Author Topic: NFL 2003/04  (Read 60441 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: NFL 2003
« Reply #270 on: December 29, 2003, 03:35 PM »
I hate to admit it, but if the Pack happen to win the Superbowl, I could profit from it.  Have a nice white, minty Beth Favre NFL7 McFarlane figure sitting under my desk.  Wonder how quick I could have it sell on ebay the day after? :P
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 29, 2003, 07:21 PM »
Ugh, my Kingdom for a Runningback and a QB that throws to a receiver or LEADS a receiver, not behind a receiver.

Step 1 is complete, the Cowboys are back in the playoffs.  Now if we can get Troy Hambrick to go play for Arizona, we might be able to get a decent RB, somebody who can take 4 steps forward before falling down, as oppossed to T Ham's "3 step Drop"...

A positive year to be sure no matter what happens Saturday.  My prediction, the Cowboys either win or get shutout...no middle of the road.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 29, 2003, 08:08 PM »
My God, why did St Louis even show up in Detroit??   The defense was pathetic and I'm not sure which quarterback to root for anymore.  Home field advantage...and they blow it.  

I like Mariucci and all (home boy) and would like to see Detroit pull themselves out of the gutter and bring back some glory to the Lions organization but couldn't they have saved this one-time performance for next year?  All it did was screw up their draft pick.  Oh well...at least the Rams are in the playoffs (sorry Scott, I was really rooting for the Vikes, just to annoy the family Packer fans). :-\
Beth

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #273 on: December 29, 2003, 09:54 PM »
This latest debacle for me ranks #4 on dissapointing Vikings moments

#7 Drafting Darrin Nelson instead of Marcus Allen in the draft...Marcus Allen won a Super Bowl for the Raiders, he's in the Hall of Fame, see #7 for the best Darrin Nelson Moment.

#6 The Packers winning the Super Bowl in 1997.  You could always fall back on the fact that the Packers had SUCKED from about 1970 until that moment when they whalloped the Patriots.  The Vikes at least have been competitive for most of my life with only 3 or 4 bad years thrown in...that was a horrible time  :'(

#5 The aforementioned Herschel Walker trade...like I said he was OK here but there was so much more expected.  Then looking at what Dallas got...3 times in the 90's it could have been Purple and Gold up there instead of the Cowboys :'( :'(

#4  Sunday's implosion in Arizona...made worse by the fact that the Packers are going to the playoffs instead of the Vikes.  :'( :'( :'(

#3 Darrin Nelson drops a goal line pass against Washington in 1987 in the NFC Championship.  It would have given them the lead...he had it in his hands...he dropped it.  Washington went on to kill the Broncos in the Super Bowl.  Years later on local talk shows people would call in and ask him why he dropped it...funny stuff.    Wasn't at the time though  :'( :'( :'( :'(

#2  2000 NFC Championship.  After blowing Homefield advantage by losing to some horrible teams in December, the Vikes were absolutely pummeled by the Giants, 41-0.  They fumbled the opening kickoff and NY scored like 4 times in 12 minutes.  It brought back horrible memories of what might have been... :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

#1 1998 - Gary Anderson missed his only kick of the year in the 4th Quarter in the NFC Championship.  The Vikes blow a big lead against a good Falcons team and don't go to the Super Bowl.  This was the 15-1 team, the highest scoring team in NFL history, the team with a pretty decent defense, that was the chance...that was the year.  They choked, I cried.  It was horrible :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

#1a I can't remember but it's a large part of Vikings lore...supposedly the Vikings best ever team was beaten by the Cowboys in the NFC Championship back in the 70's  The famous Hail Mary...Staubach to Pearson play where Pearson clearly pushes off from the defender and is not called.  I guess the game was full of horrible reffing that went against the Purple.  Luckily I was not alive or cannot remember the 4 Super Bowl losses of 70's or that would be up there...Brent maybe you could recollect those :-*
« Last Edit: December 29, 2003, 09:55 PM by OCB »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 29, 2003, 11:27 PM »
Farging Bastage :-*

But sadly, yeah, I do (vaguely) remember the games.  That was probably in my peak sporting hysteria, as a kid.  My teams of the time were (and still are) the Celtics, Twins and Vikings from the US side of things.  Had the T'wolves been around, the proximity thing would have sealed that.  For some reason though, the Lakers have always repulsed me :-*  Mikan was cool though.  

Anyhoo, I can't provide you with any details other than that it was extremely painful for myself and my dad (also a Vikings fan) to watch.  

My only relief is that I am not a Bills fan, though I am eternally greatful to them.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 31, 2003, 11:34 AM »
GO BRONCOS!  We should beat the Colts again this weekend and then we'll play the Patriots.  That would be a tough one but I think with a healthy Portis we can do it!!!  BRONCOS!
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 4, 2004, 09:44 AM »
OUCH.

