Author Topic: New JD Review: Wookiee Warrior (Sneak Preview)  (Read 3877 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
New JD Review: Wookiee Warrior (Sneak Preview)
« on: June 12, 2005, 03:40 AM »
Wookiee's aren't a HUGE part of ROTS, but they're a popular part of it I think...  So to me, an obvious choice for the Preview Wave would be a Wookiee Warrior to get the masses pumped.  Weird aliens, the token villain...  These make good preview figures to inspire that "hey, that looks neat, maybe I gotta check the movie out" kinda response.

The fuzzball I speak of is of course the Preview Wookiee WarriorClick Right Here to read the whole review on him.  Of course, share your thoughts too.

I mean, seeing something OTHER than Chewbacca in the Wookiee form is a plus in and of itself...  Yarua was a nice figure for what it was, but the Wookiee Warrior has only one superior walking carpet right now (VOTC Chewbacca), and it's a figure that only the craziest articulation would've topped.  This Wookiee Warrior just rocks the party though...

He's sporting lots of articulation, a great sculpt, nice accessories, he's pretty neutral, he's pretty fun to look at and play with...  He should be incredibly popular with collectors and kids alike.

So check that review out and enjoy...  Ultimately I loved this figure.  He's one I've got a nice little army of, and I'd take probably another 15 of him if I could find them.  They're drying up quickly for my area though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: New JD Review: Wookiee Warrior (Sneak Preview)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 01:15 PM »
Some great stuff here, Jesse.  It's great to hear Hasbro really hit the ball out of the park on this one with respect to the great articulation for an army-builder like a wookiee.

I'm not often a big fan of the angle-cut elbow joints, they usually seem to create some ackward poses to me.  However, in this case, this type of joint is perfect for the "Wookiee Rage" pose that is really quite symbolic of the ROTS wookiees.

Like you mentioned, the paint apps that create some huge contrast between light and dark fur when using different poses is a bit of a distraction.  But I can live with it because I'd prefer it that way over a stale one-shaded paint app.

Offline TT8L

• Youngling
  • subtle hint...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 01:17 AM »
I absolutely love this figure and it was finally picking this up that made me regret passing up the preview figures. I bought Tion Medon, and R4-G9 recently and I am in awe of these figures. R4 is my quintessential astromech frame. The dome is obviously an R2 and the body is the same or similar to best sculpt out there.... the customizing possibilities are endless despite what is, in my opinion, a lackluster "character" and paint app.

The wookie is similarly endowed with customizing potential and he has one up on all of the other wookies in that he has a great sculpt and no detail sculpted on so you can have a vanilla wookie or you can add all of the accesories you want. I wasn't fond of the basic line wookie warior but the sneak preview wookie is great if not a little thick... I wish the wookie warior's parts would interchange with the sneak preview wookie.

Offline TT8L

• Youngling
  • subtle hint...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 01:19 AM »
Also, I know it's not about the wookie, but there is a great snippit about why R4 is improperly designated here

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2005, 12:11 AM »
Thanks guys...

The Wookiee Preview is probably one of my favorite figures in the modern line.  I'm still a little miffed at the "scale".  That to me is more an issue than anything.  I too accept the paintjob because I think it looks fine enough...  I just know it's a major gripe among collectors. 

The Preview Wook is so vastly superior to the basic line figure though...  It's amazing these two are from the same company really.  The Preview figure is almost perfect quality while the ROTS basic one looks like a give-away promo figure in a happy meal.  :(

I have 15 Previews, and I'd take another 10 - 15 like I've said...  I'd love some paint/head variants downt he road, though an all-new "in-between" scaled one, but done exactly the same as far as articulation and whatnot, that would win me over bigtime.  Sculpt him a little different, but not dramatically...  No features, just articulate him greatly...  And of coures paint variations.

I'd take a lot of that figure if done right!

It's funny how, without even a really broad fan-base beyond us hardcore people, that the Preview Wookiee seemingly has outsold ( substantially) the ROTS basic Wookiee.  That to me is pretty solid proof that quality wins out...  It's a noticeably MORE popular figure, and many found it at even a higher price point, and it still seems to have outsold the crappy basic Wookiee.  That's pretty telling if you ask me.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 12:13 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Commander JediSearch

• Jedi Initiate
  • Do what must be done... I support Order 66
    • View Profile
    • The Archive
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 10:29 PM »
Another great review Jesse!  At the risk of being flamed, I'm going to admit that for some reason, I never got on the Wookie bandwagon.  I just haven't been too excited about the wookies and this figure was my least favorite of the sneak preview figures.  Don't get me wrong, Wookies are cool, and I did enjoy the brief scene of Kashyyyk.  I just haven't been impressed with the Wookies of ROTS.  The wookie accessories look a little goofy to me, and no matter how hard I try, I just can't get excited about them.   :-\
Stephen - Louisville, KY
Sandtroopers | KSWCC | My Collection

Offline TT8L

• Youngling
  • subtle hint...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 12:42 AM »
Goofy accesories?

I can understand if you do not like the paint app., but if you have any inclination to customize these accesories are gorgeous. I only regret having to buy the basic wookie for its accesories to compliment my sneak preview wookie. Also, if you are a MOC collector it could be part of the problem... open up this big (perhaps, too big) boy and maybe you'll have a change of heart  ;D

Could be a simple difference of opinion though, in which case I can relate.... there are plenty of figures that everyone loves that I am not too interested in.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 12:49 AM »
That's more an issue with the character in the film than the figure too...  The figure's rifle is spot-on to what the props looked like (I got to see the exact rifle at C3 if I'm not mistaken?  The Prequal stuff was so overshadowed by the classic props that I forget, haha).  It's actually, as accessories for figures go, incredibly well made...  Nice paint ap, great sculpt, very detailed...  Same with the helmet and whatnot.

He should've had a bowcaster however, as it seemingly is a more common weapon in the film while this heavy rifle of sorts appeared to be maybe like a U.S. BAR in that it was maybe "1 per squad" kinda dealie.

Offline Commander JediSearch

• Jedi Initiate
  • Do what must be done... I support Order 66
    • View Profile
    • The Archive
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 10:08 AM »
Yeah, it's pretty much a difference of opinion with George Lucas really.  :-\

I have am a MOC/Loose hybrid collector.  The Wookie weapons and other accessories were just too ornate and goofy looking compared to what I imagined.  I'm just not crazy about them.  I know a lot of people really liked them, and that's cool with me.  They can have their wookies, just give me more clones.   ;D
Stephen - Louisville, KY
Sandtroopers | KSWCC | My Collection