Author Topic: Toy Fair exclusive Press Kit with figures  (Read 18567 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Toy Fair exclusive Press Kit with figures
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2005, 09:33 AM »
Wow...

That is a cool looking Press Kit, makes me a little upset, but if the figures are exactly the same I guess I can pass.  The Toy Fair Vader was such a striking figure with nifty packaging (like a basic figure) that I felt I "needed" one.

Since this thing really isn't on a "basic figure" type card, I guess I can hapily pass and not need one.  Of course, if they do offer them from SWS.com or another source, you can bet your bippy I'll buy one.   :-[

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2005, 09:38 AM »
The problem with these Toy Fair and Celebration figs is that they really are not a part of the lineup for the general public.  I would not think these things would really count if you are a completist.  But that's me.  

It's not like many people even know stuff like Toy Fair even exists.  At least the figures on this set are going to be available on April 2nd.  

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2005, 01:49 PM »
Looks like Mr. I want $2000. ended one of his auctions.

The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale.

Toy Fair Star Wars Darth Vader Press Kit

SilverZ

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2005, 09:14 PM »
The problem with these Toy Fair and Celebration figs is that they really are not a part of the lineup for the general public.  I would not think these things would really count if you are a completist.  But that's me.  

It's not like many people even know stuff like Toy Fair even exists.  At least the figures on this set are going to be available on April 2nd.  

I think us carded collectors all have different definitions of "complete". I've become more interested in offshoot items like this and consider it a part of the line by my personal definition - basically if Hasbro made it, distributed it, and people outside of their offices received them, it's a legitimate item of interest.

I'm definitely interested in it because of the packaging. The figures aren't even a concern. I'm bothered by its instant status as a holy grail item. It's not something I really wanted to deal with during the onslaught of new product this year, and will be a thorn in my side and a hole in the collection for some time, I'm sure.

I'd like to see them offer the same package design, minus the press kit moniker, for a fan release. That way the TF originals hold their value and significance for the folks that received them, and it would do enough to placate completists like me. If they could offer something in the spirit of this, I'd be cool with it.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2005, 09:29 PM »
I'd like to see them offer the same package design, minus the press kit moniker, for a fan release. That way the TF originals hold their value and significance for the folks that received them, and it would do enough to placate completists like me. If they could offer something in the spirit of this, I'd be cool with it.

Ditto.

Yeah, "complete" is all in the eye of the beholder.  Obviously this would probably not even fall under the "needs" list of most carded completists.  But if you get into the "packaging completists", including the real sickos like Jared and I, then yeah, it'd unfortunately be a part of the greater whole to us.  It's rather like some other exclusives like the Mexican Convention Encuentras 2-pack, and things like that.  Not a part of the "regular line intended for retail consumers", but there is a figure in a unique type of packaging there, so it warrants hitting our radar.

It's pretty much exactly like that Gold/Silver Sandtrooper bust that GG put out a couple months ago.  That piece was quite devisive over in the 'Scum forums, as half the folks said it wasn't a part of the regular line, and the other half said they didn't care and they needed the item to stay "complete" with their Bust collection.

Tricky little subject "complete" can be.  One I'm forced to deal with quite often (in my own noggin), unfortunately... 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2005, 09:36 PM by JediMAC »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2005, 09:09 AM »
Well that one auction with no reserve has broken the $1000. mark sitting at $1,025.17 with 5 days to go. A couple more have shown up on the auction block.

Toy Fair 2005 Hasbro Star Wars Vader / Anakin 2-PK

Toy Fair 2005 Star Wars Hasbro Promo FIRST ONE ISSUED

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2005, 10:11 AM »
Man, that's tempting. For me to sell mine, I mean, not to buy one. But I don't think I could actually part with it, even for $1000. It's just too cool.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2005, 10:21 AM »
Do not fall to the Dark Side Dave, Matt will have your balls!  :P

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2005, 11:42 AM »
Wow, I think I would sell it.  A thousand dollars for something you got for free?  That's tempting. 

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2005, 11:50 AM »
It is a cool piece. I am willing to fork over $500 bucks for it. I can't justify $500, but I really can't justify $1000 for a little bit of cardboard, 2 figures, and some writting.

Besides when they released the Vader 3 years ago the Fanclub sold them. I am hoping for the same this time. If not no big deal.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2005, 11:51 AM »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2005, 11:53 AM »
SOLD!

Hasbro Promo

Holy ****.  Not surprising really, seeing as where that other one is at now ($1,025).

Do not fall to the Dark Side Dave, Matt will have your balls!  :P

Ha.  Matt has already tried to tempt Dave with an offer from the Dark Side.  Granted it was about a 20% offer, but from the Dark Side nonetheless...   :P

Man, that's tempting. For me to sell mine, I mean, not to buy one. But I don't think I could actually part with it, even for $1000. It's just too cool.

Yeah, I was kinda wondering what your breaking point might be on that thing Dave.  Man, that's tough.  Hell, as bad as I want to get my hands on one of those things, if someone offered me a grand for something I got for free...  Ugh.  Tough decision.

I think I'd likely still hang onto it though.  As long as Patty didn't find out, in which case that thing would be sold fast as lightning.  We were going through my old baseball card collection from the 50's and 60's this weekend, and when I told her what that stuff was worth, she immediately demanded we sell it, since I haven't really been into that hobby for the past decade.  I told her NO WAY.  No amount of money (well, no amount of money less than 6 figures anyway  ;)) was going to get me to part with that stuff.

Chicks just don't understand the collecting bug, I tell ya'.   >:(
« Last Edit: February 22, 2005, 11:59 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2005, 11:56 AM »
$1,000?!?

There is a LOT of other stuff I'd spend one grand on before I spend it on this press kit.  No way I could ever justify spending that much for something like this, unless I wonder the lottery or something.

This is no longer getting ridiculous, it is officially ridiculous...  ::)

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2005, 11:58 AM »
...unless I wonder the lottery or something.

I often wonder about winning the lottery myself...   :P

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2005, 12:01 PM »
I just checked completed auctions and there was another one that went for $1000.

Toy Fair Star Wars Hasbro Exclusive