Author Topic: Lone Gunman Storms Mall-Opens Fire  (Read 1975 times)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Lone Gunman Storms Mall-Opens Fire
« on: February 14, 2005, 06:12 AM »
Gunman opens fire at mall in upstate New York; one person wounded
KINGSTON, N.Y. (AP) — A lone gunman opened fire with an assault rifle Sunday inside a crowded mall in upstate New York, wounding one person before running out of ammunition and being subdued by employees, authorities said.
The gunman began shooting inside the Hudson Valley Mall shortly after 3 p.m. in Kingston, nearly 90 miles north of New York City.

The 24-year-old gunman went into a Best Buy store and started firing. When he ran out of ammunition, he was captured by mall employees, police said.

Police did not identify the suspect or the type of gun he used. State police Capt. Wayne Olson said investigators did not know the exact number of shots fired.

An Army recruiter was shot in the leg but was not the target of the attack, said Lt. Col. Paul Fanning, a National Guard spokesman. The recruiter was evacuated by helicopter to an Albany hospital, where he was listed in critical condition.

Another person was injured in the hand, but police said the injury was not a gunshot wound.

The mall was evacuated after the shooting, but an unknown number of workers remained inside after police surrounded the building.

"Everyone was running and screaming. Then I heard the shots," witness Heather Craig told Fox News. "People were running over people. Other people were just standing there dumbfounded."

All mall entrances remained blocked off by police Sunday evening.

-From USA Today and The Associated Press

What an idiot. It's people like that who give owners of certain fire arms a bad name. What gets me is why some employees were allowed to remain in the building. You'd have thought they would have been evacuated with the rest of the people.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: Lone Gunman Storms Mall-Opens Fire
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 01:14 PM »
You watch, the NRA will have a rally in Kngston, N.Y. within a few months.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 03:31 PM »
I'll be there. Acts of a few dont represent the many. I keep my rifles in a locking closet, unloaded. The ammunition is stored in the basement, in a locked drawer. Some people are just off.

Kevin

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 08:15 PM »
This isn't a gun issue, this is a psychopath issue.  Turns out he would have done way more damage with a knife.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 09:00 PM »
Yep - a total psychopath.   >:(

:P

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 10:42 PM »
Hey, can we turn this into the "Walmart toy aisle is too close to the gun section" thread? ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 12:59 AM »
Considering this happened very close to where a lot of my family lives, this story made me sick.  What the hell did this guy need with an assault rifle?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2005, 02:03 AM »
This isn't a gun issue, this is a psychopath issue.  Turns out he would have done way more damage with a knife.

Again, ASSAULT RIFLE.

How is it NOT a gun issue? I thought assault rifles were only for killing liberating citizens of beleaugered countries.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2005, 05:22 AM »
What the hell did this guy need with an assault rifle?

What does ANYONE need with an assault rifle?
I remember my dream now.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2005, 06:33 AM »
Remember, we don't do the War, Politics, Religion and the like...  This keeps leaning towards a debate on the gun control issue and I'll lock the thread.

Try to keep it about just the news on the story...  Not that there is much.

Last I heard the only thing new was the recruiter shot was maybe going to need his leg removed which is a shame.  The whole thing is odd from start to finish though and makes no sense.  I'm amazed he didn't kill someone, and something makes me think perhaps he didn't want to...  The mind of the mentally ill is perplexing to say the least, but I can't imagine emptying a clip somewhere (I'm assuming) relatively busy and not actually taking a life.  Just seems odd.

Well, at least nobody got killed, and hopefully it won't spark mimics...

Anyway, keep it on topic and civil guys, thanks.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2005, 08:39 AM »
Here's some more news:

This guy, had a shrine to the shooters of Columbine in his bedroom.

He never had a girlfriend, or a job, according to some people he knew. Maybe he just snapped. He needs a good lock up.

Kevin

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2005, 08:47 AM »
The story is tragic no matter what side of the issue anyone takes, but I actually saw 2 positive things here.

1.  For the first time in a while the shooter didn't get the chance to kill himself, leaving the opportunity to find out what motivates people to do this kind of stuff and to prosecute him to the fullest (insanity plea notwithstanding).

2.  Ordinary citizens tackled and subdued him while he was re-loading or out of ammo.  Is it just me or does it seem that people are less inclined to sit back in situations like this these days.  It may be a post 9/11 mentality or it may have been heading this way all along even before that.

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2005, 11:14 AM »
I'm glad no one was killed and feel bad for the two who where shot.  Like someone else said it almost sounds like the guy just wanted to injury people since it sounds like those shot were in the lower body..  Two people hadn't been shot but had bullet holes through their pants legs.