Author Topic: 2005 DVD Thread  (Read 70958 times)

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
Re: 2005 DVD Thread
« Reply #315 on: October 27, 2005, 04:21 PM »
Given I've used the term "entreprenuer" in the past, and the history of people and their hang-up's with me, it was knee-jerk. I haven't got anything to hide, thus providing a link to past auctions.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 27, 2005, 04:41 PM »
I was thinking the exact thing.  I've read that post three times and can't find Cinema's name mentioned anywhere.  . . .
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 27, 2005, 05:06 PM »
I like the smiley face guy beating up the horse.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #318 on: October 28, 2005, 03:24 AM »
Next week's prices for Revenge of the Sith are starting to leak out:

Best Buy:  $??.?? ($14.99) with exclusive Darth Vader lithograph for Reward Zone members

Circuit:  $??.?? ($14.99)

Suncoast:  Price unknown, but with exclusive patch

Target:  $??.?? ($14.99) with exclusive Darth Vader coin

Wal-Mart:  $??.??, with exclusive bonus disc  (Wal-Mart's prices are all over the place, nationwide, so there's really no telling what your local store will be selling it for.  I would guess that most stores will be selling the version without the disc for around $15 or so, to be competitive with other stores.  But the version with the bonus-disc pack-in is a whole 'nother story.  I would assume that those will be selling for about $5 more than the regular copies.  But ultimately, the only way to know for sure is to go to your local store and run them under the price-scanner.  Either way, if you want the widescreen version and the bonus disc, I'd hit up your Wal-Mart as soon as possible, because who knows how many copies they'll get, and the widescreen w/bonus disc sets are sure to go fast, and first. . .)

---

(The $14.99s are best guesses, based on the rest of the ads, which can be found here.)
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #319 on: October 28, 2005, 04:04 AM »
Target:  $??.?? ($14.99) with exclusive Darth Vader coin

Target will also apparently be getting an exclusive, two-disc CD package, featuring the "best music of the entire Saga," for $14.99. 

No word yet on the track-listing.

I was thinking about making my own two-disc set, with the first disc being Prequel music, and original music on the second.  If this set is done that way, I'll probably pick that up instead.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 28, 2005, 12:08 PM »
The BB RZ litho is really silly looking, IMO. I'm going to fork over the extra $5 and get the DVD. If you're really dedicated, you can can get both deals, and sell off one of your copies of the DVD.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #321 on: October 28, 2005, 01:49 PM »
Or you could just--I don't know--give the extra one away as a Hanukkah present or something.  That's what I'd do, if I knew any Jewish Star Wars fans.

But I don't, so that won't be happening.  But it won't be happening anyway, because that lithograph holds no appeal to me.  Nor do any other lithographs, really.  I just think they're all kind of dumb.  Don't get me wrong--if there were no other "freebies" at any other retailers, I'd take the litho.  But I wouldn't do anything with it, other than throw it in with the rest of the Star Wars junk I've accumulated over the past fifteen years.

Wal-Mart gets my business next week. 

I'm a sucker.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 28, 2005, 03:10 PM »
I know most of you hard core DVD fans might already use this site, but it's a great tool for finding the best prices on the net:

www.dvdpricesearch.com

And no, I'm not affiliated with the site, just been using it for the past ten or so years.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 28, 2005, 04:24 PM »
have there even been dvd's for 10 years?  Or were they a VHS site before?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #324 on: October 28, 2005, 04:30 PM »
have there even been dvd's for 10 years?  Or were they a VHS site before?

It must have been a bit of exaggeration...

http://www.dvdpricesearch.com/cgi-bin/dvdhtml2

"Hence, the birth of DVD Price Search in September of 1998."

On another note, I did pick up the Alias Season 4 set last night.  Mmmm.... Agent Sydney Bristow.   ;D

And, on yet a third note, I'll be hitting Wal-Mart for my RotS disc.  The Free DVD seems to be the best deal for me (coin & litho = bah!).

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 28, 2005, 04:32 PM »
OK, so I was off by a couple years, but I believe the first DVD player hit the market in 1996.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 28, 2005, 04:34 PM »

And, on yet a third note, I'll be hitting Wal-Mart for my RotS disc. The Free DVD seems to be the best deal for me (coin & litho = bah!).

Jeff - don't forget, the WM DVD isn't free - I think it's $21 something for the bonus disc.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 04:36 PM by ruiner »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #327 on: October 28, 2005, 04:44 PM »
Jeff - don't forget, the WM DVD isn't free - I think it's $21 something for the bonus disc.

There was a poster in the entry way of my local Wal-Mart earlier this week advertising the bonus disc.

The poster made it sound like the disc would be FREE with purchase if you were there on November 1st.  Don't know if it's a local promo or national.  I can never tell with Wal-Mart since it really seems to vary region by region on things like DVDs.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 28, 2005, 05:10 PM »
That's true, their pricing is not national - one will sell Batman Begins for $15 while the other will it for $20.

All I know is what I found on their site:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=4127388

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4242488

And usually their site reflects their "sale price" stores.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #329 on: October 28, 2005, 05:40 PM »
Re: Begins Deluxe

I'm guessing we'll see this Deluxe set again, maybe without the comic though

Just got off the phone with Best Buy Buddy, who told me that they just got in a bunch of *new* Deluxe versions sans the mini-comic (and the cardboard casing which the whole set came in).  Now it's just in a regular two-disc keepcase. 

So, if you're wanting the Deluxe edition, but don't care about the comic, you might start checking your local stores. . .