Author Topic: Do You Have Pets?  (Read 101317 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Do You Have Pets?
« Reply #330 on: June 14, 2016, 01:52 PM »
I might be going through exactly the same thing you are Rob.  We took Cora in for emergency exploratory surgery today because an x-ray showed a mass on her spleen.  If it's benign, they'll remove the spleen and she'll live for a long while.  If it's malignant, they give her 1 - 3 months, and if it's spread to other organs they will euthanize her on the operating table today.

I may have said goodbye to my dog for the last time this morning.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 14, 2016, 01:57 PM »
Sorry to hear that Matt, I really hope it's benign and you get some good news.  Let us know what happens.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 14, 2016, 02:44 PM »
So sorry to hear about your loss Rob, and we'll keep you in our prayers as well Matt. We lost our dog of fourteen and a half years, two years ago this summer, and it is still difficult. We had a cancer situation as well, which makes it tough when you are considering their quality of life and everything. Thinking of both of you.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 14, 2016, 05:48 PM »
Very sorry to hear about Emerson, Rob.  Things like this are never easy because our pets are part of our families.  They're there for us all the time, from the time we wake until we go to sleep at night.  And they even watch out for us when we sleep.  And because of that we need to give them our time as we grieve their passing.   So give them your time. 

Sorry to hear about your dog, too, Matt.  I hope she's okay.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 06:01 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #334 on: June 14, 2016, 09:02 PM »
Sorry too Matt...  Geeze. :(  Love animals and again, know how hard this is.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 14, 2016, 11:56 PM »
Awful news, Rob and Matt, and I'm sorry to hear it. I feel like you made the best choice though, Rob, since it sounds like her last few months were rough.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 15, 2016, 01:18 AM »
Turns out I was cancer in her intestines and spleen.  At least we were there to say goodbye.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 01:25 AM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #337 on: June 15, 2016, 01:30 AM »
I'm real sorry man.  You give em the best life you can as long as you can. :(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 15, 2016, 11:23 AM »
Damn.  I was really hoping to pop in here and read better news.  I can't tell you how sorry I am to hear it Matt.   :-[

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 15, 2016, 02:57 PM »
Sorry to hear about your loss, Matt.  :'(

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 17, 2016, 11:21 PM »
Rob, I can't tell you how so sorry I am. I cannot imagine how hard it was having to go through that twice in such a short time period. Matt - was really hoping for better news. So sorry about Cora.
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 21, 2016, 09:02 PM »
We lost our 13 year old pug Trixie on Friday.  :'(

She would have been 14 in October, was still going strong, albeit less active the past few years. It happened while we were on vacation with the whole family too. Huge bummer, but still the same time thankful she was with us and not locked up in a kennel several hundred miles away.

The kids were really sad at first but seem to have bounced back quickly, bless 'em. The wife and I are still pretty broken up about it though, we got her shortly after we moved in together and she was there for our wedding, two daughters, and survived two major surgeries along the way, including the emergency removal of her gallbladder. (We are still paying for that one)

Happy we got to enjoy her for as long as we did, trying to focus on that and not the end. Also helps we still have another dog Howie we rescued a couple of years back who is still going strong.

But yeah, most upset I've ever been over losing a pet. Just a fixture in our lives suddenly gone...

RIP girl.  :(
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 17, 2017, 01:14 AM »
We had to say goodbye to our family dog Duke this past weekend. He was 13, and we were hoping to make it to his 14th birthday in May, or even better, the 14th anniversary of his adoption on July 3rd. But it wasn't meant to be.

He had developed hip problems over the last 2-3 years but he powered through them like a champ. His health really started to decline in late October, as he developed a growth on his back and went blind in his right eye. He was also yelping in pain from time to time, a very uncharacteristic trait. My mom took him to the vet, but the vet just wanted money for X-rays and other unnecessary junk. Around Thanksgiving the growth got bigger, and infected, so my mom took him to a different vet who immediately cut the growth out and confirmed it was cancerous. She gave us some pain pills and Duke was able to have one last Christmas and New Years celebration with the whole family, plus had a gnarly scar to show off. But over the last week he started getting even worse, wandering around, bumping into furniture, unable to be alone. More growths were popping up. Saturday morning he went out in the backyard and collapsed, and my parents made the call to put him to sleep. It was hard to see him those last 3 months, but he powered through it like a trooper, and his pain is finally gone.

He lived a damn good life for a dog... my mom walked him every single morning for about a decade, until he couldn't handle long walks anymore. Plus I walked him every afternoon in high school and when I was home from college, and when I would house sit later on. He had my grandpa's farm to run around on, with a tank to swim in. Plenty of squirrels and rabbits to chase, and he always got the leftover rib bones when we had BBQ.

Here are some pics of Duke on his 13th adoption anniversary last July, and my favorite pic of the two of us circa 2008, the only picture I was able to ever get of him looking directly into the camera.

I like to think he's found some of the other pets from this thread in Doggie Heaven and they're having discussions on their owners' Star Wars collections. :)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 17, 2017, 01:33 AM »
So sorry to hear about Duke.  It's never easy to let them go even when you know it's the right decision.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 17, 2017, 11:31 AM »
Sorry to hear it.  I learned how awful this stuff is last year.   :-\