Author Topic: SW - Labyrinth of Evil (Ep3 Precursor)  (Read 6793 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
SW - Labyrinth of Evil (Ep3 Precursor)
« on: March 7, 2005, 03:59 PM »
Anyone started reading this one yet?

I don't normally enjoy the made-up EU stuff, but I do tend to enjoy the filler "prequel" books they've done.  I liked the "Approaching Storm" which explained the events leading up to Episode 2, and I really liked the "Cloak of Deception", the Episode 1 prequel book.  Both did a great job of dropping you off at the starting point of the films.

Anyway, I had a chance to page through the book at B-n-N this weekend, and it loooked pretty good.  I have really enjoyed other SW books that Luceno has done (The NJO Agents of Chaos Duology as well as the aforementioned Cloak of Deception) and after previewing it in the store, I'm definately picking this one up. 

I couldn't bring myself to pay full price for a hard cover, so I passed on it at the store and just ordered it from Amazon.com today (can't beat 35% off cover price and free shipping since I picked up a few other books  ;)).

Anyone else considering reading this book?

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: SW - Labyrinth of Evil (Ep3 Precursor)
« Reply #1 on: March 8, 2005, 01:51 PM »
I've actually read this book, along with the adventure that takes place before it in the book "Jedi Trial" (this is the book where Anakin earns the rank of Jedi Knight)

Anyway - both books are enjoyable and REALLY fast reads. I did enjoy reading "The Approaching Storm" and  "Cloak of Deception" both as well. The idea of having a prequel book that covers the lives of the characters right before the movie helps explain how the character got to where they are at the start of the film.

The focus of Labyrinth of Evil is two-fold: Anakin and Obi-Wan's quest to bring Dooku and Sidious down and Dooku & Grevious' actions as they (a) move the seperatist leaders to a sole location and (b) Plot and execute an invasion of Coruscant.

The parts with Anakin and Obi-Wan were great -- they emphasized how they had grown as comrades in combat, compesating for each other's weaknesses and functioning as one force. There were never any times during the book where Anakin and Obi-Wan were at odds like they were at times during AOTC so it showed real growth (mostly for Anakin) of these two characters.

A sub-plot of the book deals with Mace Windu leading the search for Sidious who they believe is operating from Coruscant (duh) - the search leads them to an area called "The Works" - we got a glimpse of this part of Coruscant at the end of AOTC - basically it's a large collection of run-down factories and industrial complexes. Mace, a few other Jedi and a squad of clones follow tunnels that they find underneath the building where they have evidence of a meeting between Dooku and Sidious that leads them all the way to the exact same building where Palpatine lives (go figure!).

However, before Mace can investigate further, Grevious unleashes his invasion of Coruscant and heads to the surface of Coruscant himself with the intent of capturing the Supreme Chancellor.

Like I said, the book moves quickly and is a really plesant read. It's nice to see HOW Grevious gets Palpatine in that chair in the "Generals' Quarters" at the start of ROTS.

I would definitely recommend it - especially to anyone looking to expand the story surrounding EPIII. I hear that there will be a book that will be coming out near the end of this year that will deal directly with the days following EPIII - so as a trilogy of stories, they should form a nicely expanded telling of the events leading to the fall of the Republic and the Birth of Darth Vader and the Empire.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 01:53 AM »
As part of my build-up for the movie next week, I just finished reading Labyrinth of Evil. Like Jeff, I'm not huge into reading the EU stuff, but do enjoy books like this that tie directly into the movies.

This was a quick read, but throughly enjoyable, and definitely helped get me hyped for the opening crawl ever more now!

Offline Jedidz23

• Jedi Initiate
  • Amy Allen... priceless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 01:17 PM »
Would you say this book is spoiler free?  I really want to check it out, but will wait until after I see Episode III if this book has spoilers. :-[

Offline JedioftheNorth

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 02:51 PM »
It leads into episode 3 and you should definently read it before the movie comes out.  This is one of the best star wars books I've ever read so check it out lots of action, gives background on general grievous, just an all around good read.  5 out of 5  ;D.

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 03:10 PM »
Hello,

I am reading this book know and have found it extremely well written and informative.  To date no spoilers it is very helpful in filling in some gaps from AOTC.

I agree that it is very informative about Grievous and Dooku and would consider it a must read.  The book is feeding my jones for the movie.

DBK

Offline Jedidz23

• Jedi Initiate
  • Amy Allen... priceless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 03:17 PM »
Hello,

I am reading this book know and have found it extremely well written and informative.  To date no spoilers it is very helpful in filling in some gaps from AOTC.

I agree that it is very informative about Grievous and Dooku and would consider it a must read.  The book is feeding my jones for the movie.

DBK

That is really great to know!!  Thanks!  :)  It looks cool, but I am as spoiler free as they come, so I really want to avoid any plot details.   :-X  I trust you though!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 06:00 PM by Jedidz23 »

Offline Commander JediSearch

• Jedi Initiate
  • Do what must be done... I support Order 66
    • View Profile
    • The Archive
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 09:35 AM »
Hello,

DBK

Exactly!  I totally agree with your statements, especially the "feeding the jones" part.  ;D
Stephen - Louisville, KY
Sandtroopers | KSWCC | My Collection

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 07:05 PM »
I read it. I liked it a lot. I have a half-finished review I hope to post one of these days.

In the meantime, here's an interview I did with Jim Luceno:
http://www.clonewarz.com/features/interviews/luceno.htm

I'll be doing Part Deux in the near future (including some more in-depth questions about LoE), so if there's a question you'd like to ask him, let me know and I might use it!
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline LadyVader93

• Youngling
  • i love you...i know
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 10:37 PM »
it is the best sw book ever!
my master the flies have been taken care of
been swatted to death they were
died by lime-green swatter they did!

Offline Ghost of QG

• Jedi Initiate
  • Pimpin' the Midwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2006, 09:00 PM »
it is the best sw book ever!

I agree. Best EU book.

Offline 77Skywalker

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 02:20 PM »
Question: Were the last 4 chapters of Star Wars Clone Wars exactly what had happened in Labyrinth of Evil and led into Revenge of the Sith?

Offline Ghost of QG

• Jedi Initiate
  • Pimpin' the Midwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 05:05 PM »
Question: Were the last 4 chapters of Star Wars Clone Wars exactly what had happened in Labyrinth of Evil and led into Revenge of the Sith?

There were some things that didn't mesh between the two (Obi-Wan and Anakin's mission, Mace Windu  and Shaak Ti's involvement) but the rest pretty much goes together.

Offline Darth Depressis

• Jedi Padawan
  • i've never seen garbage eat garbage before
    • View Profile
    • http://swfanon.wikia.com/wiki/User:Darth_Depressis
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 02:35 PM »
how can you label the other books as made-up, when its all really made-up? and lucas has massive control over the books. the only eu books that really seem made have to have been the banthem books, except the thrawn trilogy,the jedi academy trilogy and the hand of thrawn duo.

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2006, 01:32 AM »
I liked it, especally the TC-18 dark times part at the end. I wonder what happens to him.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m