Author Topic: 2005 Red Metallic Darth Vader @ Target  (Read 39002 times)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: 2005 Red Metallic Darth Vader @ Target
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2005, 11:15 AM »
I prefer Target to WalMart simply for the same reasons that Matt stated above. Granted your shopping experience can vary depending on how helpful the Target employees are, but that is a wholely different matter - at least in Target, I know there is a CHANCE I might get some help - at WalMart, forget about it.

Did you all know this: At WalMart they have the same guns as the Target employees do, that they can use to scan the labels on the end of pegs and get info on whether or not they have any more of an item in stock in the back, in the overstock offsite warehouse or EVEN if they have more on the way and what the delivery date is?

I actually got the toys associate at the Toms River, NJ Walmart to help me right after the OTC figures started to hit - they had pegs, but no figures. So she was like "hold on" - went and got a gun from heck knows where, scanned the bar code and was like "We don't have any more, but we're getting them on this date" - I was shocked that they have the ability to help customers like this, but yet they don't.

Unless the pegs are full, I have NEVER had any trouble getting a Target employee to either re-fill them if they have more or check to see if they have more (if it's a store with an older price scanner) - to me, that alone makes the trip to Target a million times more satisfying.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2005, 08:18 AM »
Mousedroid.com has pics up of the Target exclusive "lava" Vader, as well as a TRU exclusive holographic Yoda.  Pretty cool.  Have a looksee right over HERE.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2005, 09:22 AM »
Holo Yoda is neat...Red Vader to me is...lame ::)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2005, 09:28 AM »
Yeah, the Holo Yoda was a nice surprise, looking forward to that figure.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2005, 09:46 AM »
Holo Yoda is neat...Red Vader to me is...lame ::)

This is accurate to me.  And unfortunate.  I was looking forward to a Vader like this as a unique piece.  I still hold hope that it looks better loose as figures sometimes do.  But as far as carded goes, it looks fairly lame indeed. 

This is not to say that Scott shouldn't pick me up two anyway, since he won't want it :P

The Yoda is interesting, though a bit more clear than the usual holo pieces are.  Wonder if these will make it north of the border as well. 

Now, what does Walmart have as their exclusive piece :P
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2005, 09:55 AM »
Just in case anyone misses it (I did the first time I took at look at those pics), if you click on the figure name (in the article) at Mousedroid, you can see loose pics of both of those figures.  Maybe I'm the only one who just clicked on the "picture" the first time and didn't look any further, but I thought I'd pass that along just in case :).

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2005, 09:59 AM »
I believe Jeff said that Vader was going to be a promo like buy so much stuff on April 2nd and get a free Red Metal vader

A POTF2 one at that ::)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2005, 10:08 AM »
Vader looks tacky, now Yoda I like.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2005, 10:52 AM »
I'm liking both of these figures A LOT more simply because they went the extra mile and carded them to match the rest of the ROTS toy line.

Now the question remains. Is one a GWP at Target and the other a GWP at TRU and the first (and possibly only) day they will be available is April 2nd? That's going to make April 2nd a VERY wild ride indeed! Now part of me hopes that at least one TRU in my area will have a MM - that way if Yoda is available then, I can grab that at night and then save some items to pick up at Target the next day to get the Vader.

There has NEVER been a shortage of TRU exclusive figures here, but I think this holographic Yoda is WAY more desireable than any Silver/Chrome figure has been in the past - after all Yoda is sitting in the Jedi Council as a hologram at one point in the movie. I dunno, I just think the timing of these two exclusives is going to make them all the more desireable.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2005, 11:23 AM »
What's a GWP, Pete?  Is that "Giveaway With Purchase"?

If so, that'd be my guess.  I think that's what Jeff was already told on the Vader, at least, so I'd guess the TRU Yoda might be a similar deal.  Interesting little battle of the exclusives, if that's the case.

Not like everybody's going to pass one store over in favor of the other now, obviously.  I'm guessing most people are just going to go to both stores at some point that day/night, and just nab 'em both.  Definitely a decent attempt to draw the buyers in for their more expensive figures at those places.

So we'll be buying as much as we can at the cheaper WM prices, and then spending an additional $20 on whatever at both TRU and Target to get their GWPs.  Sounds like a plan...   8)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2005, 02:17 PM »
That makes more sense to me.  Buy xx amount of SW product and get these figs " free".  That would be a nice promo to get collectors in their respective stores.  I hope this is the case.  Because that's the only way I'd want these.  I actually like the Vader one more than the Yoda.  I suppose Wal-Mart will end up with some exclusive to? 

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2005, 02:47 PM »
What's a GWP, Pete?  Is that "Giveaway With Purchase"?

If so, that'd be my guess.  I think that's what Jeff was already told on the Vader, at least, so I'd guess the TRU Yoda might be a similar deal.  Interesting little battle of the exclusives, if that's the case.

Not like everybody's going to pass one store over in favor of the other now, obviously.  I'm guessing most people are just going to go to both stores at some point that day/night, and just nab 'em both.  Definitely a decent attempt to draw the buyers in for their more expensive figures at those places.

So we'll be buying as much as we can at the cheaper WM prices, and then spending an additional $20 on whatever at both TRU and Target to get their GWPs.  Sounds like a plan...   8)

Yeah - sorry GWP = Gift with Purchase, I should have spelled it out...

I totally understand BOTH chains wanting to have a reason for you to come in on the 2nd. The nice thing of course is that you can (a) spread your figure purchases around or (b) pick up vehicles at TRU and figures at Target or (c) like Matt says above, purchase almost everything at WalMart for the cheapest price and then leave a few $20 purchases for both TRU and Target to pick up the exclusives.

I think I'm definitely still going to start off at WalMart and grab as many figures as I can. Luckily in one town near me there is all three stores, so that's where I'll start - WalMart at 7 AM, grab my two-each of every ROTS figure and the Unleashed three. Then I'll head over to Target by 8 AM and buy the vehicles - which will be the same whether you go to TRU or Target. I'll use those to bring my totals up to the point where I can get the Red Vader, then I'll head over to TRU by 10 AM when they open and grab the Smaller Vehicles, Battle Arenas and 12" figures - that should be plenty of product to earn me some free Yodas!

It's going to be a fun morning!
Peter

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2005, 03:16 PM »
Yoda definitely, but Vader just seems silly.  Or at least poorly realized.  Looks like I'll be hitting TRU in the early morning hours this time.   :)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2005, 03:34 PM »
I dig the Yoda, but the Vader - bah.

:P

SilverZ

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2005, 04:15 PM »
Sorry, but I'm going to have to poo-poo the Yoda as well as Vader. It's a cool gesture and all, but I'd prefer them to make versions of viable characters properly. If I have to pay 5.99 for it, that's fine.

I'd have liked a Holo Yoda using the Yoda & Chian 2-pack sculpt, packed with his Jedi Council chair. That would make the figure much more appropriate to how he's depicted in the movie (that we've seen so far).