Author Topic: April/2005 - Your Plan of Action  (Read 6451 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
April/2005 - Your Plan of Action
« on: February 22, 2005, 12:15 PM »
After seeing the pics, information, and comments of what has been shown at Toy Fair (and around the web the past few weeks/months), are you starting to get an idea of what you will be (or would like to) picking up this year?  Although we still have some figures/toys yet to be seen, and hopefully some surprises, now that we have some official information (and prices), I've been trying to piece together what I'm hoping to pick up.

Basic Action Figures - $5.99
Most likely I'll be picking up the majority of this line, although I'm not a completist.  Collection 2 figures have all looked great, and I will likely buy those in their entirety.  Collection 1 figures I might be more selective with, although I will pick up all wookiees and clones, and then the "best" versions of the main characters.

Deluxe Action Figures - $9.99
Not sure about this yet, but I think I will probably get the "Anakin to Vader" deluxe figure.  Undecided on the Emperor, but I think I might get that one as well.  Passing on that leaping Obi-Wan thing though.

Battle Arenas - $19.99
These didn't turn out nearly as cool as I first thought, and I think I will likely be passing on these as well.  If they look better in person, I might reconsider, but now...at that price...I think I'll pass.

12" Figures - $19.99-$49.99
I'm not much of a 12" figure collector, so likely passing here as well.  I will probably pick up that ROTS Chewie we've seen some pics of here and there (even though it is a KB exclusive).  Wanted to get the OTC version, but just never did.

Vehicles - Battle Vehicles - $14.99
From what I've read, this consists of the BARC Speeder, AT-RT, and Boga.  I will likely be picking up all three of these, but I'll check them in person to be sure.

Vehicles - Assault Vehicles - $19.99
Again, from what I've read, this consists of Obi-Wan's Starfighter, the Droid Tri-Fighter, and Grievous' Wheelbike.  These I'll have to wait and see on (price and space), but I'd like to for sure get Obi's fighter and Grievous' wheelbike, and we'll see about the Tri-Fighter.

Vehicles - Gunship (Large) - $29.99
ARC 170 Fighter and Gunship repaint.  I'll be passing on the Gunship for sure, already have 1 and barely have the space for that one.  A really cool ship though I think, and quite large.  I would definitely like to pick up the ARC 170, providing I have the cash :).

Playsets - $29.99
The Mustafar playset.  It seems a bit underwhelming from the pics, but I'm still considering picking it up, just because I haven't bought a modern playset yet and they were always kind of neat in the vintage days.  Undecided on this one for now.

Unleashed - $14.99
From what we've seen and know is coming, I think I'll be picking up all three.  I for sure would like to get the Anakin/Obi-Wan (I passed on the AOTC versions), and I think these would make a nice "centerpiece".  Grievous I may pick up as well.  I really like this line a lot, but finding the space for them is proving more and more difficult.  I've seen rumors of Chewie, Clonetrooper, Yoda and Sidious...and I'd consider each of those as well.

Force Battlers - $9.99
I'm guessing none of these for me.  The price is too high, and I'm not all that crazy about them.  If they produce a Chewie one, I'd probably pick it up, but otherwise for now I'm staying away from these I think.

Galactic Heroes - $4.99
Three new sets so far is all we've seen, and I'll pick up all three if I see them.  Another line that I think is fun, and relatively inexpensive, to collect.  I'll get the 3 ROTS offerings, and hope that we see more later in the year (hopefully more OT as well).

Jedi Force - $7.99
Surprised we're seeing these and "Force Battlers" side by side, seem like the same type of thing.  I have picked up a few of these previous releases (Chewie, Droids, Vader), and might be tempted to get some of these new ones.  I'll likely get a Han to put with Chewie, and the Yoda looks kind of neat too.  The others I will have to consider at the time, but again, not sure if I have the room for them...and they are more for the kiddies (but I guess all of this is....supposedly, right? :P)

Darth Tater - $7.99
Maybe.  Maybe.  That's all I can say at this point.  I sometimes like the little odd-ball additions to the collection.

Attacktix - $5.99 to $9.99
Nope, not interested in these at all.

Role Play - Various Prices
I've never picked up anything like this in the modern line (have one vintage Vader saber), so I'm kind of tempted to get one lightsaber, just to have one.  I'll also look at the nerfy Chewbacca bowcaster.  Might be fun to play with with our nephews (or kids someday).

Lots more coming this year, but this is a long enough post as it is.  These will probably be the main focuses for me, but it is more than enough on its own.  Lots of money spent this year, our checkbook is already shivering in corner :).  Any idea of what you are looking towards picking up this year?

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: 2005: Getting an Idea of What You'll Be Picking Up?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 12:21 PM »
My focus will be on the 3 3/4 figures and a few vehicles and beasts.  Oh and maybe a couple 12 inchers and Unleashed figs.  I won't be picking up any Force Battlers, Attactix, Games, Lightsabers, Legos, Code 3, PlaySchool, etc. 

I may go to Burger King for a few glasses or toys. 

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 12:59 PM »
Clones, Wookies, Droids. Anakins, and thats it. I'll wait and go the Amazon.com route, or search stores. Maybe get 4 packs from KB, on clearance. God those were fun days.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 01:14 PM »
Here's how I see it shaking out for me and all the Hasbro stuff...

2x of each (1 carded, 1 loose) to start
multiples (2-4) of selected Army builders

1x of each (loose), hopefully on clearance  ;)

Battle Arenas - $19.99
1x each (loose) - sure they may suck, but that dang figure OCD kicks in again...  :-[

no thank you

1x each (loose), perhaps an extra AT-RT if it is cool enough

1x each (loose)

1x ARC-170
0x Republic Gunship (I've already got the AotC and CW versions, 2 is plenty).

Playsets - $29.99
1x Mustafar Playset (loose), hopefully on clearance  ;)

Unleashed - $14.99
no thank you

Force Battlers - $9.99
no thank you

Galactic Heroes - $4.99
1x each (loose), hopefully all those 3-yr old's don't mind  :P

Jedi Force - $7.99
no thank you

Darth Tater - $7.99
no thank you

no thank you

no thank you

I think that about covers it...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 01:23 PM »
Thanks Jeff for the format, saves me some typing  ;)

All eventually, I'm a basic completist.  All will be opened.  Army builders where necessary

None, unless it's something along the line of Jabba or his minions.  No force flipping water squirting figures for me.

Battle Arenas - $19.99
Pass

Pass

One of each to open

One of each to open

One ARC fighter, not buying another gunship

Playsets - $29.99
Pass

Unleashed - $14.99
One of each to open

Force Battlers - $9.99
Pass

Galactic Heroes - $4.99
One of each

Jedi Force - $7.99
Pass

Darth Tater - $7.99
One to open

Pass

Pass

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 01:24 PM »
Stealing directly from Brian...

I'll end up with most, if not all of these.  My intent is to pass on most initially.  If I like them, fine, I'll pay retail for them but if they're somewhat interesting then I'll wait for clearance down the road since I'm a loose collector, I hardly need to pay full price and you know most will be cheaper.  Clones I'll likely buy every one I see.  

Rather doubtful about these, the Anakin to Vader is a maybe, but beyond that, fuggedaboutit.  

Battle Arenas - $19.99
Blech, if at all, clearance.

Doubtful.

Maybe, maybe not.  Depends what happens when I see them.

Clearance.

Clearance

Playsets - $29.99
Clearance

Unleashed - $14.99
Not sure where to go here.  I'm thinking of downsizing this line, but an "interactive" set of Obi/Anakin is pretty tempting.  I'll be offloading my Obi to a friends kid, so it may work out well.  Likely pass on most ROTS offerings.

Force Battlers - $9.99
 ::)

Galactic Heroes - $4.99
I'll probably snag all of these.  My daughter still likes to play with these as it is right now and they are small enough when she loses interest.  

Jedi Force - $7.99
 ::)

Darth Tater - $7.99
I may, but I shouldn't.  It's nothing I need.  

No thank you.

I'm trying to stay away from these and I may well try to get rid of most of mine.  I don't play with them and Master Replica stuff displays so much nicer.  If I pick up anything, it will be on clearance.

I keep wondering what the retail response is going to be on these.  Are retailers crazy enough to repeat Episode I and Episode II again???  Or have they become a little more savvy and a little more disenchanted with the Star Wars franchise?  I can still find Saga items in most stores but is the lure of a movie year for promotional purposes enough to draw them in and have them order huge quantities?  Enough that a majority of product will go on clearance in September?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 01:43 PM »
I've been curious about that too Brent, particularly because there seems like there is just so much stuff, even for a movie year.  This is probably comparable to when TPM hit, with Star Wars plastered all over everything you can see.  That, in combination with big movie pushes from Batman, Fantastic Four, etc., really makes for a lot of movie product taking up those action figure aisles.  Oh, and I was thinking the same way about that Darth Tater.  Probably shouldn't, its nothing I need, but I just can't rule it out 100% at this point.  The retail situation will be interesting to see though, and I'm fearful of all the stuff that is coming out this year that I want to pick up.  I have to realize that I don't have to buy it all right away on April 2nd :).

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2005, 05:09 PM »
One of each for me, and every one will be opened and *ahem* displayed.  ;D

One of each (eventually).  I'll probably just get the Anakin/Vader and Palpatine/Sidious to start with.  Obi-Wan will wait until clearance, I'm sure.

