Author Topic: MLB 2005  (Read 56204 times)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: MLB Regular Season - 2005
« Reply #225 on: October 14, 2005, 10:48 AM »
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 14, 2005, 11:39 AM »
Are we forgetting that baseball is just a game?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 14, 2005, 12:10 PM »
Angels got screwed out of the chance to win that game in extra innings - end of story.  Everyone in the country except Dressel seems to agree.

The argument that the Angels didn't do enough to overcome that only holds a little water since the White Sox didn't do enough to win without that either - they did do enough, to get the opportunity to win that game in the 10th or 11th or 20th.

I feel bad for the Ump.

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 14, 2005, 12:48 PM »
Are we forgetting that baseball is just a game?

Kevin

"He said...it's a crying shame and..erhm..start moving towards the door.."
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 12:49 PM by Cinemaddiction »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #229 on: October 14, 2005, 01:29 PM »
BTW, in the heat of this discussion I think I've failed to point out that I think that Josh Paul (the Angels third string catcher) totally ****** up, and is also an idiot.  Even though he obviously caught the ball, and the ump called the batter out, he should've definitely done what every other catcher in the majors does when there's even the slightest hint of question - just tag the batter in the ass while he's standing right next to you.  Sure, the ball was caught.  But it's momentum did barely push Paul's mitt into the dirt, so it's best just to play it safe and not rely on the ump to make the correct call.

Players in any sport should never rely on the ump/ref/whoever to make the right call, if there's something they can do just to make sure he can't screw it up.  Like in the NBA when an opposing player has clearly hit a ball that is going out of bounds, don't just let it go out of bounds if you can grab it, since you just never know what kind of bizarre **** is going through a ref's mind.  Play it safe and take the call out of his hands, if possible, which is what Josh Paul should've done in that game regardless of the fact that the batter was already out.

Scioscia screwed up badly by having Paul in there in the first place.  Sticking a journeyman third-string catcher into his first ever playoff game like that in the bottom of the ninth is just dumb.  But before Dressell comes charging back in here to explain exactly how and why that move transpired, again, I'm well aware of how Scioscia got to the point that he felt the need to stick him in the game.  Granted me saying that "I'm well aware" of something actually means that I have no idea what I'm talking about, according to Dressell, so who knows what nonsense he'll come up with next...

Offline sfg

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 14, 2005, 04:24 PM »
 :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 04:25 PM by sfg »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #231 on: October 14, 2005, 05:08 PM »
See?!  Even sfg agrees with me!!   >:(

:P

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 14, 2005, 05:45 PM »
This is why Canadians prefer hockey - much less violent.   :P

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 14, 2005, 08:37 PM »
This thread is locked. If you have a complaint about that, you know were I am!  >:(

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #234 on: October 15, 2005, 01:45 AM »
Just for some further clarification here, it appears that Dressel posted some ridiculously juvenile insults in here, with a rather lame picture to go with them, which had nothing at all to do with this thread.  It has since been removed (I wasn't even around, so I had nothing to do with it personally, as I'm sure Dressel will claim).  EDIT:  Actually, it appears that perhaps Dressel deleted it himself, now that I've reviewed the deleted post and it's properties in our archive.  So that (now missing) post is why Dale ultimately locked the thread here.

Anyway, we're going to take a short breather for a little while 'til a couple of us settle down a bit.  We'll try to resume in time for tomorrow's games though...

That said, brilliant freakin' game by the Halos tonight.  Way to bounce back fellas.  ::)

- Matt

EDIT:  Unlocked.  Let's see if we fare any better this time...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 04:13 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #235 on: October 16, 2005, 12:52 PM »
Go Sox, go 'Stros.

(Say, when's the regular season over?)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 01:21 PM by Bill Cosby »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 16, 2005, 01:18 PM »
(When's the regular season over?)

Good question.   :P

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #237 on: October 16, 2005, 01:27 PM »
Good question.   :P

Messing around with font sizes is funnnnnnnn.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
Re: MLB Playoffs - 2005
« Reply #238 on: October 16, 2005, 11:48 PM »
Congratulations to my former teammate Aaron Rowand on going to the World Series and having a chance to win a ring.

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
Re: MLB Playoffs - 2005
« Reply #239 on: October 17, 2005, 12:20 AM »
Despite the fact that I'm not much of an Ozzie Guillen fan (though I will say he's growing on me ;)), I have to say that I'm stoked to see the Sox make the world series!  I still hope the Cards can pull it off against the Astros, but either way I think we're going to see some of the best-pitched World Series games in years.

Two side notes though:

1)  The officiating has sucked throughout the playoffs.  I don't know if the umps are just worn out, but there have been a *lot* of bad calls and premature calls that have caused some tension between coaches players and fans, both in the ALCS and NLCS.  I hope the WS isn't riddled with that stigma.

2)  While Konerko had a good series against LA, I was a bit surprised to see Crede not win the ALCS MVP.  Konerko had the notable home runs, but Crede hit two himself and seemed to *always* deliver the right hit at the right time.  I think he got hosed.

John