Author Topic: MLB 2005  (Read 56444 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: MLB Regular Season - 2005
« Reply #255 on: October 21, 2005, 05:20 AM »
Should be a good Series.  I don't really care who wins, I just want to see some good baseball.

I'm the same way.  Unless it's one of my hated teams (the Yanks, the Rangers, or the Braves), I usually don't care who wins--just want to see good ball, hopefully going seven games.

Typically, I'll root for whoever won the Series last, but that doesn't really apply in this situation since one team hasn't won it in over eighty years, and the other team hasn't ever been there before.

I guess, since I have a dislike of anything having to do with the state of Texas, that ultimately, I'll be rooting for the White Sox in the Series.

Plus, Cubs fans annoy me, and I think it'd be funny to see what they'd do if the 'Sox won the big one before their beloved Cubbies did. . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
Re: MLB Playoffs - 2005
« Reply #256 on: October 21, 2005, 06:51 AM »
Have you ever been to Texas for an extended period?

That's also pretty narrow minded don't you think?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 06:55 AM by Chris M »
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #257 on: October 21, 2005, 06:49 PM »
Have you ever been to Texas for an extended period?

Not sure what qualifies as an "extended period," but I've been in Texas dozens of times in my life--enough to know that I don't relish the thought of going back any time soon.

That's also pretty narrow minded don't you think?

Oh, definitely!

Do I care?  Nope.

But thanks for your "input."  Let's get back on topic.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 24, 2005, 06:59 AM »
And another night with a blatanly bad call that turned the tide of the game.

I'm hoping this off season that MLB will do something about adding an instant replay.  Something like the NFL were another member of the umpiring crew can call down to the field on close calls.  That's at least twice that a blatant screw up has gone in favor of the Chi Sox. 

I know the next pitch to Konerko could have been differnt, or whatever, but we still got a completely blown call.  I also don't think this time it's really anyone's fault other than the umpire.  Jermaine Dye even acted confused when he was awarded first.  Come on umps, get a clue!!!!  Don't make such an important call, late in the game, so quickly.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #259 on: October 26, 2005, 03:22 PM »
No comments on the longest game in World Series history?

Man alive.

I missed the first three innings, then fell asleep somewhere around the fifth, woke up around the eighth, and still had a good two hours of ball left.

I was hoping for good baseball, and this has been good ball, but it looks like the Sox might wrap it up tonight.  I guess I should qualify that statement--I was hoping for good ball that went at least six games, preferably seven.  Make it interesting.  These World Series sweeps are for the birds. 

So, I'm temporarily pulling for the Astros tonight, and for the next two after that, if necessary.

Maybe the Ghost of Shoeless Joe can come back from Iowa and help the Sox throw a couple of games to give the Series some much-needed drama. . .

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #260 on: October 26, 2005, 07:02 PM »
Last night's game was unbelievable. I had to work overnight, so I left after the top of the 9th. Got to work during the bottom of the 10th and had a TV there with the game on. I got busy at the office, so I sorta stopped paying attention to the game, then suddenly Blum hits the homer and my head snapped towards the TV. Such excitement coming from yet another member of the Sox. Hopefully, in a few hours this will be over and history will have been made.

Chris: I do agree that there has been some blatantly screwed up calls, but last night's game has shown that they're actually going both ways (the home run that wasn't a home run, Dye getting hit by a pitch but it wasn't called, potential fan interference, and potential runner interference), it all depends on who takes advantage of the umps mistakes. Thankfully the Sox have been able to do so, as it certainly doesn't look like the umpires can get things right.

GO SOX!
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 26, 2005, 11:26 PM »
All the games have been pretty tight, but like so many times in the reg season the WS get the runs in the end to win it.  I think both teams are a bit dead after the 14 inning game last night.  Again I expect the WS to win this in the end tonight.  We'll see.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
The Chicago White Sox Are The World Champs!
« Reply #262 on: October 27, 2005, 02:12 AM »

Congratulations to the 2005 World Series Champions, the Chicago White Sox!

Woooooooo this is an amazing moment for me, probably the greatest single moment in my life. After years of suffering, finally Chicago has a World Series championship once again. I can still hear people screaming and honking their horns out the windows of my office here at work in downtown Chicago and it's just a wonderful thing. There are so many emotions running through me right now, I even shed some tears at the end of the game, it's been an amazing ride and I now know how Boston fans felt after last year. It's just awesome

WOO HOO!!!!
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 27, 2005, 05:43 AM »
Congrats to the Chi Sox.  It has been a long time in coming.

Embrace the suck.

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 27, 2005, 11:38 AM »
Hopefully the city is in one piece after today what with all the celebrating.  I suppose it would be worse had the Cubs won.  Congratulations on ending the long drought, Chicago.  :) 

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 31, 2005, 07:07 PM »
Theo Epstein.  Gone.

Guess he didn't want to be the one to trade Manny Ramirez and watch the Sox collapse next year, missing the playoffs.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: MLB Postseason 2005
« Reply #266 on: November 10, 2005, 02:51 PM »
So far we've got:

AL Manager of the Year - Ozzie Guillen (for keeping the White Sox in it)
NL Manager of the Year - Bobby Cox (for taking Atlanta to a 14th title - too bad they never go anywhere)
AL Rookie of the Year - Huston Street (A's)
NL Rookie of the Year - Ryan Howard (Phillies)
AL Cy Young - Bartolo Colon (21-8, 3.48 ERA, 157 Ks)
NL Cy Young - Chris Carpenter (21-5, 2.83 ERA, 213 Ks)

Any MVP Guesses?
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 10, 2005, 02:56 PM »
Willie Mays Hayes?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 10, 2005, 04:29 PM »
I musta been sleeping.  I didn't realize Carpenter won the Cy Young :o  Good for him, but I thought those two late losses might have nailed him shut in the coffin instead.  Guess not. 

MVP?  David Ortiz. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #269 on: November 10, 2005, 07:26 PM »
My votes go to Ortiz and Pujols.

Oh, and I find it appalling that Carpenter's Cy Young announcement was second fiddle on mlb.yahoo.com to Palmeiro not being charged.  Oi.

John