Author Topic: 2005 Red Metallic Darth Vader @ Target  (Read 38996 times)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Re: 2005 Red Metallic Darth Vader @ Target
« Reply #150 on: March 28, 2005, 02:21 AM »
Now, the more and more that I turn over "extra security" in my head, that may mean one of several things:

The fact that it's under lock and key in the managers office,

They're having extra clerks come in to act as "security",

Some guys from the 501st are doing it.

Anyone here a 501ster?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 28, 2005, 08:50 AM »
The trick for everyone will be getting in line before everyone else.    I just don't know how many people would line up at my Target for this item?  It's a Saturday though I can see plenty of people beating me to it.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 28, 2005, 09:42 AM »
The trick for everyone will be getting in line before everyone else. I just don't know how many people would line up at my Target for this item? It's a Saturday though I can see plenty of people beating me to it.

This is my fear as well. There is a TRU right across the street from the nearest Target to me. So since I will be at TRU for Midnight Madness to grab a couple of Yodas with my son, my only choice/option is to finish up at TRU as FAST AS POSSIBLE and get over to the Target, because I get the feeling that MANY of the collectors who are already out at midnight for TRU will be the types willing to just wait in front of Target until it opens at 8AM - if you think about it - it's only six hours later.

I am tempted to try to convince a family member to wait at the Target in line for me until I get there. I can't ask my wife to do it, she's already agree to meet me at the Target at 5AM in the hopes of scoring another ticket for a "Lava" Vader, 'cause I can see them giving me a hard time about handing a ticket to my son.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 28, 2005, 10:40 AM »
I'm kind of undecided on this Vader.  Part of me wants to pick it up, but I'm really wondering if the "hassle" and $13 price tag to buy basically a rehashed figure in purdy packaging is worth it.  I'm leaning towards not worth it right now :).  I'd rather have the Holo Yoda honestly.  I wish that we would get some more details on the retailer exclusives available this weekend, it seems awfully quiet on that front from Hasbro's side of things.  Also, in the Target literature, they mention figure/glass sets again, which I always enjoy, I'm wondering if we will see those opening day as well....and what/who they will be?  Hopefully we'll get some details this week.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 28, 2005, 02:18 PM »
How the hell do these people have their hands on these things? I thought the Nazi Party of the Nation of Target was guarding these things in their manager's offices and they were not to be let out on the floor under any circumstance.

>:(

Just goes to show you that no matter where you go, retailers for the most part just don't care and if they could have, I bet WalMart and Target would be freely selling this stuff.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

SilverZ

« Reply #156 on: March 28, 2005, 02:24 PM »
Looks like 19 Target store managers need to make a little extra cash on eBay, doesn't it?

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 28, 2005, 02:29 PM »
Well I can see retailers putting this stuff out there.  They don't know that much about SW collecting.  They see a Star Wars figure and 99.99% of the time it goes out on the floor to be sold.  Honestly I wish they would just go back to the good old days and just have mail-aways and get your figure in a plain white box 3 months later. 

That or just put your exclusive on the pegs and have a free for all for it.  Now it's wait in line before dawn, maybe you will get a ticket if you are lucky, etc, etc.  Or come back to our store a week and half later and pay XX amount to get it.   Crazy and stupid.  I can't say it enough times. 

I may just end up saying screw it.  I know I won't be on Ebay buying it.  Not that I would win an auction anyway with them going up to $100.  It's $12.99 or nothing for me. 

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 28, 2005, 02:33 PM »
I may just end up saying screw it.  I know I won't be on Ebay buying it.  Not that I would win an auction anyway with them going up to $100.  It's $12.99 or nothing for me. 

Yeah - I think I may be in that boat as well - I can fit buying one or two at $13 each into my $1300+ budget for ROTS stuff, but having to turn around and purchase one for $100 puts it out of my league and I may have to rely on getting one much later down the line like I will with the Celebration III Vader figure - since I won't be going, I have no choice but to get that on the secondary market.
Peter

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 28, 2005, 02:38 PM »
There's a thread over on RS where a guy in Louisiana found 12 hanging from the pegs at his local Target - he has pictures of the two he bought too...

Rebelscum Thread...

Just great...  >:(
Peter

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #160 on: March 28, 2005, 02:50 PM »
This sucks. I hope that 5:00 AM ish is early enough to wait in line at Target.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 28, 2005, 02:52 PM »
There's a thread over on RS where a guy in Louisiana found 12 hanging from the pegs at his local Target - he has pictures of the two he bought too...

Rebelscum Thread...

Just great...  >:(

Also reports at spawn.com and ssg.com.

Is anyone curious how the math works for this ****?  How many Target stores are there in the US?  1000?  2000?  If so, what's the math work out to here?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #162 on: March 28, 2005, 02:58 PM »
As of March 5th, there are 1304 Target stores...
1304 Stores * 36 figures/store = 46,944 Lava Vaders (at least)

That jives with the reports that say that right on the Vader figure it says "1 of 50,000".

I guess I am not surprised that out of 1300 stores, 1 or 2 or even 10 can't follow directions.

Even if 50 stores screw up and put them out early, that still means that 96% of the stores are following the rules...

Jeff

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 28, 2005, 02:58 PM »
Is anyone curious how the math works for this ****? How many Target stores are there in the US? 1000? 2000? If so, what's the math work out to here?

Well - according to previous estimates it works out to anywhere from 36 to 48 figures per store (multiples of 12 since I think there are 12 per case).
Peter

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #164 on: March 28, 2005, 03:09 PM »
Hasbro finally gets around to letting us know about the exclusives... or rather Lava Vader that we've known about forever.   ::)

April 2nd at Target

Nothing about the other rumored exclusives (cups, clones, etc).

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender