Author Topic: INTERACTIVE Photonovel - Not an update, but worth a look!  (Read 105261 times)

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: INTERACTIVE Photonovel - WE'RE BACK - 10/7!!!
« Reply #135 on: October 21, 2005, 08:54 AM »
Whoo hooo!  Update time!

Alas, despite my promises, this update isn't really the big step forward I had been hoping.

Instead, most of the update concerns a "meanwhile" scene where you're not present.

I originally planned to show the story exclusively from your perspective, but this scene doesn't really give anything away that you shouldn't already know anyway.

Besides, I think fleshing out some of the other characters might make the game more fun and make it feel more cinematic.

However, as for your current predicament, the course of action we're taking is one suggested initially by Findswoman, which was supported by Darth Delicious, The Spectre,
CorranHorn and NoMercyJoe.

Chewie's suggestion of giving him money was in the same vein and Ryan was up for giving him either. 

Oh, and thanks to smartypants for participating, too.  He also agreed with the majority.

Only Diddly was really left out in the cold, overrode by the rest of the group.

And newcomer Jedistyle made the unique suggestion of checking out the Imperial comlink first. 

As always, I try to incorporate as many non-contradictory suggestions as possible.

Okay, confession time.  I put the drunk guy in there really for one main reason - to demonstrate the usefuless of your inventory. 

You're currently carrying around quite a lot of stuff.  Unlike those old "King's Quest" games, none of those items was designed around a specific use. 

So don't be afraid to use that stuff and be creative.  In this case, either using money or the booze to bribe the drunk would have worked, as would have using your toolkit to jigger the elevator yourself.

However, having the drunk on your side may yield more benefits down the line, so giving him the alcohol seems like a good idea.

So thanks to all the players.  Great to have so many returning players and a few newcomers, too!

Now, there really isn't much of a pressing need for input here, since, in the next installment, the drunk will finish fixing the elevator and you'll be on your way.  So jump in if you like, otherwise, I'll just get the next chapter up as soon as possible.

here we go!

WHAT NOW?

Inventory:

dirty poncho (worn)

Imperial comlink (on?  broken?)

personal comlink
space helmet
Credit Stick
toolkit
hold-out blaster (worn on belt)
backpack containing -
change of clothes
control pad for ship
data pad with technical schematics
73 credits
stormtrooper belt (worn) containing:
grappling hook & cord
2 spare ammo clips
binders
ration bar
mini tool kit

« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 01:39 PM by Quazar »
Sith Lords Are Our Speciality

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: INTERACTIVE Photonovel - UPDATE 10/21!!!
« Reply #136 on: October 21, 2005, 09:57 AM »
There's a broken link halfway through. :'(
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 09:58 AM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #137 on: October 21, 2005, 10:06 AM »
With the exception of the missing frame, that was a great update. :) The story is really getting complicated now. I saw we continue to the redevous (since we'd have no idea that was going on) but now that the station is on lock down I would be extra careful. And I'd keep trying the Imperial comm, maybe it is some sort of code, maybe there is something on the data pad we could use to try and decrypt it?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 10:06 AM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline findswoman

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Findswoman Collection
« Reply #138 on: October 21, 2005, 11:00 AM »
Great update, Lance!  Looking forward to seeing that missing picture (it's right after the fifth scene in Wolfell's office). Here's a partial repeat of my FFURG post:

As for what to do next, there really isn't much TO do.  I suppose at this point, following up on Ryan's suggestion, you could use your own toolkit to tinker with the commlink while the guy finishes fiddling with the elevator controls.  And maybe, if & when you make it to 78, offer him a few extra credits, in thanks -- allow him to get even more booze, perhaps.  (Are there any seedy liquor stores down on 78?) 

And while it's cool that we have a new "friend," I'm not without a bit of concern.  Here's why.  Back when we talked with "Blondie" in the bar, she most definitely said "Be sure to come alone."  So we're going to have to tactfully ditch this fellow somehow, at least temporarily, once we near our rendezvous point.  The trick will be getting him out of the way temporarily while remaining on friendly terms with him, just in case we need his help for something else at some point.  Will just the drink (plus maybe a few credits) be able to do that? We've given the guy an inch; what if he wants a mile?  Or will he be deep in alcohol-induced dreamland by then anyway?  Something to think on.

Can't wait for more!  :)

... the Findswoman

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 21, 2005, 11:27 AM »
Broken picture fixed!

Sorry about that, folks.

Findswoman, could you elaborate a bit when you say "tinker" with the comlink....  Tinker with the goal of doing what, exactly?

Thanks for the replies so far, guys!

Offline findswoman

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 21, 2005, 11:44 AM »
Findswoman, could you elaborate a bit when you say "tinker" with the comlink....  Tinker with the goal of doing what, exactly?

Tinker with the goal of maybe (hopefully) getting some sort of reception or signal on which to listen in.  If it's broken, as you suggest, then perhaps we could fix it with one or more of our tool kits -- especially since we've got two of them now, for Pete's sake!  (Yes, pun intended.  ;) )  Just another way to put our plentiful inventory to good use.

... the Findswoman

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 21, 2005, 04:16 PM »
nice update! i like the whole meanwhile scenario, it really adds to the story knowing that there is other darker events taking place that the main charecter has no idea about yet, and that scene imparticular gives the imperials a much bigger and more dangerous precence in the story.

i know i was the one that wanted toturn the imperial comm link on, but i would be careful with it since it isn't functioning properly. being they know it came from the murdered troopers belt, they may have put some kind of ban/lock on it making it useless or be trying to home in on any transmission the holder may make, or they may even be able to trace it when it's just on! if there is no traffic on the net as soon as you turn it on, i'd keep it off.........

again great update, i can't wait for the next!!! ;D
=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 21, 2005, 04:35 PM »
Oh!  Nice update!  I'll comment soon on what I'd do, but first I need to think about it some more.

