Author Topic: RotS Figure Impressions?  (Read 10401 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: RotS Figure Impressions?
« Reply #15 on: April 3, 2005, 07:32 PM »
I have 1-32 opened and I am really only disappointed with two figs really.  The Super Battle Droid and the Battle Droid.  These are exactly as previous releases correct?  Somebody mentioned the material used.  I wont be army building with either.  I am happy will the other 30 figs though. 

My other complaint is the Barc Speeder.  Biggest POS to date IMO. 

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #16 on: April 3, 2005, 11:26 PM »
I'm pretty happy with these as well.  This is, by far, the best movie year collection ever.  And I like the TPM figures.  I'm really hoping these do well and we can get some more ROTS stuff next year.  Unfortunately, I saw one TRU that had dozens of pegs with 1-24 only.  I'm worried that misguided distribution of the initial waves will hurt later waves.

Reagrdless,  these are great, great figures!!   Hasbro stepped up to the plate and nailed it this time!
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 3, 2005, 11:39 PM »
I got up to #40...not including the Gunner and Medical Droid.

I have to say the only figure I don't like is Padme, but she's a far better figure than any EP1 Padme. This line gets high marks in my book.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #18 on: April 3, 2005, 11:43 PM »
I should note that I passed on SBD and the BD as well as spinning Yoda, Obi-Wan #1, Chewbacca and I would have passed on Obi-Wan #2 but I bought him by mistake.  I have enough Battle Droids and SBD and hearing these new ones are no better than previous ones is a dissapointment

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #19 on: April 4, 2005, 02:48 PM »
I am really enjoying the figures. Palpatine #35 is just awesome. I love extra head and hands.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 4, 2005, 02:53 PM »
So, for you openers, did you just rip everything open as soon as you got home with it, or are you spacing it out?  I didn't really have a chance to get around to it this weekend, and have only opened up a clonetrooper so far (only fig I have an extra of at this point).  I'm debating whether to just dig in tonight and start opening, or spread it out over days/weeks.  It seems different having to go to the stores to look for stuff more regularly again, it seemed like quite a dry spell overall there so far.  Also, to keep this on topic ;), the Clone I opened seemed pretty cool...and to be honest, the "squeezing legs" action feature doesn't bother me that much.  Reminds me of Super Powers toys.  If we have to have action features once in awhile, I'd much rather have this than buttons/wheels/etc.  I'm really looking forward to the SA one coming later on, but this one isn't too bad either.  I think I like the helmet design of these troops a little better than the AOTC version, probably because they are more "Stormtrooper like".

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 4, 2005, 05:51 PM »
I opened up all of them before Sunday Morning. :)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 4, 2005, 05:52 PM »
I'm very happy so far. I got every figure except 33 -36 and have only opened three: The Clone Trooper, At-Et Gunner and the Red Royal Guard. I do have issues with the guard, but he's still a good figure.

As for the rest, I'm dealing with space issues, so I 'm hoping to get some of those resolved so I can bust them open because they look sweet.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline amarsella

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 4, 2005, 06:35 PM »
Cracked all my figs open as soon as I got home from MM. I'm really loving all these figs. The updated EP2 Jedi (Luminara, Fisto, Shaak-Ti, Plo, Tiin) are AWESOME. I hope hasbro comes out with a Windu, Anakin and Obi with articulation like these. Dooku and Emperor Palps are also great.

Overall I'm pretty impressed wioth Hasbro so far on these. I passed on 'Hunching' Mace. That's one fig that Hasbro need to do some real work on. We need all Jedi with VOTC articulation.
Put on your old fur coat, it's 1973

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 5, 2005, 12:59 PM »
I opened up most things saturday with my son. R2 and 3p0 first, Gave him chewie and tarful sat night after going to walmart.
Then I opened up grevous and the clone troper and they are with me at work.
Overall I am very satisfied with them.
I still have obi-wan, dooku and the 2nd clone trooper to open.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 6, 2005, 09:04 AM »
Finished up opening my basic figures yesterday, and overall I'm pretty impressed with this line.  No real terrible figures as far as what I have, and some are quite well done.  I'm particularly impressed with the "background" Jedi figures, pretty much all of the Jedi outside of Anakin, Obi, and Mace.  Those figures are all very well done I think, and worlds better than their AOTC counterparts.  Although the Anakin, Obi, and Mace figures aren't awful, I really wish we could see them done in the same manner as the rest of these Jedi.  Mace is probably one of the better ones we've seen, but for some reason I'm having trouble getting past those shoulders.

I also like the Clonetroopers, even with the action feature.  I can't wait to see what the superposeable version is like in person, and hopefully not nearly as tough to find as the Clone Wars version.  Other favorites:

Chewie and Tarfful - Always fan of the wookiees, but was a bit concerned about them after some of the pics online.  Blonde highlights seem to be slightly overdone, but the Chewie I got actually looks pretty nice.  Maybe I just got one with a toned down paintjob.  Tarfful is good as well, although not quite as spiffy as I expected.  I do like them both though.

