Author Topic: Celebration 3 Figure: Talking Darth Vader  (Read 28651 times)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: Celebration 3 Figure: Talking Darth Vader
« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2005, 07:57 PM »
The problem with a plan like that is (a) there probably isn't going to be another Star Wars celebration and (b) it just makes too much damn sense.

How's this for another plan: If you KNOW you're going to sell more AFTER the show, announce it so you chop the vendors off a the knees. You make them question just exactly HOW MANY were made and they think twice before hoarding them for after-event price gouging.

Just think if all of the Vaders that went into the hands of vendors instead were left over and were selling now on shop.starwars.com? Jerks like Brian's Toys wouldn't be even daring to ask $80 for one of these!

I feel that the dealers inflated the demand of the Jorg Sacul too - at this point, he's down around $40 and many times the auction closes w/o any bidder. In another two or three years, I bet that figure will be available for about what you could get it for at Celebration 2 - the reason is that many of them fell into the hands of vendors, not actually the people who truly wanted them. Sure there was everyone at the event who got them and then the die-hards who couldn't attend who fed into the eBay frenzy, but after that, all that's left are those who pass due to the price tag and those who just aren't interested in GL's head on an X-Wing pilot body.

The same is and WILL be true of the Vader.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 30, 2005, 11:04 PM »
Someone seriously needs to kick Brian's Toys in the balls: C3 Vader for $79.99.   >:(

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #122 on: April 30, 2005, 11:28 PM »
:o  :-X  >:(

Can't say I'm surprised. ::)
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 1, 2005, 11:05 PM »
Is one of the giveaways "A Chance to Play Air Hockey with Matt?"  If it is I'll pass.   :P

That'd be a very wise decision Jay, since I kicked all their asses at it.  To be honest, Brent squeezed out a 7-6 decision against me once, but I smacked him around twice after that, and added Dave and Jesse2 to the ass kicking list as well.  Don't mess with my kung fu on the air hockey table, or you'll be sorry...  :P

Nice try sport, it was like this:

Game 1:  JediMac 7 Morgbug 6
Game 2: Morgbug 7 JediMac 3
Game 3: JediMac 7 Morgbug 3

You only won game 3 because you had one of your fellow staffers would my "stick" hand in a game between ours.  You probably had Dave drug my beer too, because not so coincidentally he bought the beer I had between games 2 & 3. >:(
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #124 on: May 2, 2005, 09:11 PM »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 3, 2005, 09:54 AM »
Just look at this crap! ::)

::) OOH, it's got an AFA grade of 90 - my heart's a flutter!  ::)
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 3, 2005, 01:51 PM »
This is a pretty cool figure even though it's a rehash (is that true)?  I can't put my finger on where this version of Vader came from...

Anywho, my 2 year old loves this darn figure!  He goes crazy everytime I remove it from the star case and he starts pushing the voice button, he especially loves the breathing sounds, it's funny when he does it!  - I must admit the sound quality is very good.

It's difficult to convey to him that he can only push the button - we always sit down together after a toy run and open up the figures - but not exclusives.

I'm getting off on a tangent, but last night I dug out the old POTF2 AT-AT and 12" TaunTaun and he went bezerk playing with them.  Can you believe the original batteries still work??

Wish I were still 2 years old - the AT-AT must look pretty cool when you're only 3 feet tall!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 3, 2005, 09:55 PM »
This is a pretty cool figure even though it's a rehash (is that true)?  I can't put my finger on where this version of Vader came from...

I'm pretty sure it's a rehash of the 25th Anniversary 2-pack Darth Vader.  Despite the 2005 stamp on the bottom of the foot, I'm pretty sure I'm correct on this.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 3, 2005, 11:41 PM »
That was the consensus we reached in the JD nerve center during C3.  Jared unceremoniously ripped one open, very nearly killing five people by stroke, heart attack or a combination thereof.  Apparently the looks on our faces were rather priceless :o

But it sure as heck looked just like that 25th anniversary two pack Vader.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

SilverZ

« Reply #129 on: May 4, 2005, 02:54 AM »
Jared unceremoniously ripped one open,

As opposed to Colman, who often unceremoniously let one rip.  ;)

The figure is def the 25th Anniversary Vader, but someone less lazy than I should see if the headsculpt is from somewhere else. It looks like they popped a newer sculpt head on there.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2005, 02:56 AM by Tydirium »

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #130 on: May 5, 2005, 07:56 AM »
Just look at this crap! ::)

::) OOH, it's got an AFA grade of 90 - my heart's a flutter!  ::)

I feel the same exact way.  ::) i hate the whole grading deal.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 5, 2005, 09:22 AM »
Someone seriously needs to kick Brian's Toys in the balls: C3 Vader for $79.99.   >:(

I'm not defending Brian's Toys - not by a long shot - but you can also blame all those people who were at C3, and had no intention of buying these Vaders... until they saw the signs that read "We are buying Vader for $35" on every other vendor table. Not for nothing, but if I was just a casual fan, and not a collector, I would have gladly went into the store, spent my $60 on Vader figures, and then turned around 5 minutes later and sold them for $120. Not a doubt in my mind. And I'm sure there were many people who did just that.

I had heard that GenCon was not allowing vendors to sell the Vaders at the show (even though I saw a few who were) but they also should have not let people put up signs saying they were buying them either. That just created more of a mess of people waiting to get into the store.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 5, 2005, 12:14 PM »
I had heard that GenCon was not allowing vendors to sell the Vaders at the show (even though I saw a few who were) but they also should have not let people put up signs saying they were buying them either. That just created more of a mess of people waiting to get into the store.

They did the same thing at Celebration 2.  While they allowed vendors to buy Jorg Sacul figures, they didn't permit them to resell them at the show.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 5, 2005, 12:22 PM »
Well GenCon definitely didn't watch as close this time.   Those $60 to $80 prices were disgusting.  >:(

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 8, 2005, 01:12 AM »
Just saw this auction posted at RS:

CIII C3 Talking DARTH VADER VARIATION!!

Thoughts?