Author Topic: MLB 2005  (Read 56025 times)

Offline Clone On Fire

• Youngling
  • Blaze of Glory
    • View Profile
Re: MLB 2005
« Reply #285 on: December 8, 2005, 03:47 PM »
I think it's safe to say that Hank Blalock is in the top 20 hitters in baseball, near the bottom of that list.  What really surprises me here is that the Rangers really did an AMAZING young infield with Teixeira, Soriano, Young, and Blalock and decent pop in the outfield.  These guys do not make a lot of money relatively, and if you look at some of the pitchers who traded teams this offseason like Burnett and Beckett, I really think the Rangers should have tried to go for it now instead of unloading Soriano and trying to get rid of Blalock.

So yeah, it surprises me to see the Twins possibly getting Blalock.
They cannot conquer forever!

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 9, 2005, 12:37 PM »
We all knew Soriano was gonna get dealt, but I'm surprised they got no big arm in return.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 9, 2005, 01:58 PM »
We all knew Soriano was gonna get dealt, but I'm surprised they got no big arm in return.

I have no faith in the Rangers front office.  They've done this time and time again, let a great player go and get nothing in return.  Most of us knew Soriano was going elsewhere, but I thought the focus wasgoing to be on picking up a new starter...hopefully Matt Morris or Washburn.

But there is a lot of off season left and truly there have been very few deals made yet (except for the Marlins garage sale).  I'm sure in January we'll see several deals made.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 9, 2005, 03:00 PM »

Truly - what a disaster of a deal that is.  Soriano is one of the biggest bats in the majors, and the Rangers really made no improvements by doing this.  If I were building a team, Soriano would be one of my top choices to build around.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 9, 2005, 08:23 PM »

Truly - what a disaster of a deal that is.  Soriano is one of the biggest bats in the majors, and the Rangers really made no improvements by doing this.  If I were building a team, Soriano would be one of my top choices to build around.

Agreed.  The entire world knows they need pitching so what do they get for an asset like Soriano?  Hitting. 

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 9, 2005, 10:43 PM »
And remember they traded Alex Rodriguez for Soriano.  What kind of pitchers do you think A-Rod can bring back in exchange?
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 10, 2005, 12:29 AM »
One thing I thought about tonight was the tradeability (sp) of Wilkerson.  He's relatively low priced and he can should be able to be traded easier with the lower salary for a quality 3 or 4 pitcher the Rangers desperately need.  I just pray the Rangers don't go out and blow $20 million on Clemens.  Don't get me wrong, the Rocket is great, but he's not a long term player and that is what the Rangers need.  Like I said earlier, they need to throw the money at Matt Morris and Jarrod Washburn...that and take out that ******* Gold Club behind home plate that has turned the ballpark into a launching pad.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 21, 2005, 03:12 PM »
The Boss strikes again!  Damon signs with the Yankees.  Finally a solid lead off man and CF.  Very happy about this deal.   ;D

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #293 on: December 21, 2005, 04:29 PM »
The Boss strikes again!  Damon signs with the Yankees.  Finally a solid lead off man and CF.  Very happy about this deal.   ;D

Well, I guess the Yankees get what the Yankees want.   :P

It'll be interesting to see Damon all neat and trim again, goodbye Chewbacca Damon.   :'(
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #294 on: December 22, 2005, 01:21 PM »
Just reading an article over at ESPN talking about the Yankees new line-up...

CF Johnny Damon
SS Derek Jeter
RF Gary Sheffield
3B Alex Rodriguez
1B Jason Giambi
LF Hideki Matsui
C Jorge Posada
DH Bernie Williams
2B Robinson Cano

Uh... yeah.   :o

Not a fun time to be in the Red Sox nation, I'd guess...  :-X
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 22, 2005, 06:01 PM »
Well they are a lock for the playoffs...again.  But we'll see if it pans out this time for a WS ring.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 30, 2005, 08:46 AM »
The Rangers finally pulled the trigger and got an excellent starter.  I'm trying to decide if Millwood is a top tier pitcher or not.  He's a number 2 in most rotations, but an ace in Texas.  Nothing seemed to rattle the guy at the press conference yesterday announcing his 5 years $60 million contract...thanks Scott Boras...dumbass.

Anyway, bought time the Rangers finally nailed down a pitcher.  I guess it makes Texas a little more attractive now for Clemens should they decide that they can swing $20 million for him and all of his perks.

Embrace the suck.