Author Topic: NFL 2003/04  (Read 60817 times)

Fettish Sez Thanks

Re: NFL 2003
« Reply #165 on: November 17, 2003, 06:41 PM »
Yeah, Kenyatta Jones from your very own Pats.

I was talking about the Kenyatta who is going to get an even ruder awakening then being booed out of Tampa, when he finally snaps someones neck by way of facemask wrestling.

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #166 on: November 19, 2003, 05:10 PM »

We still have 3 more tough games I'm worried about: the Panthers this week, the Dolphins on T'giving, and at the Eagles. I think we can go 3-2 (counting the Bills and Patriots) in those 5 games, and we're 1-1 so far. The next two are at home, and we are 4-1 at home, 3-2 on the road.

Fettish Sez Thanks

« Reply #167 on: November 20, 2003, 12:04 AM »
Cowboys play the Fins on Thanksgiving? Man, whatever happened to the good ol days when it was almost always Skins and Cowboys?

Anywho, after being blanked by way of 4 field goals, I have a little more faith in the Cats abilities this week. Guess we'll just have to wait and see though.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 20, 2003, 08:34 AM »
Mark my words, the Cowboys won't win the NFC East.  While they do have a good, almost great, defense, their offense is suspect.  Honestly, how many good teams have they beaten?  They barely beat the Eagles in Dallas when the Birds were the second coming of the 90s Bengals.  Bills?  Not a good team.  Jets?  Ditto.  Giants and Redskins?  Overated.  

Are they going in the right direction?  Most definitely and that's coming from a life long Cowboys hater.  The Tuna knows how to coach and they will win a division title sooner rather than later.  It just won't be this year.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 20, 2003, 09:16 AM »
I have to agree, I am a die hard Cowboy fan and when the season started, all I wanted for Christmas was a better showing than 5-11.....now that we've got that, I have amended my list to picking up a Quarterback in the Offseason that can do more than "Mangage" a game, but win one.  Carter is the best we've got, but far from good.  

Every win from now on is just Icing for me.  

My only complaint is that with the Defense we have, most High School QB's could at least find a way to put 14 points on the board and win some games......

I think they will win the Division this year, but lose in the first round....

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #170 on: November 20, 2003, 11:14 AM »
Mark my words, the Cowboys won't win the NFC East.  While they do have a good, almost great, defense, their offense is suspect.  Honestly, how many good teams have they beaten?  They barely beat the Eagles in Dallas when the Birds were the second coming of the 90s Bengals.  Bills?  Not a good team.  Jets?  Ditto.  Giants and Redskins?  Overated.  

Are they going in the right direction?  Most definitely and that's coming from a life long Cowboys hater.  The Tuna knows how to coach and they will win a division title sooner rather than later.  It just won't be this year.

Well, we'll see. The buzz from Valley Ranch is that they have been working on the mistakes which have plagued them the last few games. We are tough at home, and similarly to the Pats, the Panthers are mirror images of the Cowboys even down to the lackluster offenses. If we win just 2 of our next 3 games, I think the division will be ours!

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 20, 2003, 11:54 AM »

The buzz from Valley Ranch is that they have been working on the mistakes which have plagued them the last few games.

Saying you're fixing the problem and actually doing it are too different things.

We are tough at home, and similarly to the Pats, the Panthers are mirror images of the Cowboys even down to the lackluster offenses.

The big difference is the Pats have beaten good teams (Miami, Tennessee) while the Cowboys have not (Bucs, Pats).  A good team beats other good teams, not just the scrubs.

If we win just 2 of our next 3 games, I think the division will be ours!

Ok, Dallas' next three games are at home versus Carolina, at home against Miami on Thanksgiving (on four days rest) and at Philadelphia.  I'll give you Carolina but I don't see them beating Miami on four days rest.  While the Fins have had their problems this year on offense, their D is one of the tops in the league.  We've all seen how good Carter has played against good defenses,ie, the Bucs and Pats.  No points.  While I don't expect Miami to shut them out - it is Thanksgiving and the Boys always play good on that day - I don't think Dallas will win.

That leaves them 1-1, leaving them having to beat Philly if they want the division (according to your scenario).  I can guarantee you the Eagles have been waiting for this game since that loss they suffered in Dallas, a game they should have won.  And how tough is it to sweep a divison opponent?  Sure it does happen, but I just don't see the Eagles losing two to the Cowboys this year.

The key will be the final 3 weeks.  After week 14, I have the Boys at 8-5 and the Eagles at 9-4, beating Dallas and either Carolina or NO.  The Eagles then finish at Miami, SF at home and at Washington.  The Boys are at Washington, Giants at home and at NO.  Those two remaining division games for the Boys are key.

But hey, if I'm wrong and the Cowboys do actually win the division, then I'm man enough to come in here and admit as such.   Either way, it should be a great final six weeks of the season.

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #172 on: November 20, 2003, 01:06 PM »
Aaahhh, but Miami plays that Sunday NIGHT, so no practice on Monday. They practice on Tuesday, then fly to Dallas on Wednesday (maybe get a walk-through) and play Thursday. Edge Dallas (who play at noon on Sunday).

And what do you mean we haven't beaten any good teams? The Eagles are tied with us for first place and we beat them!