Battle Arenas - $19.99
I'm still thinking about when I'm picking these up.  They will probably be somewhere low on the list, I'm sure.

I'll get Palpatine, Vader, and Grievous, but nobody else.  Hasbro doesn't exactly have the best record on female dolls, especially those who have weapons to hold.

One of each, which will be opened.

One of each, which will be opened.

No thanks on the Gunship (one is more than enough), but I will get an ARC fighter.

Playsets - $29.99
I'm going to wait on this one, but I probably will end up getting it eventually.

Unleashed - $14.99
First things I'm going for, they will be opened, and no, I'm not kidding.

Force Battlers - $9.99
No thanks.

Galactic Heroes - $4.99
No thanks (I've managed to stay away from them with the exception of the Bounty Hunters and Vader/Obi-Wan)

Jedi Force - $7.99
Maybe if they do a Palpatine, but otherwise, no.

Darth Tater - $7.99
I'm debating on this one.

No thanks.  Sure to join the ranks of Epic Force, the Cruisemissle Trooper, and the Jango Fett wrist launcher in the "It should have been in the clearance aisle to begin with" file.  :D

If they do a Mace Windu lightsaber with the Episode II/III hilt instead of the half-Maul hilt, I might pick one up.  If they do a Palpatine saber, probably that too.  Other stuff, no thanks.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2005, 05:55 PM »

I'll get all but the Super Battle Droid, and a ton of army builders and a few extra Jedi for customs.  Especially Agen Kolar and Kit Fisto.  Should be able to finally make a good Mace Windu from them.

At least 1-2 of each.  Any army builders I'll get a few more of.

Battle Arenas - $19.99
What the hell - I'll get them.

Probably none, or just the Emperor.  He looks pretty bitchin.

All three, and 3-4 of the AT-RT.

All of them... multiples of the Wheelbike if there are more than one of them in the film.

May get the Gunship on clearance... depends.  I don't know if I need another.  Anything else, 1-2 of.

Playsets - $29.99
The Mustafar playset.  Yep.  Can't pass on any playset.

Unleashed - $14.99
Maybe a few.

Force Battlers - $9.99
Probably none.  Mayube Vader if I feel crazy.

Galactic Heroes - $4.99
Lord No!

Jedi Force - $7.99
No!!

Darth Tater - $7.99
Maybe. 

No probably not.

Maybe the Chewbacca water gun.  Passed on it 2-3 times already at TRU.

:P

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2005, 06:08 PM »
Most of them...lots of clones and lots of extras for customs.

Which ever ones catch me interest.

Maybe one or two...doubtful

All three, and 5 of the AT-RT.

All, maybe a few extra Kenobi fighters

Gunship and 2 ARC

Playsets - $29.99
Any that catch my interest

Unleashed - $14.99
See above

See above
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2005, 07:10 PM »
Holy shitzu.  Im going broke just thinking about it :o  My wife put her foot down early with a new one on the way and my wife leaving her job.  My main focus has always been army building and I think that will be hurt the most since there are a ton of possibilities this year.  Put me down for:

1.  At least two of each fig.

2.  One of each beast.

3.  A few of the Deluxe.

4.  A few ships.

5.  Galactic Heroes.

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2005, 10:41 PM »
I'm thinking on just getting the basic figures since I don't have the cash or room right now.  Hopefully in the future the prices on these figures end up being like all of the other SW stuff and remain low.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2005, 10:56 PM »

I'll try and wait on as many of these as possible, and won't be getting as many as everyone else.  NO SBD, BD, maybe not even the Clone (I like the AT TE one much better).  So we'll see.  I think I'm only buying 12 on 4/2, and that will be tough picking which ones to leave behind.

Sidious for sure, Anakin maybe.  Clearance time.

Battle Arenas - $19.99
No way.  Maybe clearance.

Maybe Anakin to Vader.  Maybe.

The AT RT for sure.

Clearance time.

One fo the ARC 170.

Playsets - $29.99
Clearance time.

Unleashed - $14.99
I'd love to have Anakin/Obi, but I'll probably pass on all these.

Force Battlers - $9.99
Umm... nah.

Galactic Heroes - $4.99
I love 'em but I'll pass.

Jedi Force - $7.99
Umm... nah.

Darth Tater - $7.99
It's cool, but nah.  

Right.

Obi Wan's saber for sure.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2005, 02:10 AM »
I'll buy all these, especially Clones and Padmes. I'm concerned that I won't get a decent ROTS Obi-Wan, since I'm still waiting for a AOTC one that doesn't suck. Jedi Kicks just aren't my favorite things on action figures.

Oh yeah. I'm actually liking these, and they're a hell of a lot better than AOTC's initial Deluxe offerings.

Battle Arenas - $19.99
Maybe. These type of things yell 'Clearance' to me.

