Author Topic: Do You Have Pets?  (Read 101336 times)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Have Pets?
« Reply #225 on: October 19, 2010, 11:15 AM »
3 rats: IG88, Lenny and Carl (all young males so I should have a year or so before health issues)
2 cats: Howie and Scamper (18 years old)

The rats chase the cats
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 19, 2010, 12:38 PM »
3 rats: IG88, Lenny and Carl (all young males so I should have a year or so before health issues)
2 cats: Howie and Scamper (18 years old)

The rats chase the cats

That's just wrong.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Rob L

• Jedi Initiate
  • Timelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 22, 2010, 12:31 PM »
I used to have rats, they're amazing pets. Now I've got 2 Standard Poodles called Viggo (5) and Amy (8 months)
Palitoy...it ain't yellow :)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #228 on: November 4, 2011, 12:21 AM »
Yesterday, we had to let our old boy Baker go.  He was old for an Alaskan Malamute (12 and a half years) but was always so playful and fun.  He was a true pack leader...we would take him to the dog park, and all the other dogs would follow him around, truly an amazing sight to see!

The past couple of days he could not make it up the stairs (he's had arthritis for a while but he could still get around), and then he just stopped eating.  Yesterday afternoon, you could just see him fading away, so we made the tough decision to take him to the vet and end his suffering.

I'm going to miss him.
« Last Edit: November 4, 2011, 06:37 PM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 4, 2011, 08:10 AM »
Sorry to hear.  Its amazing how attached you can get.  I had my one cat (Loomis) for 16 years before I had to put him to sleep.

cb
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 4, 2011, 10:22 AM »
Sorry to hear that Matt.   :-[

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 4, 2011, 12:00 PM »
Sorry to hear that.  Sucks when you loose a "member" of the family.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #232 on: November 5, 2011, 09:53 AM »
I have a dog named Chewie.
Is it wrong that my wife's (last) name is Hahn?
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #233 on: November 6, 2011, 12:18 PM »
Yesterday, we had to let our old boy Baker go.  He was old for an Alaskan Malamute (12 and a half years) but was always so playful and fun.  He was a true pack leader...we would take him to the dog park, and all the other dogs would follow him around, truly an amazing sight to see!

The past couple of days he could not make it up the stairs (he's had arthritis for a while but he could still get around), and then he just stopped eating.  Yesterday afternoon, you could just see him fading away, so we made the tough decision to take him to the vet and end his suffering.

I'm going to miss him.

I'm really sorry to hear that Matt. He was a great dog, I'll miss him too.
"This is the way."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 8, 2011, 02:14 PM »
I made this to post on Reddit... but thought it was worth a share here too.   This happened a few years ago, so I may have already posted it...

« Last Edit: December 8, 2011, 02:22 PM by Rob »

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 8, 2011, 02:16 PM »
Love the look on the bottom right dog's face. EXCELLENT!!!
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #236 on: December 13, 2011, 09:24 PM »
So this isn't my pet, per se, but rather a story about my neighbor's pet.  I just thought this was a nice and maybe sorta positive "holiday" story kind of thing.

Anyway, so my neighbors have lived next to my family's property for years, since I was maybe 7 actually, so I've known them for a long time.  They have two cats, one of which they'd let roam during the day and the other one kept inside.  Don't ask why one roamed and one didn't...  I have no clue.

Anyway, the roamer was Eddie...  Eddie was pretty cool.  Dark brown and tan striping.  Pretty neat.  A long thick tail (short haired but his tail was like a giang pipe cleaner).  He was kind of bad but he'd come over and have some cat nip (grow my own) and he'd just hang out.  He'd bite if you didn't watch him but he was ok.

Anyway, one day, mid-June this year, he didn't come home when they called him...  On rare occassion, he wouldn't come home and would get locked out for the night, but it didn't happen often and he was always there next day.  Not this time though.

This time, he didn't come home the next day... or the next.  Or the next week, or the next month, and so on.

We assumed the worst ultimately...  My road's bad, there are neighbors around who will kill cats on sight, and if it's not those two man-made things, it's coyotes/other predators that will get the cats that roam.  For that reason I don't let any of mine roam anywhere but different strokes for different folks I guess.

Anyway, it sort of upset me that Eddie was gone...  They'd gotten him when I got Chaos and Tarkin (my oldest 2 cats) pretty much, and so the three grew up together when I'd tether mine out on the clothes line, and I was just used to Eddie and giving him some nip and stuff, watching him come trotting down the property line, or running out of the woods like a maniac.  He was a cool cat and I was bummed.

Well, flash forward about 6 months to this week...  My neighbor's son is home from France where he lives with his family, and they're walking up on the porch with his stuff after picking him up from the airport.  They see a cat on their backporch...  And upon closer inspection.  It's Eddie.

Yes.  Eddie was gone for 6 months somewhere, and then came home.

Which is great of course.  I've had a ******, well, year really, haha.  But this was a nice thing to brighten my year a little bit and right at the holidays.  :)  He's not my cat, but he's a cat I cared about, and he didn't deserve to die alone somewhere without his people to care for him.

But now...

Where has he been for 6 months?

Does he now Summer in Florida and only come back to visit relatives at the holidays?

Did he go on a roadtrip to White Castle?

Did he join Occupy Wall St.?

Was he performing covert ops overseas?

Was he part of SEAL Team Six?

Was he performing vigilante Dog Beatings?

Was he moderating debates?

If I could attach a camera to him, I'd really like to see where he went.

Personally, I'm theorizing he was picked up by someone local who thought he was a stray, and kept him.  He's pretty friendly (till he decides he's had enough), so he'd be easily caught and brought in.  Trapped easily with cat food too.  He apparantly doesn't look unhealthy or anything.

From what I've heard though, he's not wild about going out now, and when he is out he only wants to be near them and not wander the property line or go up into the woods and stuff. 

Still...  It's a nice thing to have him back.  I just hope he's not breaking the heart of another family that feel they've lost him at the holidays.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 14, 2012, 01:25 PM »
Pain in the butt week. Two Mondays ago our one rat had a tumor removed in his leg. But it was wrapped around his nerve so he lost some use of the foot. He must have caught it on something because he started bleeding bad. We have him in a wrap and it's getting better/not bleeding quite as often, but now that it's healed some it looks like the bone is sticking out of his toe. Brought him to the vet yesterday and they took x rays. the last two bone is his one toe are gone. We and the vet are concerned he'll keep walking weird on it and ripping it open so we think we are going to have his leg removed. Pain in the butt.

We do have the best vet ever though. We've loved her ever since we started bringing our animals there.
$50 to verify tumor (office visit price)
About $500 to have tumor removed and sent in for analysis.
$0 for trip to vet hour and a half after they closed to look at bleeding. Vet tech was there, he left whenever they left, went home and made a leather booty for our rat.
$40 next morning but that was for needles and IV to give rat at home from.
$0 for visit yesterday to look at bone sticking out and x rays.
And $0 for the leg removal if we do it. She's just doing it as a part of the tumor surgery since it didn't work out as we had hoped.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 01:29 PM by GrandMoffNick »

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 14, 2012, 10:12 PM »
Dude, sorry to hear about that.

So my dog has a habit of jumping the fence if she doesn't get to come back in the house when SHE wants to. I look out back to see where she is and there is nothing in sight. I head out the garage door to get in the Jeep and go find her.

She offered to drive.

Apparently getting in is easier than getting out.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:16 AM by Chris M »
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 15, 2012, 08:33 AM »
That's pretty funny.