Author Topic: fuzzy memories  (Read 1633 times)

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
fuzzy memories
« on: March 18, 2003, 06:48 PM »
Share some of your memories of your youth in reguards to the vintage line.

I remember looking at the sears and JC Penny catalogs at christmas time. Hell it was probably more like Thanksgiving and seeing the small ads for the new lineup. When I was a kid we didn't go shopping alot with our parents so it was a big deal to be able to see the the new things. I also remember getting a fig with a special offer and being in a rush to get as many POPs i could as fast as my allowance would allow so I didn't miss out on the "free" stuff.

Also how many of you had moms or grandmas that insisted on making new cloths for your 12" line.  Like Luke really needed a tab collar lesiure suit.

Some times I just remember those things and it always makes me laugh to myself. O to be a kid again
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: fuzzy memories
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2003, 10:31 PM »
Geez...  Joyful Vintage memories?  Where to start...?  I could talk about my youth and Vintage Star Wars for many, many pages here Sarge!  My childhood basically consisted of SW, baseball, and video games.  Hmm... let's see if I can list a few here:

• Gotta start with those beautiful 12-backs, since that's where it all began for me as a wide eyed 7 year old.  I remember being so jealous when my neighbor up the street was the first to get them.  Seemed like FOREVER 'til I had some of my own, though I'm sure it was probably just a matter of days.  Those 12-back cards are just absolutely ingrained into my mind - even that new figure smell as well.  I could stare at the card backs alone for hours.  So pretty!
  • Finding my Millenium Falcon stashed away in the garage in November, a good month before I was supposed to receive it for Christmas.  I pulled it out and stared at it for a good month whenever the coast was clear, unbeknownst to my parents.
  • The Death Star.  'Nuff said.  That think was just sick!  Best playset of all time!
  • Always looking anxiously forward to getting that Sears catalog and placing our order for whatever SW stuff was contained therein, including that certain blue "you-know-who" fella (never into the JCPenney one though)
  • My "goodie" box (shoe box), where I kept all of my Vintage stuff: loose cardbacks, Kenner catalogs, accessories, and other fun miscellaneous items.  That box's contents are still in the EXACT same configuration today as they were 25 years ago, with all the Topps stickers applied around all it's surfaces, and everything neatly organized within.  I was just as anal then, as I am now!
  • Cool mail-away figures of all new characters - Fett, Bossk, 4-LOM, Admiral Ackbar, Emperor, etc...
  • The vehicles and playsets - just so cool and fun to play with
  • The Kenner Micro Collection: still probably my all-time favorite sub-line.  I remember hiking several miles to my local Toy City (sometimes in the rain) just to see if there were any new sets for sale there.  I'd write in to Kenner with more ideas for this line all the time!
  • Then just years and years of more and more figures from ESB and ROTJ.  All those great aliens and droids, heroes and villains!  Jabba!
Well, that's probably enough to chew on for now.  Maybe I'll add some more in later...

Aahhhh, good times...   :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2003, 10:36 PM by JediMAC »

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2003, 02:00 AM »
There are just way too many to post here, but there's one that will always stick in my mind for the rest of my life.  When I was a child my family and I had a dog name Missy (part poodle & part schnouser).  I would always use her as an AT-AT, because I never had one as a child.  I would put either my AT-AT Driver or Boba Fett (don't ask me why about him) under her collar, and she'd walk around with a figure sitting on her back.  She was that AT-AT I never had.  Well, she's been gone for a very long time but I still miss her to the day.

:'(
dustrho

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2003, 02:49 AM »
That's classic Chris!  An AT-AT dog!  Great story that your dog will forever line on through...   :)