Author Topic: Steroids in Sports  (Read 14405 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Steroids in Sports
« on: March 10, 2005, 11:53 AM »
OK, since this is bigger than just NFL or MLB or the Olympics, I thought I'd get us rolling on this topic in our new Sports Forum!

So, in recent 'Roids news, the US Congress is trying to get baseball players to testify on the subject:

MLB leaders plan to fight subpoenas

Do you think these guys should have to testify on the subject?

Is it in baseball's best interest to never find out if Bonds or McGwire or Sosa were on steroids?   :-\

I don't know how I feel about it.  If the players did it, it kinda sucks, but then again there was no testing for it - who knows what the right answer is?

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Re: Steroids in Sports
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 11:56 AM »
I think they should ALL have to play on steroids. That should level the field.

In all seriousness, I think alot of these guys who are on the 'juice' need to fess  up and let the world know that without enhancers, they aren't so great. It's really not fair to the fans, and I'm sure alot of them feel cheated a bit.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 07:48 PM »
Is it in baseball's best interest to never find out if Bonds or McGwire or Sosa were on steroids?   :-\

Only McGwire and Sosa.  It's in baseball's best interest to find out that Bonds is though, 'cause he's an ******* who nobody likes...   ;)

But yeah, this issue has gotten absolutely huge thoughout all sports.  It's to the point now where I basically just assume that they're all on the juice - baseball sluggers, olympians, linebackers, whoever.  It's out of control now.

Without rehashing the whole World vs. Bonds issue, just seeing his offensive explosion out of nowhere makes it totally obvious to me that he started using the juice.  I don't recall the first season he blew up, but when a career 30 homer a year guy starts going for 50, 60, 70+ dingers all of the sudden (and especially in his "older" years), that pretty much cements it to me.

What sucks, is that even with all the steroids testing in areas like the olympics, some athletes are still managing to find their ways around it.  There's always going to be a newer, undectable steroid drug as soon as the previous one becomes easy to spot, it seems.

I'm with Kev.  Instead of trying to fight the impossible, just let 'em all use it if they want!  Health be damned...   :P

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 06:41 PM »

Well, looks like McGwire has pretty much been labeled GUILTY now, by most everyone, after refusing to say whether or not he actually took them during his career, when he testified at the hearings last week.  I've seen a number of polls on whether people thought he was guilty, and most of them are running very high in favor of "yes".  They're even talking about taking his name off of Highways and stadiums that have been named after him.  What a shame.

I think after congress handed baseball it's ass last week, it's pretty much assumed that practically all of the top sluggers are, or have been, on the juice - including Bonds, McGwire, and Sosa, among others.

Meanwhile, Hank Aaron and Roger Maris are getting a big laugh out of it all, saying "I told you so!!!"  Big fat asterisks coming for all the slugging/homerun records from the mid 90's on.  Very sad for baseball.  Very sad.

Selig needs to get his stupid ass fired, first and foremost.  That guy's been a terrible "commisioner", and I'm glad to see this all fall squarely on his tenure.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 11:05 PM »

Well, looks like McGwire has pretty much been labeled GUILTY now, by most everyone, after refusing to say whether or not he actually took them during his career, when he testified at the hearings last week. 

That's because he is guilty, undoubtedly.  Here is McGwire before steroids:

And here he is AFTER.  Forearms, anyone? :

This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 11:07 PM »
Read a good article on ESPN today about if you are going to blackball all of these Baseball players...what about all of the Football players from the 70's and 80's who were also probably on juice?  We don't know who did or didn't take what.  With the hyper weight training and plethora of supplements out there, we'll never know

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 11:13 PM »
Read a good article on ESPN today about if you are going to blackball all of these Baseball players...what about all of the Football players from the 70's and 80's who were also probably on juice?  We don't know who did or didn't take what.  With the hyper weight training and plethora of supplements out there, we'll never know

Anyone who lifts weights knows how big they can get by doing so, it reaches a limit.  If you ask me, a LOT of NFL players are on steroids.  I think likely, and almost definite, baseball players included Jose Canseco, Mark McGwire, Barry Bonds, Gabe Kapler, Sammy Sosa, Bret Boone, Gary Sheffield, Jason Giambi and others.

