Author Topic: Child prodigy kills himself  (Read 1405 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Child prodigy kills himself
« on: March 19, 2005, 07:39 PM »
Damn.

14 years old. And he blows his own head off.

Say what you will about an IQ of 178, but smart people don't die with guns in their mouths.

Maybe the fact that he was a prodigy is what made him do it. Maybe he was lonely and isolated, since it looks like he never stayed around the same classmates for very long. He probably just couldn't be a kid.

:'(
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Child prodigy kills himself
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 11:27 PM »
I'd say you're exactly right.  Perhaps he was physically and even intellectually prepared for his quick growth, but emotionally it tore him apart.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 05:27 PM »
That's a profoundly sad story. The article doesn't seem to say that he was showing any indications of being isolated. Surely, he could have been hiding them, but for such a talented kid it would have been great if he could see that the world would be a better place with him in it.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 10:59 PM »
I sure would like to know what he was thinking and if he took his life looking for something more. It would have been great to know him and to know if he killed himself out of your average depression or if he was wise for his age and had some other purpose. Perhaps he shouldn't be saved, who knows. Still a sad thing.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 06:06 AM by Chris »

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 05:44 PM »
I know this thread is a couple days old but that really sucks. This kid went to my school, Colorado State University. I didn't know him or anything but it was big news around here. It has been a bad year for CO universities this year. There was Samantha Spady (CSU) dying of Alcohol poisoning early this year, then some kid died in the CSU rec center pool over Thanksgiving, some other kid died from alcohol at CU, a CSU student died while car surffing, and then there's the whole Gary Barnett and Ward Churchill thing going right now (I'm not sure how well that is known nationally.) It is kinda depressing. The kid was supposedly really depressed and because he was so young he didn't have very many friends up here. It is really too bad.
"This is the way."