Author Topic: MLB 2005  (Read 56022 times)

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
Re: MLB Playoffs - 2005
« Reply #240 on: October 17, 2005, 01:35 AM »
SOX Win The Pennant, The SOX Win the Pennant, wooooooooooooooooo!

This just a great moment for me, its unbelievable, I can only hope it can extend to that next level. Words just can't describe the excitement and anticipation, just WOW will do.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline SpudTrooper

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 17, 2005, 01:55 AM »
oh Angels  :'(

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 17, 2005, 08:01 PM »
Congrats CorranHorn.  As a Cubs fan (sigh) I can only imagine how unbelievably happy you must be.  Enjoy it and be glad your team did not choke away a 3-1 lead.  I actually am pretty happy for the White Sox.  It's nice to see a Chicago team from any sport do well.  Excluding the Bulls run with Jordan not much ever happens as far as title chances go. 

I got a bit of a grudge against Ozzie souly on this choke sign to the Cub fan in 03, but he does get his team to play very well.  Unlike a certain manager for the Cubbies :( 

I can't believe what Houston is doing.  I thought for sure St Louis would not have much problem with Houston because their offense is supposed to so bad.  Ha-ha!  Good pitching stops good hitting as they say. 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #243 on: October 17, 2005, 11:50 PM »

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #244 on: October 17, 2005, 11:54 PM »
Unreal!!  When Lidge came in and threw his first pitch - a 97mph heater that looked like 180mph - I didn't think the Cards would even make contact, let alone anyone would hit a ball 450 feet.  Freakin' fantastic!!!  :) 

So it's back to St. Louis.  Let's hope they can give Busch Stadium one last hurrah.  (Then get beaten by the Sox in the WS).  ;)

John

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 18, 2005, 06:57 AM »
I was so excited watching the 'Stros mount their comeback.  Like John, I didn't think STL would be able to do anything.  Then a couple of baserunner's later I started to worry a bit.

Then the commentators start talking (like they always do, just shut the **** up so I can watch the game without your ******* rambling!!), the mentioned giving Pujols a diet of sliders.  What the hell!!!!  You can't go up there and throw the same pitch every time.  The hitter will get his timing down and then hit a majestic blast, just like Pujols did.  Lidge needed to throw slider, fastball, then changeup on consecutive pitches to throw off the hitter's timing.

But the Astros are throwing Oswalt tomorrow and Clemens on Thursday, so there is still hope to see a World Series game in Texas.  Too bad it's not my Rangers.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 18, 2005, 11:18 AM »

:P

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 18, 2005, 08:15 PM »
That HR could be something that kills the Astros.  Plays like that often do in the postseason.  They have great pitching, though, they'll be fine if they can put that hit behind them.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #248 on: October 18, 2005, 11:39 PM »
I think just the psychological impact is devastating.  It happened with the Cubs back in '03.  Steve Bartman had little to do with the total collapse in Game 6 (they were five outs away) as much as they let his stupidity get to them.  Today all the sports shows were saying how the series was essentially over - they were replaying every flame out in baseball history and if I were the Astro's, I'd be pissed enough to go out there and prove them wrong.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #249 on: October 19, 2005, 12:45 AM »
Congrats CorranHorn.  As a Cubs fan (sigh) I can only imagine how unbelievably happy you must be.  Enjoy it and be glad your team did not choke away a 3-1 lead.  I actually am pretty happy for the White Sox.  It's nice to see a Chicago team from any sport do well.  Excluding the Bulls run with Jordan not much ever happens as far as title chances go. 

I got a bit of a grudge against Ozzie souly on this choke sign to the Cub fan in 03, but he does get his team to play very well.  Unlike a certain manager for the Cubbies :( 

I can't believe what Houston is doing.  I thought for sure St Louis would not have much problem with Houston because their offense is supposed to so bad.  Ha-ha!  Good pitching stops good hitting as they say. 

Thanks Broem, it's an unbelievable time here in Chicagoland. We still have the Cubs fans who hate the Sox more than they love the Cubs being all bitter about whats going on, but screw em. I'm actually a fan of the Cubs as well, and would be almost as happy to see them in the World Series. I say almost because the Sox always came first in my household growing up, but the Cubbies are right there.

Ozzie's personality can rub people the wrong way, but he does go out there and tell it like it is. Not like Dusty Baker, who will blame everyone but himself. Hopefully, he won't be around too much longer on the north side.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #250 on: October 19, 2005, 11:39 PM »
Go Astros!  Also, Kudos to yours truly for picking them to reach said set of games back in March

I also went 3 for 4 in each league, not too shabby

Scott's Picks for 2005:

AL East - New York
AL Central - Minnesota 
AL West - LA ::)
Wild Card - Boston

NL East - Atlanta
NL Central - Houston
NL West - San Francisco
Wild Card - Saint Louis

ALCS - New York vs. Minnesota
NLCS - Atlanta vs. Houston

World Series - New York over Houston

I like the Twins this year but for some reason I'm more worried about the White Sox and Indians than I normally have been.  THe Central will be a lot tougher than it has been in the past.

Also, the NL Central continues to be amazing, there are a legitimate 4 contenders in there which says something.  I'm picking Houston in the hopes Berkman and Pettite come back to form some time

I'm also banking on Bonds coming back (hopefully by June so I can see him play the Twinkees@ the Dome)

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 20, 2005, 09:36 AM »
I guess the Astros stepped up and put that HR behind them.  I like seeing teams in the World Series that either have never been in it or haven't won it in a long time.  I don't really care who wins, I just hope it's a good one.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: MLB Regular Season - 2005
« Reply #252 on: October 20, 2005, 10:27 AM »

My playoff predictions.  And as much as I want a repeat, I don't see it happening.  The Sox pitching, especially the bullpen, is horrible.  I don't see them slugging their way to another WS.

ALDS
Red Sox over White Sox
Angels over Yankees

NLDS
Cards over Padres
Braves over Astros (although I wouldn't be surprised if the Astros won - Clemens, Pettite and Oswalt in a short series is rough)

ALCS
Angels over Red Sox (I wish it was the other way around, but I'm a realist)

NLCS
Cards over Braves

WS
IMO, the two most complete teams - pitching, offense and defense - in the Majors make it.
Cards over Angels

Apparently, I'm no Warlord of Sports Betting.  I had both of the WS teams losing in the first round.  Admittingly, one pick was done with my heart, but that's pathetic.

Should be a good Series.  I don't really care who wins, I just want to see some good baseball.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 20, 2005, 01:27 PM »
I would think that the Astros have the edge here in a 7 game set, because they will be throwing Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte twice each, both are playoff hardened, plus Oswalt twice who's no slouch by any stretch of the imagination.  This will probably be a see saw back and forth series that goes 6 or 7 games, neither offense is ultra impressive, and you gotta give the 'stros an edge with their starting pitching and closer Lidge, who is probably the best in baseball with Gagne and Rivera.

I guess I'll say 'stros in 6.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 20, 2005, 09:46 PM »
This could end up being a very slow, low-scoring series dominated by pitching. 

I'm gonna say it goes 7 games.