Author Topic: RotS - Collection 1 Figures  (Read 16693 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: RotS - Collection 1 Figures
« Reply #15 on: March 6, 2005, 03:46 PM »
Oh I liked the original Clone Pilot design a lot - but remember in the OT, most of the pilots have totally different outfits than the Stormtroopers, so I think an evolution in design only makes sense.   :)

:P

SilverZ

« Reply #16 on: March 6, 2005, 08:03 PM »
I sort of equate the AOTC Clone Pilots to TIE Pilots, so you're comparison of these to AT-AT drivers makes total sense. I like 'em! Good to see that some of the army builders from Collection 1 aren't suffering from action features, and they've put them on accessories instead.

My only complaint about the Clone Commander is that he looks a little over-designed to me. That's just a lot of junk hanging off of them. Not that it will stop me from buying several.  ;)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 6, 2005, 08:13 PM »
Yeah - the Clone Commander does look a bit overdone... almost like he has too much stuff and that would be a bit cumbersome in battle.   But, still looks cool, but I'll only get a few of him probably.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #18 on: March 6, 2005, 11:11 PM »
I love the new Clone Pilot.  I'll get a couple of him for sure.  I like the commander too, but unless he comes in different colors, I'll only get one.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 7, 2005, 08:30 AM »
Both of these figures look good to me, and I look forward to picking them up.  I actually really like the Clone Commander figure, but I do see the point of it looking a little bit "overdone" too.  Still, I really liked the "ARC Trooper" concept brought in by the Clone Wars series, and it is nice to see some incarnation of it brought to the big screen as well.  I like the pilot as well, has an OT-feel to it I think.  All of the clone/trooper figures for the ROTS line have looked pretty good so far.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 7, 2005, 08:36 AM »
I agree that the Clone Commander is over the top but I still love the look of it.  I like it better than the ARC trooper from Clone Wars.  Not that the ARC is crap.  Plus it may make up for those of us that did not find a RED ARC trooper when Clone Wars line was out. 

It looks like I will need to buy up 3 of those pilots since the ARC fighter REQUIRES 3 pilots.  Lucas ain't dumb. 

My wife is either going to laugh at all my purchasing this year or get really upset or both! 

SilverZ

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2005, 08:49 PM »
So, I cracked open ROTS Obi-Wan #1 today. Figure is pretty boring, and action features don't help its cause... but, it comes with a separate saber hilt in Ben's OT design. It looks really nice.

Then, it occurred to me, something can finally be corrected on an old figure because of it:

:)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 08:50 PM by Tydirium »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2005, 08:54 PM »
Nice.

Yeah, that's a sweet little saber they stuck in with the ROTS Obi.

But his ANH saber didn't have any gold on it from what I recall...  Did it?  I thought only Lukes ROTJ saber had the gold portion.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2005, 09:03 PM »
Wow, that is some amazing detail on the saber.  Jared, how well does it snap in place on young Obi-Wan?  Is it a nice snug fit, or am I going to lose it in a week? (yes, this means I'm going to buy carded and loose for the first time ever - not just carded :))

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2005, 11:32 PM »
For Brian

Looks like the paint is craptacular :-\

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2005, 11:34 PM »
I've noticed that the Wookie paintjobs are getting rather bad. Hasbro seems to have some obsession with trying to give them blonde highlights or something, but it comes out bad.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2005, 12:01 AM »
I've noticed that the Wookie paintjobs are getting rather bad. Hasbro seems to have some obsession with trying to give them blonde highlights or something, but it comes out bad.

Metrosexual wookies. 8)

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2005, 03:04 PM »
Having now seen many of the Collection 1 figures in person, I have to say I'm a bit more underwhelmed than at first.  Some I think I'll like ok enough, some though just plain out suck...  A lot even remind me of Episode 2 launch figures in overall quality.

Even the Clone is in this range to me sadly...  THough he looks much better than say, Anakin.  Some had loose wobbl arms in the packaging though (Mace) which is simply a bad sign to me.

Great Collection 2 figures.  But Collection 1, even with some effort to make them appeal to adults, is going to be a bit underwhelming I think...  A little more so than I'd hoped.

The Mace is so close to being a good figure though, it's irritating.   :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2005, 03:38 PM »
I've got a few Collection I figures now and opened them -

Obi Wan - not too shabby, could be better but so much better than the first AOTC versions

Anakin - same deal... he looks bitchin with his red lightsaber; I don't mind the lightsabers attached to his interchangeable right hands

Chewbacca - what a turd... could have been so much better, but at least I have a few of the VOTC version

Mace - not bad at all except for the shoulders... when he's holding the lightsaber with two hands he looks great

Emperor - outstanding, a huge upgrade from the SAGA version, and his hood is removable which is pleasing

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2005, 12:47 PM »
Just a couple of quick questions about the SBD you'd photographed for the archives, Jared.

1.  The way it looks in the photos, the SBD is basically the version from the Saga Deluxe Yoda set with a removable right arm and a retooled cannon arm from the Saga SBD.  Am I wrong in this assumption?  If I'm right, this is going to be saving me 6 bucks right off the top of things come 04/02.

2.  If it isn't the same sculpt as the Saga Deluxe version, does it have any additional articulation along the lines of the Saga SBD (as in the elbows and/or knees, specifically)? 

3.  Do these pants make my butt look big?  :D

Completely unrelated to the SBD, the poster makes it look as if the Droideka coming later this year is a repack of the craptacular Saga version from 2002 that warmed pegs around here for about six months after its release.  Great! ::)