I do have to mention how cool the office was.  That was awesome.  Very detailed, the weapons on the wall and the Twi'lek poster are outstanding.  Little details like that go a long way and add so much realism.

:P

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 21, 2005, 05:10 PM »
Oh!  Nice update!  I'll comment soon on what I'd do, but first I need to think about it some more.

I do have to mention how cool the office was.  That was awesome.  Very detailed, the weapons on the wall and the Twi'lek poster are outstanding.  Little details like that go a long way and add so much realism.

:P

Thanks, Chewie!

The twi'lek poster is actually one of four "Wanted" posters that hang on that other wall, but it's really the only one which is clearly visible in any of the shots.  The other three depict "tougher" looking types and all the images are stolen, er, borrowed from the site of EUCustomMan.

Additionally, the big green thing on that same wall is supposed to be a surveillance monitor, showing various locations around the station, but it didn't print out very well and the details are nearly impossible to see...oh, well!

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 23, 2005, 07:20 AM »
Okay, folks, time for a quick update!

Findswoman, Ryan and CorranHorn all suggested trying or tinkering with the seemingly broken Imperial comlink.

But the analysis came from jedistyle, who had some very intriguing (and alarming) ideas about why the comlink might not be working properly, even though he was the one who suggested turning it on in the first place!

So I tried to combine the two a bit in my reply.  Here goes!

(Please note, there is NO missing image, that icon is just a glitch!)

(Please ignore the missing image icon!  Again, it's just a glitch!)

CRAP, NOW WHAT?

Inventory:

dirty poncho (worn)

In hand:

Imperial comlink (transmitting!)
EM calibrator (from toolkit)

personal comlink
space helmet
Credit Stick
toolkit
hold-out blaster (worn on belt)

backpack containing:
change of clothes
control pad for ship
data pad with technical schematics
73 credits
stormtrooper belt (worn) containing:
grappling hook & cord
2 spare ammo clips
binders
ration bar
mini tool kit

« Last Edit: November 2, 2005, 12:19 AM by Quazar »

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #145 on: October 23, 2005, 07:28 AM »
Oh crap another broken link (the last on e)  :'(
"This is the way."

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: INTERACTIVE Photonovel - UPDATE 10/23!!!
« Reply #146 on: October 23, 2005, 08:15 AM »
After a great chat with Lance tonight, I found out that there is no missing frame, the last one should be the one that ends with “Right? Right?”

I'm thinking about pawning the commlink and stormtrooper belt off on the guy, like we did earlier, either we can just give it to him or if need be bribe him to take it. That way if the Imps are waiting for us at the bottom him being drunk might give us an alibi. We just tell them we know nothing about him and that he got the elevator moving and we had never met him before, and we wouldn’t actually be lying. If drunky tries to rat us out we just deny everything he says and point out how belligerently drunk he is. Hopefully they’ll believe us and take him into custody, and leave us alone. Then it is off to the rendezvous as planned. If no one is waiting for us at the bottom for some reason I’d still give the stuff to the drunk and have him go off the other way to get the Imperial attention off of us.

Great update Lance, this is really getting better with every installment!  :)
"This is the way."

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 23, 2005, 09:53 AM »
 nice little update...

- does the trace work while the comm is on or all the time no matter if it's on or off?

- now i would seriously consider knocking out the drunk and planting the imperial equipment on him.

- but i think telling him to go to the nearest level that has a luiqor store would be best. just in case there is someone waiting for you, i'd open a hatch, where ever it's at in the elevator car, and hide the imperial equipment, this is where i'd consider knocking out the drunk so he wouldn't say anything stupid and give you guys conflicting stories, ready my blaster beneath my poncho, and just wait until the doors open!  if there was no one waiting for you, i'd ditch the imperial equipment in the trash somewhere on that level.
then i would continue on too my meeting, alone!!!

« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 01:05 PM by jedistyle »
=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline findswoman

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 23, 2005, 10:15 AM »
I have the same question as Jedistyle: Can the Imperials trace the comlink if it's off, or can they only do so as long as it's on?  Fortunately we've only had it on for a few seconds, but would that be enough time to allow the Imperials to trace it to us & be waiting for us when we get to level 78?  My own guess would be no -- they would have found us long ago otherwise, wouldn't they?  I'm not really sure, though. 

The answer to that should determine if we should or shouldn't get rid of the comlink right this red-hot second.  If it transmits the beacon only when it's on, then we don't need to get rid of it right away; we can just keep it switched off until we find a convenient place to get rid of it when we get to 78 -- a trash compactor, say.  But if it transmits the beacon when it's off, as well, then we should get rid of it ASAP -- slip it off on the drunk, stuff it into to the broken wall of the elevator or a hatch, as Jedistyle suggests.  Whatever we decide. 

I hope we won't have to use any violence on the drunk guy.  What sort of way would that be to thank him for his help?  Of course,  this is a rough, tough galaxy... Anyway, for the reasons I've given above, I don't think we'd need to do that, in any case.

Whatever happens, I know we'll make the right decision! :)

... the Findswoman

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 23, 2005, 01:41 PM »
There's only one way to answer jedistyle and findswoman's question - to try turning the comlink off to see if that makes a difference.

So here's your answer:

WHAT NOW?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 01:44 PM by Quazar »