Author Topic: Mikey D's collection  (Read 12047 times)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Mikey D's collection
« on: February 15, 2005, 09:06 AM »

Awesome isn't it?  ;)

The was more of a test post to get the hang of hosting pics online.  Now that I know I can do it, updates will be coming shortly. 
Common sense isn't so common

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Mikey D's collection
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 09:39 AM »
Very nice collection of cardboard boxes and tupperware tubs.  Looks kinda like most of my stuff right now.  ;D

Looking forward to your updates Mikey.  :)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 12:30 PM »
Oh, most definitely looking forward to more pics!  So is that room in the picture the one where they are going to be displayed, or are they going to be distributed around the house?  How big is the room (if using only one)?  Any hints as to how you will organize it?  Am I asking too many questions?   :-X

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 01:24 PM »
The room this stuff is in now is going to be our spare bedroom.  All this stuff was down stairs in the basement before we remodeled it.  Now that the basement is finished, it's all going back down stairs. 

I haven't really thought of how to display it.  I just know that pretty much every available wall is going to be filled.  Right now, I'm in the process of putting back together all my Legos.  The smaller ones are finished, but the bigger ones (the ones you can see in the first pic on the left) take a long time to put together.

Right now, the only things up in the basement are my Kubricks (I'm waiting until I get C-3PO and the AT-AT Driver before I take pics.  They should be here tomorrow) and my Boston Sports Illustrateds behind the bar.

I know my mother-in-law took before pics of the basement, so I'll have to get her to email those to me so everyone can get an idea of how much was done.

Expect lots of updates in the next few weeks.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 03:34 PM »
Those tubs are kinda small Mikey, everything loose? 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 03:40 PM »
Those tubs are just action figures, all individually placed in seperate baggies.  My carded figures from when I was buying two of everything are in the big monitor box in the second pic.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 09:50 PM »
Cool.  I don't use any cardboard really.  Everything is stored in the basement and you just never know when flooding could occur.  Call me paranoid, but I love tupperware :P

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 01:14 AM »
Hmm.  I actually stayed away from the tubs for my carded figures and prefer the cardboard (file boxes are great) because the perfectly square corners of the boxes will keep my cards in the best shape.  The curved corners tend to cause the cards to bow out and potentially crease, at least for me.

However, I do understand the fear of flooding.  Fortunately, my remaining boxes are up on blocks to hopefully keep any water away.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2005, 01:27 AM »
Awesome isn't it?  ;)

Indeed!  Same general concept as my collection currently...   ;)

I'm actually using my Imperial Shuttle (boxed) as an end table right now though...   8)

Looking forward to the real thing some time soon Mikey.  Good luck with the re-organization!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2005, 10:08 AM »
Hmm.  I actually stayed away from the tubs for my carded figures and prefer the cardboard (file boxes are great) because the perfectly square corners of the boxes will keep my cards in the best shape.  The curved corners tend to cause the cards to bow out and potentially crease, at least for me.

However, I do understand the fear of flooding.  Fortunately, my remaining boxes are up on blocks to hopefully keep any water away.

Yup, I agree.  Tupperware is not really all that friendly for carded stuff - lots of bowing and edge dings (corners).  That was part of the motivation for going loose, lots of the cards were in less than great shape. 

I should clarify though, my stuff is in the basement, but more specifically the crawl space.  And it is literally a crawl space, I can't get at anything without being on hands and knees with a flashlight, so no way could I get anything out of there in a hurry. 

As for what I really want to keep carded, well that stuff is all in star cases in the tupperware tubs.  Talk about increasing the need for storage space :o  Tupperware and star cases are not a happy coexistence in terms of efficiency. 

The stuff I have carded but not in cases is orange cards.  They're nostalgic for me but not really worth protecting.  I do plan on opening them for their own little He-Man, Masters of Star Wars display but haven't done so yet. 

Let's shake a leg here Mikey, I wanna see your stuff 8)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2005, 11:53 AM »
The stuff I have carded but not in cases is orange cards.  They're nostalgic for me but not really worth protecting.  I do plan on opening them for their own little He-Man, Masters of Star Wars display but haven't done so yet. 

Exactly!  I just finished a deal with i4imperial to get a bunch of those orange carded figures (already loose) so that I can display them.  I just get such a kick out of those steroid-freaked-out figures!

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 1, 2005, 09:51 AM »
How about an update?

Before pic of finished basement

And after.  Gives you an idea of the general finish of the basement

The new TV

DVDs and CDs

My collection of booze

My wife's Hard Rock Cafe Hurricane glass collection

Boston Sports Illustrateds behind the bar

Stuffed Taz that I cheated to get won at Six Flags Great Adventure years ago

Kubrick

Marvel Legends

Spidey and friends

Avengers

X-men

I'll update again once more is completed.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 1, 2005, 10:11 AM »
Thanks for posting the pics Mikey, it really looks great.  Looking forward to seeing anymore you have.  I'm sure it is nice to have that basement all finished as well.  I'm trying to figure out how I want to revamp my display, because I honestly don't have room for much more, especially not all the ROTS stuff coming up (and additional Marvel figures).  We also need to do something about our DVD collection...right now they are all shoved in drawers on our entertainment center/coffee and end tables, and I'd like to have them on some sort of shelf where you can see the title binding and pick out what you want to watch.  Might have to go the bookshelf route, because all of the (affordable) racks/stands you can find at places like Target don't seem to have enough room for what we have.  We don't have the largest DVD collection in the world, but I think we're sitting at around 70 now, with a few season box sets, so there usually isn't enough room for everything.

Anyways, enough about that, but your set up looks very nice.  Heck of a TV you've got there too, very spiffy.  Looking forward to seeing pics of your Star Wars collection now too :).

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 1, 2005, 01:40 PM »
Nice stuff.  Interesting to see someone else with Waldorf and Statler sitting on the tube, just like at our place.  I picked them up (thanks Scott) for my wife and she never took them to her office. 

You've got some serious booze there I see.  Should upgrade from Dewar's though, IMHO.  Got a contract with Bacardi?  You'd also benefit by upgrading to Crown Royal over that hideous V.O. stuff.  And a Black Label stubbie :D  Oh how I miss the stubbie bottles. 

Nice ML collection, I like that Cyc, but I'll wait out the new one.  Also like your basement doors, were they reclaimed or part of the house originally?

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 1, 2005, 01:49 PM »
Nice stuff. Interesting to see someone else with Waldorf and Statler sitting on the tube, just like at our place. I picked them up (thanks Scott) for my wife and she never took them to her office.

Bought them for the wife also.  I figured the TV was as good as a spot as any.

You've got some serious booze there I see. Should upgrade from Dewar's though, IMHO. Got a contract with Bacardi? You'd also benefit by upgrading to Crown Royal over that hideous V.O. stuff. And a Black Label stubbie :D Oh how I miss the stubbie bottles.

Honestly, I'm not that much of a hard liquor drinker.  A lot of this stuff was left over from our wedding.  Because of the historical site and laws, it was either open bar all night or no booze at all.  Well the latter wasn't happening.  We purchased all the booze through the bartender.  Anything that was opened and not finished, we got to take home with us.  One of my friends drinks Bacardi.  Anytime he's over, he always leaves the rest of his bottle. 

As for the Black Label bottle, we actually found that in a stud wall when we refinished our kitchen.  Too cool to just throw away.

Nice ML collection, I like that Cyc, but I'll wait out the new one. Also like your basement doors, were they reclaimed or part of the house originally?

The only thing in the basement that we kept.  They're actually nicer than the doors that were originally upstairs when we bought the house (long since gone and replaced)