Author Topic: How's the weather?  (Read 209239 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: How's the weather?
« Reply #1650 on: January 25, 2010, 10:56 PM »
Yeah, that's my understanding, that we're on the wrong side of the lake for it.  The one time that it happened, the storm sort of came in from the NW and then swirled around for some reason pushing back towards the city.

Yup, that's kind of what happens here...  Wind from the North meets the precip from the west and pushes it down (when we actually get LE snows).  Otherwise it usually ends around where I-80 cuts through the state, which is sort of the Northern border of our area, and generally anything above I-80 gets slammed during any snow, while Pittsburgh can either get a little, a lot, or a ton depending on how things work out. 

Though we did get one weird one this year which swirled stuff from the south up, and actually our southern areas got more snow than the northern areas.  Not common, but that happens too at times.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: February 2, 2010, 09:12 AM »
It's Groundhog Day, 6 more weeks of winter... blah!

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: February 2, 2010, 09:38 AM »
I heard the other day that PETA wants a mechanical gopher going forward instead of degrading poor Punxsutawney year after year.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: February 2, 2010, 11:02 AM »
Perfect skiing weather here in New England.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: February 2, 2010, 11:33 AM »
A few inches of snow today... love it.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: February 2, 2010, 12:54 PM »
Is this better kids?
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1656 on: February 7, 2010, 07:24 PM »
A few inches of snow today... love it.

Two feet and we're supposedly on the short end of what hit here.  :)  Not lovin' it right now.  I've gotten my car stuck just in Diane's driveway probably 5 times.  The Jeep onces...  Yes, even a jeep.

The biggest pain was digging out her driveway which is too long.  We're looking at maybe getting a snowblower or a plow for the Jeep.  It took a while for the roadcrew to come do her tiny little sideroad and so we were stuck in till about 4pm yesterday.  That blew, but fortunately we had nothing to do and the power didn't go out so we were good.  Shoveled from 10 till 2 yesterday anyway, just to make the driveway passable before the crews came and got the road open. 

The shittiest thing is her Explorer needs new tires.  A neighbor plowed out my family's home and the garages, so they're good.  I'll have to shovel my own parking spot when I get back home later. 

Better now than next Thursday/Friday/Saturday though, that's for sure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: February 7, 2010, 08:53 PM »
All this snow in the northeast, but none for Vancouver.  It's gonna be a rough winter olympics without any snow!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: February 7, 2010, 09:36 PM »
All this snow in the northeast, but none for Vancouver.  It's gonna be a rough winter olympics without any snow!

Only need the snow for the various skiing/snowboarding venues.  Everything up at Whistler, which is two hours drive from Vancouver, should be fine.  As for the events (mostly freesytle related) being held at Cypress Mountain, the organizers should have known better.  The snow has been iffy there for as long as I've had family out there (30+ years).  The good news is many of the events don't actually require that much snow, like aerials or the snowboard tubes. 

Vancouver's never been cold, so winter thaws are hardly unusual. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: February 7, 2010, 09:55 PM »
They've been trucking snow into Whistler.  The situation there is BAD.  They can't even make snow there because there's not enough of a snow base on which they can put man-made snow.  They've had to line the mountain with hay.  Then on top of that they're trying to build a base of 3 - 4 feet worth of snow.  THEN they can actually make some powder to put on top of that.

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: February 7, 2010, 10:19 PM »
Really?  Are you certain the reports you're reading aren't confusing the two, Whistler and Cypress?  They are quite geographically separated.  

From that report the base is 104" or a little over 8 feet at Whistler.  Maybe THEN is NOW? ::)
« Last Edit: February 7, 2010, 10:26 PM by Morgbug »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: February 8, 2010, 01:58 AM »
I've been speaking to people on site.  They didn't specify between Whistler and Cypress.  But the problem does appear to be at Cypress, where the snowboarding and freestyle events are set to be held.  Training time for the athletes has been cut back by two days because of the lack of snow on site at that location.  LA Times.
« Last Edit: February 8, 2010, 01:59 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1662 on: February 8, 2010, 02:39 AM »
And after getting home I caught the news repeat and we're in for 6 to 8 more inches between Tuesday and Wednesday I guess.  ::)  I spent the last 2 hours getting my home parking space clear now too, and the walks and mailbox.  6 to 8 inches I can deal with, but on top of the 2 feet we already have is a bit much to handle with a couple shovels on my own here.  At least at my gf's I made the kids help. :P

Roads are still tricky here for my car.  Diane's Jeep tore through it though.  The Explorer needs new tires but it was going great too.  My car I just have to be careful not to get sucked off the road, and to get momentum up to get out of driveways I'm in.  I got new tires in later Fall time and I really don't like them.  I thought they'd be good, but I'm unimpressed totally with them, so that sucks.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: February 8, 2010, 05:21 AM »
This is too good for the stupid **** thread.  ;D

Meteorologist freakout.

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: February 8, 2010, 07:16 AM »
We just had the first snow free weekend since half December  :( But now it's freezing again, night and day. And finally we've had an official White Christmas here in Holland since 1981 and all we Dutch do is bitch and moan about the ice, the snow, the cold, the traffic jams, where the hell spring is, etc. etc. Not me, though, if it's winter it has to be a Hoth one all the way  ;D

How's the situation over there in the Eastern States?! Hope you guys are doing ok!