Author Topic: JD Fantasy Baseball 2005  (Read 88429 times)

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Baseball 2005
« Reply #525 on: June 18, 2005, 08:51 PM »
I just don't get why RPs are scoring so much more than SPs.  Check the pitchers on the waiver wire and click on fantasy points and on the 1st page there will be ONE SP.  Me thinks the pitcher scoring is a little out of wack.

I think the reason is partly due to wins only being worth 2 more points than a save (leaders in saves are up around 20+, leaders in wins are only at what, 11 or 12?) and also losses counting as a big -5 in scoring. Starters get killed by that number where relievers rarely will have more than maybe a couple losses in a year. I think that is why they are outscoring most starters.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: June 18, 2005, 09:11 PM »
I just don't get why RPs are scoring so much more than SPs.  Check the pitchers on the waiver wire and click on fantasy points and on the 1st page there will be ONE SP.  Me thinks the pitcher scoring is a little out of wack.

Yeah, it was even worse last year.  Scott and I are the only 2 returning teams from last year...ironically we were the only 2 in the championship race.  At any rate, the big difference was that last year a Win was worth 5, and for this year we discussed it and made it worth 7, while keeping losses at -5.  I posted this discussion and it's reasoning in the signup thread in March, and Scott was the only one who participated.  So that's what we wound up with.  Me thinks the scoring was clearly posted before the draft.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 18, 2005, 09:22 PM »
Zod - I know Brian Roberts, Alfonso Soriano, and perhaps even Jeff Kent had scored maybe 20 fantasy points more than Clint Barmes at the time he got hurt, but Barmes was a phenom at his positon plus he was SS eligible which gives him an edge in my mind.  Talent is scarcest at shortstop and catcher, and having a 2B like Barmes that also plays SS was invaluable.  I think Barmes would have scored at least 215 at this point.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #528 on: June 18, 2005, 09:26 PM »
If you look at the pitching leaders there is a fairly good mix of relievers and starters in there.  Dressel is right is was even worse last year.  Another thing to note is that several top pitchers have been bad or hurt this year including Schilling, Wood, Prior, Hudson, Sheets, Schmidt etc

There is still a discrepency though in Pitching vs Hitting...not sure how to solve that one

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: June 18, 2005, 10:56 PM »
Very few pitchers that are starters are converted to closers.  It's rare, there aren't more than 5 in the game right now.  Gotta watch your box scores daily.

I'm trying but baseball is not something I grew up watching or playing, so this year is a huge learning year for me on fantasy baseball.  I think I'm hanging in there all right considering my pitchers have been like a lot of other folks: slumping, hurting, sucking (I still expect Johnson to pay off, but he's not been overly first round quality thus far). 

3B has been a stretch too, I've had 4-5 on my roster and haven't played the guy I chose to start >:(
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: June 18, 2005, 11:25 PM »
Anyone else's stat-tracker stuck at about 3 and a half hours ago?

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: June 19, 2005, 11:34 AM »
Anyone else's stat-tracker stuck at about 3 and a half hours ago?

Yes, it was.  ESPN was working fine though.  I've noticed in the past, for whatever the reason is, when Yahoo stops reporting stats, ESPN is usually stalled at exactly the same point, for the same amount of time.  Last night that was not the case though.  It happens very infrequently.

At any rate, all is functional once again.  And this is a hell of a race we have going here, pretty amazing how close the top 6 teams are, plus Famine is hanging in there!

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 19, 2005, 01:01 PM »
**** - looks like it's out again.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 19, 2005, 01:14 PM »
Damn you Dressel - I'd have loved to pick up Inge, but you beat me to the punch.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 19, 2005, 01:40 PM »
Damn you Dressel - I'd have loved to pick up Inge, but you beat me to the punch.

You beat me to the punch about 15 times in the football league.

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 19, 2005, 07:15 PM »
I don't think there will ever be a perfect scoring method.  I think Sandbox.com's old free fantasy baseball had the easiest format and best scoring system, but sadly it's gone now. 

The league I formed with my close buddies is a head to head league, but strictly positive categories.  I didn't make any negative categories.  14 categories (7 hitting, 7 pitching) with no points, just stat accumulation for the week.  So far everyone is liking it. 

The tricky thing with fantasy point scoring is that the pitchers always get hit harder because what category could you really have for a hitter that could take -5 away for one thing (i.e. a loss)? 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 19, 2005, 10:33 PM »
I like it the way it is - you need to choose what pitchers you're going to start very carefully and you've got to check your matchups before leaving a guy in.

Adds a degree of skill (and a degree of luck) to the whole thing.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 19, 2005, 11:16 PM »

Adds a degree of skill (and a degree of luck) to the whole thing.

Well I'm pretty much ****** there :P
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 21, 2005, 11:13 PM »
Check out Famine with the 96 point effort tonight!!!  The highest total in JD Fantasy Baseball history!

The previous high I believe was roughly 75?  Matt Carroll's Springfield Isotopes?

Famine on the comeback trail...

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 21, 2005, 11:16 PM »
I try. The Yankees 20 to 11 victory tonight certainly helped.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...