As for fixing mistakes, come on, you're a Pats fan. You of all people should know that when Parcells wants something fixed, it gets fixed.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 20, 2003, 02:24 PM »
Yes I know they beat the Eagles.  I know a win is a win, but the Eagles weren't exactly playing good ball back then and they Boys only beat them by two points.  Besides them, what other "good" team have the Cowboys beaten?

And you should know that fixing problems doesn't happen in a week.  Parcells did fix a lot of problems with the Pats, but it certainly didn't happen in a week. His first year he was 5-11, then 9-7 the following I believe and in his third year, they went to the Super Bowl.  So yes, he fixed problems but it took him three years.

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 20, 2003, 06:34 PM »
I've come to accept the Buc's not going back to the Super Bowl, nor the playoffs, and the possibility that this is going to hurt Warren Sapp's chances of coming back, as well as a few others.

Like years past, I'll stay true, and just hope for a healthier Buc's team next year.

So what's your take on the Bucs dumping Keshawn cold turkey?  Talented as hell, but one heck of an attitude with that guy!

I'm still expecting a few of the overachieving teams in the league to flounder over the course of the final third of the season.  You can only play over your heads for so long, before reality catches up to you!  Several of them already have over the last couple weeks.

But I think the race to the Super Bowl is still wide open.  Much moreso than in any recent years that I can remember.  Just no real standout teams that are heads and shoulders above the rest, especially since I don't quite buy into the Chiefs impressive season quite yet.  I'd have to say that the AFC is looking a little stronger overall, with the Pats, Chiefs, Colts and Titans all playing pretty well, and sporting some solid D.  But the Chiefs (and maybe Colts) seem to have the best balance when it comes to some decent offense as well.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 21, 2003, 07:32 AM »
Even as a Pats fan, I think the Titans are the class of the AFC right now, but the Chiefs, Colts and Pats are not that far behind.  Any one of them has a legitimate shot at the Super Bowl.

Now the NFC is completely different.  There are just a bunch of mediocre teams.  Right now, if I had to pick the NFC Champions, I would say the Eagles.  After starting out horribly and decimated with injuries, they have been winning lately, albeit very ugly.  Last week against the Giants, everything clicked:  offense, defense and the injured players are starting to return.  You know what they say, the best time to get good is at the end of the season and its happening for the Eagles.  The only other teams I see as even being serious contenders are Carolina and possibly the Rams.  But the Eagles have the experience and they know this year is it.  If they don't it done this year, then its going to be a while before Philadelphia has a Super Bowl Champion.

As for Keyshawn, its a classic case of addition by subtraction.  Its a little too late for the Bucs to salvage their season, so this is the first step into bettering the team for next year.  Its possible he'll go to Dallas, but they already have a solid trio of receivers.  But he'll fit right in there, he's a typical Dallas player.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 21, 2003, 08:32 AM »
It would take some serious work for Keyshawn to fit under the Salary Cap here at his present salary.  Besides we need a Running Back.

As far as NFC contenders go, and as much as it pains me, I think the 49'ers have a good chance to come on strong at the end.  And it is true what you say, it is the team that finishes strong or hits their stride at the end that usually has the best playoff run, unless they choke on success.

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #177 on: November 21, 2003, 11:35 AM »
Its possible he'll go to Dallas, but they already have a solid trio of receivers.  But he'll fit right in there, he's a typical Dallas player.

What's that supposed to mean?!?! >:(

Fettish Sez Thanks

« Reply #178 on: November 21, 2003, 12:53 PM »

So what's your take on the Bucs dumping Keshawn cold turkey?  Talented as hell, but one heck of an attitude with that guy!

Keenan McCardell seems to be filling whatever void Keyshawn's leaving quite nicely.

Personally, I've never really cared for the guy. He had a bigger mouth in N.Y. than Terrell Owens has ever had. Their recieving core is stacked, and the running game is crap. When it comes to the run, we solely depend on Michael Pittman. No more Mike Alstott, and it seems like Aaron Stecker may as well just be returning kicks.

As for the Buc's actually losing Keyshawn, whos to say. He and Jon Gruden have such a good relationship, but his play isn't equaling his pay. Whatever happened to Snoop Meniss? Claimed him off of waivers from the Chiefs and haven't heard about him since?

Theres just alot wrong in T. Bay, and it needs to be straightened out in the offseason. There's really no excuse either, especially when you come back with the same players from last years Super Bowl champion team, sans Dexter Jackson. I mean, even when key players came back off of injuries, they still play like ****.

I'd rather see the Buc's get rid of Keyshawn, and rework their Defensive line over anything else. The season isn't totally unsalvageable, but if we keep playing like this, even a Wild Card bid seems like a stretch, and thats hard for me to accept.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 21, 2003, 02:00 PM »
Its possible he'll go to Dallas, but they already have a solid trio of receivers.  But he'll fit right in there, he's a typical Dallas player.

What's that supposed to mean?!?! >:(

I know you love Dallas, but they haven't had the greatest history with players.  Keyshawn is an egoist, which I is why I said he'll fit in nicely, along with Terry Glenn and Joey Gallaway.  Add to that list Michael Irvin, who had a huge ego, not to mention he was a crack head and a rapist.  And Larry Allen isn't exactly the next coming of the Pope, either.  How about Nate Newton?  How many times has he been arrested for marijuana possession and I'm not talking for a joint or ounce, either.  He had pounds of it multiple times.  Defend them all you want, but the above players are scumbags.  Its too bad Emmit had to play in Dallas with scumbags, he was a class act.