I'll probably get all of these, since, again, they look better than AOTC's offerings. I don't have a prequel Anakin or any era Vader 12"er, so that set is looking pretty good to me.

Heck yeah, these look like fun.

Sure, why not. They might be pretty cool, though I will wait until I've seen the film to buy them.

No to the Gunship since I have the AOTC one, but yes to the ARC-170, maybe two.

Playsets - $29.99
Well, I bought the Arena, so one could say my expectations for a good playset are somewhat dull. It might be a pretty neat place to display one's figures instead of being a 'play' set.

Unleashed - $14.99
I don't know. I want to get Grevious, but every time I find a new figure from this line, I hesitate to go to the register with it, since they're $15 a crack and I don't have any more room for them. I still have Bossk, Aayla, and Mace in package since I don't have a place to display them.

Force Battlers - $9.99
NO.

Galactic Heroes - $4.99
Maybe, but I still haven't picked up the Jawa/Tusken wave despite ample opportunity.

Jedi Force - $7.99
No. Leave it for the kiddies.

Darth Tater - $7.99
Oh yeah. A unique item, and hopefully one that won't become an entire line. If I see a Potato in an X-Wing pilot's outfit, I'll be ticked off so much that I just won't buy it. Yeah.

I have a dislike of games like these, so no.

The lightsabers, definetely. I just started in on those, and between the OTC and ROTS offerings, I'll be able to get the ones I want. Sweet! Though I'm probably the only collector who doesn't possess a Darth Maul or Qui-Gon saber.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 02:12 AM by Hasbro's Missing Integrity »
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2005, 02:31 AM »

Actually I'm likely to buy more Collection 2 than Collection 1...  I'm sure I'll be waiting for sales on many figures though, either way, save perhaps for army builders I want right now.  I've learned that the film years just don't pay off to go nuts buying up stuff...  It's improved, and I really am torn, but I'm gonna be selective with E3 like I was with E2...  It'll make up for me getting the Clone 4-packs from EE that Hasbro reamed me on, and army building the VOTC Stormtrooper at full price when I saw it...   ::)

I am torn though, and part of me wants to bite on getting everything because the figures ARE better this time around.  I'll definitely be getting lots of Clones though, and things I like most.

Clearance mostly...  Depends when I see them a lot, but the Deluxe line's definitely not aimed at us it seems, so I'm not sad to pass on these till sales and clearances.

Battle Arenas - $19.99

Depends again when I see better figures.  Sales, clearances most likely.  If the playset they attach to (if I'm thinking correctly here) was better, then maybe, but the Mustafar set blows.

Nope...  Gave up 12" figure collecting long ago, not going back.

AT-RT I'll get one at least, but unless the figure's good I dunno how many I'll buy right away.  Buy extras on a sale/clearance though, I think the thing is great overall, even the walking feature.

I'll wait for clearances mostly.  May get the Jedi fighters depending on if they're in-scale or not...  Gotta see some specific dimensions before I decide that though.  So far, I'm dejected at the droid socket mostly.

At this point, nothing...  The Gunship and ARC are both entirely too underscaled to suit me so I'll put them on the "to-do" list.  Clearance I'd perhaps bite, so we'll see.  At $20 or so I'd be ok with buying one at that then.  Otherwise I was underwhelmed.

Playsets - $29.99

Thing sucks, I'll wait.  Hated the Arena set, and this isn't a far cry from that pile as I see it.  Hasbro really needs to get into a format where the scale/scope of the playset is up to the consumer...  Interlocking, nicely scaled/detailed playsets would be ideal but it seems they'll never happen in our lifetime.

Unleashed - $14.99

Not my cup of tea save for one here and there, usually pertaining to a character-specific theme I collect...  Bossk has so far been the only unleashed I was interested in.

Force Battlers - $9.99

Hell No. 

Galactic Heroes - $4.99

Hell No.

Jedi Force - $7.99

Hell No, and at this point I think Hasbro is dipping into too many pools.

Darth Tater - $7.99

Perhaps...  To be honest though, I don't care to pay homage to Hasbro as the license holder just yet...  It's only in the last year+ that Hasbro's really begun to make Star Wars a competitive toy brand on the shelves.  To me, that doesn't deserve a TON of praise in 10 years of them holding the license.

Keep this pace up, then having their elder toy decked out as Vader seems keener...  At the same time, I dig just how it looks.  And it's not expensive...  may bite.  It'll be on sale though, let's face it. :)

See a previous post where I thought Hasbro was "dipping into too many pools".  If I wanna game, I'll do it with miniatures games instead.  Definitely another thing aimed at kids.

Sabers as gifts for the kids perhaps...  Perhaps one for myself, I dunno, but these are the kinds of things I buy then have nowhere to put them, haha.

Not something I'm terribly interested in...  Wait for a sale or other incentive probably.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77