Author Topic: A possible unforseen problem.  (Read 1982 times)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
A possible unforseen problem.
« on: March 24, 2005, 06:19 PM »
12:01 am April 2, 2005 is when the figures are supposed to be able to sell, but do they manually have to be activated for purchase in the PC? I can see this holding up tons of collectors when they go to the stores. Or is there some giant satalite wave that activates them for purchase?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: A possible unforseen problem.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 06:34 PM »
They should all be well prepared for this, as I never had a problem with the midnight madness in 1999 or 2002. 

Knowing my luck though, this will happen!    :-\

:P

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 06:46 PM »
They should all be well prepared for this, as I never had a problem with the midnight madness in 1999 or 2002. 

Knowing my luck though, this will happen!    :-\

:P

The reason I bring it up is because of all the trouble everyone was having with being able to buy them, then not buy them, then find them, get assistance, etc etc. It makes me worry.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 10:19 PM »
I would think that there is some kind of system indicator that will allow the items to be sold at retail after midnight.  I've been to "Midnight Madness" at WM for both TPM and AOTC, and it's actually run like clockwork at each.  I was in a 24-hour SWM one night around 12:05 AM for something completely unrelated, and one of the clerks said that they would have to wait until 12:10 for the computer to reset.  Apparently (at least at this WM) the WM central computer resets around midnight for the "fiscal day" and I think that this same kind of approach will probably apply to the ROTS toys.

I had typed a rather long rant on how WM is exhibiting a tendency to view the SW toy section with spite, but it wasn't relevant to this thread, so I deleted it.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that WM's HAL-9000 unit that controls the chain will have everything working wonderfully at midnight and there will be no problems whatsoever.  Just be sure when you discuss this with your friends, you realize that the WM security cameras in the parking lot can read lips.  ;D

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 02:39 PM »
I remember working at Target back in 1999 when the TPM stuff went on sale.  Some of the toys, like the Maul Speeder and the 12 inchers, didn't ring up because somebody didn't have them entered in.  I had a walkie talkie and was able to radio the prices up to the head cashier when she called.  Hopefully stores are ready this time around and things go on without snafus.