C-3PO, Padme, Bail...well, pretty much all of Coll 2 - Great figures.  Maybe one of the best 3POs we've gotten, if still under-articulated.  Padme is one of the favorite Padme figures we've seen too.  The face seems closer than most we've gotten.  Bail is good for what he is, as can be said for the majority of Collection 2.

The Rest of Collection 1 - These figures to me are not too bad, but nothing spectacular.  I do like the Emperor figure (loads better than the Saga version to me), and Vader is alright too (although VOTC is a bit better).  Grievous and his bodyguards are pretty cool too.  I didn't pick up R2 yet, since it seems that he isn't a big hit with those who have him...and from the poster it looks like we'll be getting another one down the road.

Overall, I really like this line.  I think it is one of the better ones we've seen for awhile, particularly among the PT "movie" lines.  To be honest, it really makes me realize how much crap we got during the AOTC craze.  I kind of wish I wouldn't have gotten so much during that time, as so much of it pales in comparison to these and other figures we have gotten since then.  Probably why much of it is packed away.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #26 on: April 7, 2005, 11:30 AM »
Opened the #32-40 figures last night...here's my thoughts:

Clone Commander  Very cool figure with loads of neat weapons.  Double Holster!  I like the visor deal and the shoulder pauldron but the figure looses a few points by not having the stuff be easily removable (and in the case of the helmet visor, if you do take it off there are two large pegs there)

Clone Pilot  Seems to be oddly proportioned for some reason.  I love the OT life support box on the chest and its a definitely cool and neutral posed figure.

Palpatine  Odd variation aside, its not a good as I thought it was going to be.  The head swap is cool but for some weird reason, the "evil" head is stuck at a weird angle.  Suffers from salt shakeritis as well with no real legs.  I bought two of the black robed Palpatines (one for my OT display) and I just gave this guy the extra saber. 

Grievous w/ Guts  A complaint I've had about all of the Grievous figures is the lack of consitency on the paint.  This one is almost Bone white again.  The exploding feature is alright but the overall figure is about as floppy as a wet noodle.  Neat concept, poor execution

AT-TE Gunner  I'm a little disappointed in this guy too.  Lots of articulation EXCEPT for the elbows which are cut.  Otherwise he would have been a lot better.  I didn't try to remove the shoulder pauldron but hopefully thats easily removable.  The removable helmet and added helmet armor is neat.  Its a good figure that could be a bit better.

Mas Amedda  Lots of neat stuff.  The overcape is a little too big, they could have probably have done some soft goods.  Nice bonus with the Gene Simmons tongue.  Removable cloak and helmet deal are also nice touches.  He's good for what he is (and a future pegwarmer I'd guess)

Polis Massan Pretty bland, sort of like a podracer in looks and figure quality.  I'd think they could have done 2 for 1 (with a droid or another Massan) on these but they didn't and for that when you see him, you'll feel slightly cheated. 

So, not as good as I thought they would be but certainly on par with the rest of the ROTS figures.  I find it hard to believe that in APRIL we already have 2/3rds of the figures already.  16 figures spread out over the next 7 months is not very good planning I think :-\

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 7, 2005, 03:29 PM »
Congrats on the finds Scott, really looking forward to those Clone figures (as is everyone).  Might be time to head out hunting again, since we tend to run somewhat similar to you guys in MN sometimes.  Target might be the place to go though, as our Wal-Mart is most definitely stacked to the brim with April 2 product still.  Anyways, for those of you who have picked up the R2-D2 figure, what do you think of it?  I didn't think that it was receiving real favorable comments, and I passed on it initially thinking I could just wait for the "electronic" one coming later this year, or even just sub in a different R2 from elsewhere in my collection.  For some reason it just bothers me having C-3PO stand there without his astromech buddy ;).  Anyways, I initially passed on R2 and Mon Mothma, planning on getting them later, and was wondering if the figure(s) were worthwhile?  I also passed on the different Battle Droids available, but I don't have any interest in those really.  I have enough of them from the other two movies.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2005, 03:33 AM »
I've opened several blue and red Guards in the past couple of weeks, and the damn robes puff out huge when the figure is opened. It's almost as bad as VOTC Obi-Wan.

So I've taken to using the clear bands from figure packaging and putting them around the Guard's legs. It scrunches up in back, and might not be good for a long term display, but it works for now.

I also used one of these bands to put around #36 Grievous so he'll stay together. I like him a lot better this way. :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2005, 04:06 PM »
Thought I might bump this one back up.  Now that many people have seen figures #1-44 (and 45, 46, 47 starting to pop up apparently), what are your overall impressions of the line so far.  We basically have 9-12 figures remaining that are announced (depending on your finds/area), so we have a pretty good sampling of the overall line.  Which figures are your favorites so far?