Author Topic: 2005 Red Metallic Darth Vader @ Target  (Read 39008 times)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: 2005 Red Metallic Darth Vader @ Target
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2005, 08:57 PM »
I would be more concerned with what JediMac was saying.  In that my store probably would not even know about the promotion.  Or they won't have the figures there.  If they do it will be damaged.  Or whatever. 

It's just piss poor way to handle it.  The folks that thought up this lame ass idea really have no clue. 

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2005, 12:42 AM »
At least Target didn't get the holo Yoda. That would have pissed everybody off.

Me, I don't care about the Vader. It looks stupid, it's an exclusive, and it's vastly overpriced. Not to mention standing in line (for a single figure? **** you) and being one of the 36 "lucky" ones.

I'll just score what I absolutely have to have at Wal-Mart at midnight, and cruise the rest of the stores at my leisure on Saturday.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline starwax137

• Jedi Initiate
  • Go away.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2005, 03:50 PM »
I too think this is a really stupid way to handle this and it isn't going to get Target anywhere, but who cares? It's not my problem anymore. Target had an oppurtunity here to move their product, and they blew it. I'll be passing on the lava Vader now for sure, but at least I know where to head in a month for clearances, because I know where all the leftover stuff is going to be. Target just blew it. They're pretty much out of the picture now, but I'm not going to get all worked up about it and neither should you guys because there really is a way we all can profit from their mistakes here.

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2005, 04:43 PM »
If my wife gets the $1 off coupon then I think it will be worth the hassle to get the Vader.  That means SW figs will be $4.99 if they're regularly priced at $5.99.  Hopefully that applies to the Vader also.  For those that need openers bring your friends, that's what I'll be doing.  All you have to do is treat them for breakfast at Dennys after.   :P 

I'm actually worried about a big crowd showing up.  My local Target is normally low key, keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way.

Matt, if I get an extra Vader it's yours.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 04:45 PM by JayDouble »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2005, 05:29 PM »
Matt, if I get an extra Vader it's yours.

Thanks, Jay.  That would be awesome.  I have a feeling I'll be needing it...   :-\

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2005, 05:52 PM »
The good thing for you guys is Target's are a dime a dozen out there in Cali, right?  I always thought they were anyway...

Out in Pitt, they're still sporatic.  There's 5 I can think of off the top of my head, but they're all spaced apart quite a bit, and none are "close" to me.  45 minutes at best, and some a bit more than that.

I'm hoping the 5 have people spread out enough though...  I figure I can hit 2 of them in relative speed, incase.  I want the Vader but part of me doesn't want to deal with this crap either...  That I can skip these and not feel bad about not having a complete chrome set since it's not on the same cardback as all the others.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

SilverZ

« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2005, 10:09 PM »
The good thing for you guys is Target's are a dime a dozen out there in Cali, right?  I always thought they were anyway...

Out in Pitt, they're still sporatic.  There's 5 I can think of off the top of my head, but they're all spaced apart quite a bit, and none are "close" to me.  45 minutes at best, and some a bit more than that.

I'm hoping the 5 have people spread out enough though...  I figure I can hit 2 of them in relative speed, incase.  I want the Vader but part of me doesn't want to deal with this crap either...  That I can skip these and not feel bad about not having a complete chrome set since it's not on the same cardback as all the others.

Yeah, that's the one upside to Target out here. If you're willing to drive far enough, or brave a rough neighborhood, it will be easy enough to get your hands on the one figure. Near my house, I could hit four Targets within 45 minutes if need be.

It sucks that it isn't the case everywhere.

Getting a second figure as an opener is the big unknown right now for me. My only real chance is for a low turnout and making a second pass for another ticket.

The figure itself is so pointless and lame that I won’t be too bothered if I don’t get that second one, or get a banged-up one off of ebay later.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2005, 08:50 AM »
Was it ever confirmed how a person can actually get the $1 off coupon?  Do you have to have a Target credit card? 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2005, 10:49 AM »
I've heard a few things back from Target regarding the $1 off coupons...

#1 - Coupons will be sent in the mail, not the paper.

#2 - Target got a copy of the mailing list from SW.com.  If you live within 10 miles of a Target Store AND you are member of Hyperspace, you should get the coupon.

#3 - If you have a Target credit card and have used it to purchase SW stuff in the past, you should get a coupon.

#4 - If you have been identified as a "loyal" Target shopper, you should get a coupon.  (You would know if you are, because you would already be receiving the monthly coupon mailers from Target).

Now, a few clarifications -

These rules are NOT a guarantee you will get the coupon, just the guidelines they used when they were deciding who would get them. 

Target has a set number of coupons going out in each market.  As they are in the business of making money, they only made as many coupons as they could "reasonably" handle.  What this means is that even though you may meet the above guidelines, you still may not get the coupon.  They are sending out coupons to the first xxx number of people who meet the requirements, not everyone who meets the requirements.

I have a feeling that this whole "coupon" thing will make people even MORE upset with Target when people begin to realize that they are not going to be as widely distributed as everyone is hoping and people start to realize how unfair it is that Joe Schmoe got $1 off all his figures and they didn't...  :-\

And I'll add that at this point,  there is NOTHING you can do to increase your chances of getting one.  The coupons are all printed and in the process of being mailed, so don't believe other sites when they tell you "this is what you need to do to get the coupon." 

The coupons should be going out in the mail VERY soon, they are timed to be in your mail box sometime next week (most likely at the end of the week Fr/Sat) so they arrive approx 1 week prior to April 2nd.

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2005, 11:49 AM »
Wait wait wait... this gets even better!

So even though I (a) am a member of Hyperspace, (b) already get regular Target coupons in the mail, and (c) have a Target charge card, I STILL may not get this $1 off coupon?

And people refer to Walmart as the "Evil Empire"!
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2005, 12:01 PM »

And people refer to Walmart as the "Evil Empire"!

Unreal.  My respect for Target over Wal-Mart is diminishing...  How much more can they **** this up?

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2005, 12:58 PM »
Oh yeah that reminds me.  I STILL have not recieved my Hyperspace password yet.  They supposedly receive my check on 2/15 and I should call back by 3/15 if I have not received the password via email. 

I better get on the phone since it's the 18th so that they can tell me "Yeah, you have not received it yet." 

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2005, 07:54 PM »
Boys and Girls, have I got a story for you:

From a friend of mine who is an employee at Target:

"I talked to the head of the toy department (who was actually quite knowledgable about the new Star Wars toys and such). He took me back and showed me a little manufacture catalog (like the ones we have at JPtoys in the downloads section- only for SW instead of JP), and it said that these figures are so important and valuable that nobody is even allowed to look inside the case and it has to be locked away in the managment office for security precautions. Then he went on to explain that fans have been asking and calling for weeks already (about the figure) and would likely begin lineing up for thier ticket at 4 am (if not the night before April 2nd). He said working at Target doesn't make getting one any easier then it is for the public to get one, and if you aren't one of the first 36 (or maybe it was 46) in the line, then the extra security that they're bringing in will turn you away."

His boss was quite serious when he said this.

Security...yikes.

Kevin

The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2005, 08:45 PM »
Will the security be dressed as Stormtroopers?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2005, 09:10 PM »
I dont know. I dont think so.

If they are I wouldnt take them seriously.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...