I expected more from the Cowboy Defense last night. I got about what I expected from the Quarterback and Falldown back.

I'm not sure what is worse, losing the first round or not having a first round to play in at all. Perhaps the Viking fans can tell us what it was like not to have a team to watch this weekend, or the Bucs fans, Dolphin Fans or Raider Fans(well I guess that would be what its like to not have a team to watch all season)

Dallas needs either a good smart Quarterback OR a new group of receivers that can catch balls that are thrown above and behind them EVERY time.

I assume with my luck that the Colts and Packers will win today, since that will be who I am rooting against.  

Fettish Sez Thanks

« Reply #277 on: January 4, 2004, 05:00 PM »
Looks like someone needs to buy Hasselbald a muzzle, and an ego check. Jinxer.  :P

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 4, 2004, 06:20 PM »
yeah, looks like he was just a tad too overconfident... but in reality, i can't blame him. he played a great game. now, if only we had a receiver that could, uhm... maybe - just maybe - catch a ball now and then? 8 dropped passes. 8. that's ridiculous. in high school, if we dropped 8 passes in a game we would be doing laps all week. and this is supposed to be professional level?

the way i look at it, the packers didn't beat the seahawks today, the seahawks beat the seahawks. with those kind of assinine players dropping all those passes, and play calling - screen pass on 3rd and 28 from your own 13 yard line? wtf?

in the end, they lost, and there's nothing you can do about it. but at least they didn't get blown out like the cowboys did, and like the broncos are getting now.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #279 on: January 5, 2004, 12:44 AM »
I am so glad the Broncos got smoked today.  That whole resting people to stay fresh for the playoffs is absolute BS and it bit the Broncos and Shanahan in the behind.  If they would have actually tried last week it might have been Minnesota going to Philly instead of the Cheese.  I'll have to check my bracket tomorrow to see how I did but I believe I went 4 for 4 this weekend

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 5, 2004, 02:35 PM »
Damn the Broncos looked horrible!  I think you are right OCB on the whole resting of the guys...they looked rusty and not sharp at all.  Oh well, next year, there is always next year.  Plummer was decent but injury prone, Portis is a stud, D is OK, we should be back.  We'll miss sharpe though if he retires
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 7, 2004, 09:18 AM »
Joe Gibbs returns to the Redskins

I'm not a Redskins fan by any stretch of the imagination, but this is huge news and one that came out of left field.  I guess he wants to prove he can still get it done like Vermeil and Parcells.  I hope he can co-exist with that douche bag Synder.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #282 on: January 8, 2004, 12:46 AM »
So far, I'm 4 for 4 in getting my desired outcomes in the playoffs.  Especially excited that Beth, err (damn you Brent and Scott!)... Brett and the Pack are moving on!  That was an amazing game!

Condolences Dave...

But I'll finally have one of my two teams in action this weekend - the Rams, so the fun's really going to start! (hopefully)  They better play well, since my other team just went 4-12, one season after being in the Super Bowl.  Damned idiots.   >:(  At least Callahan finally got canned...  I'm a little pissed that Denny Green, who was strongly rumored to be next up for the Silver and Black, whimped out (or was just smart) and went to the Cardinals today instead.   ::)

Regardless, it's gonna be another great weekend of football...  Go Rams, Titans, Colts, and Pack!   8)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #283 on: January 8, 2004, 12:49 AM »
I went 4 for 4 in the Office Pool too, I have Pats and Chiefs, Rams and Eagles this week, looks like 8 for 8

I hope to high hell the Pack get slaughtered.  And I also hope the Jamacians call the Packers Defense and say that they aren't going to allow them to use that hairstyle anymore ::)

I'm also wondering how Beth can play a whole year with a broken thumb...hmmm

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 8, 2004, 07:06 AM »
I went 4 for 4 in the Office Pool too, I have Pats and Chiefs, Rams and Eagles this week, looks like 8 for 8

I hope to high hell the Pack get slaughtered.  And I also hope the Jamacians call the Packers Defense and say that they aren't going to allow them to use that hairstyle anymore ::)

My picks this weekend are the same as yours, Scott - although I would love to see the Rams lose.  The Colts, I think, used all their energy last week against the Broncos.  One things for sure in that game though - it will be a shootout.  The Pats-Titans game will be the game of the weekend, I believe.  Low scoring, defensive battle, close game.  I would have hoped for snow, ala the "tuck" game versus the Raiders, but its too damn cold (single digits and below) starting today and not letting up until at least Sunday.  I too hope for a blowout win for the Eagles, but a win will do just fine.

As for the dreads, didn't the league recently say that they're part of the uniform and can be used to tackle?  That's why Ricky Williams cut his shorter.  If enough players get their hair ripped out, then maybe they'll cut their hair themselves.  I hate to see it become mandatory as enough people already complain this is the "No Fun League"  ::)
Common sense isn't so common