Author Topic: College Hoops 2003/2004  (Read 4773 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
College Hoops 2003/2004
« on: December 8, 2003, 05:04 PM »
I'm not sure how many college hoops fans we have here, but I thought I'd start a place to discuss the season, your team, and eventually March Madness.  In Nebraska, we've never been much known for our hoops, which is probably why I have been a North Carolina fan since I was in junior high.  It has been rough the last couple of years, but hopefully they are turning it around a little this year.  So far so good (5-0).  I'm not expecting a National Title, but it would be nice to just be back in the Tourney :).  Good luck to all of your teams out there!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: College Hoops 2003/2004
« Reply #1 on: December 8, 2003, 05:11 PM »
UCLA in da' house!   8)  Absolutely zero expectations for them this year - by me or the critics.  They weren't even ranked in the top 65 in some pre-season poll I saw a few weeks ago.  They started off pretty well in their first couple games against some crappy opponents, and also came really close to beating #9 Kentucky in the Wooden Classic tournament this past weekend (52-50), so that's a pretty good sign that they're going to be better than advertised.

I think we got some transfer player from your team there Brian - North Carolina.  I forget his name, but he transferred out in 2001 I think, and has been kicking some booty for us so far.  Dropped five 3's the other night I believe.  With UCLA's hoops history, expectations are usually very high, which is why Steve Lavin got canned despite going to like six Sweet 16's during his tenure.  Championship or bust in Westwood.  Just probably not this year though...

When UCLA's not on the floor, I'll root for the other Pac-10 teams (except hated USC).  So it was nice to see Stanford just knock #1 Kansas off in that same Wooden tournament there.  Big UCSB (Santa Barbara) fan too, but they're kinda small school so they usually don't make too much noise in the bigger picture.  Sure had some incredible teams back in the late 80's/early 90's though, when we were knocking off #1 UNLV on a regular basis!   8)
« Last Edit: December 8, 2003, 05:17 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: College Hoops 2003/2004
« Reply #2 on: December 8, 2003, 05:25 PM »
I think we got some transfer player from your team there Brian - North Carolina.  I forget his name, but he transferred out in 2001 I think, and has been kicking some booty for us so far.  Dropped five 3's the other night I believe.  With UCLA's hoops history, expectations are usually very high, which is why Steve Lavin got canned despite going to like six Sweet 16's during his tenure.  Championship or bust in Westwood.  Just probably not this year though...

Yeah, I think that guy's name is Brian Morrison.  Not too bad a player, I hope he does well even though he left Tarheel land.  He can shoot the rock pretty well...and if I remember right from last year, he has some ups too for a shorter player.  Good luck to him, as well as the Bruins :).

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
March Madness 2004
« Reply #3 on: March 9, 2004, 01:51 PM »
OK, so my FAVORITE time of year is almost upon us. I propose we set up a STAR WARS bracket on ESPN.com and see who is this board's god of college hoops. I would want to include everyone on Rebelscum and JediDefender because of the overlap. Does this sound interesting to anyone?

Consider this the gauntlet cast to the hardwood...

If interested, I'll set us up an account and post the usergroup name and password here in this thread.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: March Madness 2004
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004, 06:03 PM »
Hmm...  Sounds interesting.  I used to win my office pool every year for quite a while, but I've lost some interest in college hoops over the past couple years (probably due to UCLA sucking ass during that time), so I'm not as attuned to the goings on as I once was.  I think another reason is the lack of "stars" in college ball anymore, since they all jump to the pros so quickly nowadays...

But I might hop in if you get things set up Spider.  This just a free gig, or are you thinking of upping the stakes a bit?  Don't matter much to me really...

I wonder if St. Joe's is still going to get a #1 seed after getting B-slapped by 20 yesterday?

Whaddaya say JD'ers?  Should we show those 'Scummers what we're made of?   8)

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 06:01 PM »
OK, we are the "Scumbags". That is our group name.

Go here: http://tcmen.espn.go.com/tcmen/frontpage

You will have to create an espn.go.com account, then after you register go to the groups page and type in "Scumbags" and join this group.

Our location: http://games.espn.go.com/tcmen/group?groupID=22228&entryIDFrom=518924

and the password to join is "ncaa" all lowercase.

Trash talking is encouraged.

I'd say good luck, but I already know I'm going to win.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004, 10:34 AM »
Still 1 hour 45 minutes left to get your brackets in!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2004, 02:30 PM »
First game = First Upset, Manhattan throttles Florida!

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2004, 02:55 PM »
Yeah, that sucked. I had Florida winning that one and one more.

My alma mater Texas Tech, coached by the legendary nutcase Bobby Knight, advances.

Maryland takes out UTEP.

I'm 2-1 so far.

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2004, 03:40 PM »
I'm already screwed.  :( I went out on a limb and had Charlotte going to the Sweet Sixteen, and there's no way I could've seen Manhattan doing that to the Gators. On a brighter note, I did manage to pick Maryland...in the UTEP game. ;)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2004, 03:56 PM »
First game = First Upset, Manhattan throttles Florida!

Ya' know, interestingly enough, I heard a number of sports commentators and fans saying the one sure-fire upset in the first round was going to be Manhatten over Florida.  Seemed a lot of folks were privy to the unknown talent on Manhatten.  Based on that info, I was going to go with Manhatten myself when I made my picks, but unfortunately, I didn't have any time since work is absolutely SLAMMING my ass this week.  Oh well.  When all is said and done, I'll just point out that I would've beat you all anyway!   :-*

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2004, 07:15 PM »
So, at 5pm CST, the standings after 8 games are:

1 Walker 80
1 Butler 80
1 That Guy 80
4 DarthBigBoy 70
4 almufti 70
4 sfg 70
4 MacEachran 70
4 Spiderlegs 70
4 Loop Trash Migel 70
10 Shorter 60
10 KC Nunbnutz 60
10 MN Chuckles 60
13 cook 50
13 McReynolds 50
13 Wirth 50
13 Gonzales 50
17 Colman 0
17 O C B 0

So am I right in assuming neither JediMac nor OCB were able to make their picks?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2004, 07:18 PM by SPIDERLEGS »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2004, 08:46 PM »
Yeah I guess not...I did have another entry though that I did enter the picks...

http://tcmen.espn.go.com/tcmen/html/view?entryIDFrom=3030438

Right now I have 70 points

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2004, 09:09 PM »
Ah the General...why wasn't he there in Lubbock when I was there...Not like I would have gone to games in the Old Colesium anyway.

Of course now with St. Joes "warmed up" by Liberty, I fear for our second round chances.

I'd enjoy Okla St. getting beat tomorrow. And I'm not a huge Basketball fan, but I do get tired of hearing about Duke, U Conn and Kentucky so I'll root for whoever is playing them.

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2004, 11:41 AM »
When were you at Tech?