmes' injury.  Now you do, but not then.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 18, 2005, 06:29 PM »

Very few pitchers that are starters are converted to closers.  It's rare, there aren't more than 5 in the game right now.  Gotta watch your box scores daily.

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 18, 2005, 06:47 PM »
I just don't get why RPs are scoring so much more than SPs.  Check the pitchers on the waiver wire and click on fantasy points and on the 1st page there will be ONE SP.  Me thinks the pitcher scoring is a little out of wack.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 18, 2005, 07:11 PM »

Nope, not prior to Barmes' injury.  Now you do, but not then.

As of June 5th in point scoring categories

Barmes:
Singles - 49
Doubles - 16
Triples - 1
HRs - 8
RBI - 34
Runs - 40
SB - 4

Soriano:
Singles - 65
Doubles - 16
Triples - 0
HRs - 15
RBI - 36
Runs - 44
SB - 8

Barmes went on the DL the next day.  Soriano was better at that point than Barmes in every category except for doubles (tied) and triples (Barmes by 1)

Just for kick's, here's Brian Robert's numbers as of June 7th (he hadn't played since May 31st at that point so I can't find date specific numbers for the 5th or 6th):

Roberts:
Singles - 75
Doubles - 14
Triples - 5
HRs - 11
RBI - 33
Runs - 39
SB - 13

Roberts was better at that point than Barmes in every category except for doubles (Barmes by 2) and RBI (Barmes by 1)

So I'd say that prior to Barme's injury I actually had 2 guys who were better fantasy baseball second basemen.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 07:48 PM by Kneel Before Zod »