Oh, and Rafael Palmeiro, who doesn't look it, at all.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 11:16 PM »
Well...the NFL has supposedly tested for Steroids though since 1989, unlike Baseball they should supposedly be clean.  It just took MLB that much longer to test for something that is illegal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=caple/050823

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 11:19 PM »
Well...the NFL has supposedly tested for Steroids though since 1989, unlike Baseball they should supposedly be clean. 

I know.  But just look at them.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 01:54 AM »

When even your cranium is getting bigger, you're on the juice.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 02:34 PM »
I wish everyone would just get over it (not you guys, but the public in general).  You wouldn't have believed the angst the Ben Johnson 'scandal' caused up here in Canada.  It received more attention and was more serious than the government misdirecting billions of dollars.  Absurd.

People have been cheating since the dawn of time.  Nail files or sandpaper in a ball cap, a spitball or whatever could be done.  The juice or versions thereof have been around at least since the early 70s and probably prior to that.  Take a look at some of the athletes at the '76 Olympics :o  Blood doping or who knows what else is common place.  It's not restricted to any one nation or groups of nations, it's everywhere.  Sorry, but only the US has held the high and mighty, we don't do it position.  Trust me, Carl Lewis and all his ilk will die early regardless of whether they wore the Union Jack, Stars and Stripes or a Hammer and Sickle. 

If people are stupid enough to screw with their long term health for the sake of personal or national glory, let them.  I just don't want to read any sob stories or he/she/they cheated and I'm clean stories any more.  All of them are full of ****, plain and simple.  I've known hockey players that are on the juice because they think it will give them an advantage.  The sport is irrelevant. 

And you cannot possibly have a clean and dirty set of events because some ******* in the clean group will turn around and try to cheat.  Morality is in the *******, nowhere more than in sports (ok, maybe TV :P).  If someone wants to compete clean, good for them.  I'd say they're smarter, they'll likely live longer but will make marginally less money.  I'd suggest it's a fair tradeoff.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: March 7, 2006, 05:05 PM »
Sounds like a new book coming out on Bonds...

Bonds Exposed - Shadows details superstar slugger's steroid use

Still don't know how I feel about all this.  Obviously if a guy is caught and flunks a test (Palmiero), he's out.  No Hall of Fame, you got caught on one of the big cheats, end of story.

But what to do with the "probably" players.  Guys like Sosa, McGuire, Bonds - they were all "probably" on designer steroids, but we will never really know 100% for sure I guess unless proof pops up somehow.

How can you decide which "probably" players to keep out and which ones to keep in? (well, Sosa most likely won't make the hall either way but you get my point)   :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Ithorian Clergy

• Jedi Initiate
  • Straight up rocket scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 7, 2006, 10:54 PM »

But what to do with the "probably" players.  Guys like Sosa, McGuire, Bonds - they were all "probably" on designer steroids, but we will never really know 100% for sure I guess unless proof pops up somehow.

How can you decide which "probably" players to keep out and which ones to keep in? (well, Sosa most likely won't make the hall either way but you get my point)   :-\

Sammy Sosa is definitely going to the Hall of Fame.  He has 588 career HRs, 1,500 + RBIs, 2 time 30/30 club.  Sosa hit 30+ HRs on 11 occasions (including 10 consecutive seasons), 40+ HRs on 7 occasions, 50+ HRs on 4 occasions and 63+ HRs on 3 occasions  :o :o  He knocked in 100+ runs on 9 occasions and achieved the 140 RBI plateau 3 times.  He also has 2,300 hits.

I think they are all going to make the Hall of Fame unless they are tried in a court of law and convicted.  We're innocent until proven guilty in this country until that happens.
« Last Edit: March 7, 2006, 11:07 PM by Ithorian Clergy »
If you vote for me all of your wildest dreams will come true.  Thank you.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 8, 2006, 07:41 AM »

Sammy Sosa is definitely going to the Hall of Fame. 

And I'd wager that is definitely not going to the Hall of Fame.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 8, 2006, 09:09 PM »
I think they will go to the Hall because at the time MLB did NOTHING to test those athletes.  It was an ask don't tell kind of mentality.  They let them get away with it.  Is it right?  No, but certainly within the "rules".   Or their unenforced rules.