Author Topic: VoIP Anyone?  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
VoIP Anyone?
« on: March 20, 2005, 04:42 PM »
I'm looking into purchasing VoIP service as opposed to my normal telephone line. Does anyone have any experience with this or any comments?

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: VoIP Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 12:30 PM »
So, over two years later, I'm now considering the same thing. AT&T (bloodsuckers) has been shafting me nearly $80 per month lately, so the $45 flat monthly rate for Comcast Digital Voice is extremely appealing. Anyone have any experience with this?

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 04:24 PM »
I've been using Earthlink VoIP for the last 8 months.  The first couple of months were pretty rough because my internet connection kept going out and thus the phone would not work.  However, once I had them run a new cable line from the box outside to my house, I haven't had a problem since.

One thing to keep in mind, if you have a security system on your house, some VoIP providers are not compatible with Brinks Home Security.  I've had some issues with Earthink and Brinks that they are working through now.

Good luck!
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 04:32 PM »
Both my Sister's family and my Mom and Dad have VoIP services and they like it.  My sister has Vonage and it does cut out once in a while.

I am Sith does point out something important, I don't know of any security systems that don't require a "normal" phone line.  We have a regular phone into our house and I just use my cell phone for long distance calls.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 05:54 PM »
Why not just dump the land line entirely and just use your cell phone all the time?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 09:01 PM »
Why not just dump the land line entirely and just use your cell phone all the time?

We tried that for a while at our last house and the problem was that the cell phone reception in that area was terrible, so anytime we wanted to talk to anyone, the calls would cut out.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 09:58 PM »

My house has an alarm system which requires a land line, plus I do like using the normal phone for local calls.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 11:55 AM »
So, is there any compatibility issues if you still have a dial-up Internet connection and TiVo (which both require a telephone connection)? I mean, doesn't VoIP still use a regular phone jack for the phone to connect to the digital cable? I would assume that it would be the same for the TiVo connection and computer (for dial-up).

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 01:35 PM »
I thought you needed a high-speed internet connection for VoIP so that would make having a dial-up connection impossible.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 01:44 PM »
So, is there any compatibility issues if you still have a dial-up Internet connection and TiVo (which both require a telephone connection)? I mean, doesn't VoIP still use a regular phone jack for the phone to connect to the digital cable? I would assume that it would be the same for the TiVo connection and computer (for dial-up).

You need a high speed internet connection to support the call.