Author Topic: How's the weather?  (Read 209954 times)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: How's the weather?
« Reply #795 on: February 10, 2006, 06:34 PM »
Suppose to get snow this weekend in southern Ohio....we'll see.  I have yet to make a snowball and the dog doesn't know what to do with herself (she loved the snow in the U.P.).  I had a flock (really!!) of Robin's in my yard last week.  I never seen so many Robin's in one spot (Michigan's state bird).  Hell, I never usually see a Robin until May.  It's a big thing back in Yooperville...the first sign of a Robin means spring is finally here!!
Beth

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: February 10, 2006, 06:46 PM »
We're right on the line of "significant accumulation" and a mix. 

Erm, not sure where you heard that bit. You're NE of the Charlotte Metro area, right? Well the significant accumulation line basically hugs the mountains and reaches only about 30 or so miles out into the Peidmont.  
As it stands, the WFO at GSP (which, if I remember correctly, serve the Charlotte area) has only posted Winter Weather Advisories as far east as Gastonia, and as far south as Toccoa. Inside these areas, accumulations of up to 1 inch are possible, but going by GSP's logic, not entirely likely.
However, given the dynamic and broad nature of this particular system...and this regions apprehension in predicting winter weather, it wouldn't suprise me if the significant accumulation line were pushed a little farther east and south, towards the Charlottle Metro and locations south of the I-85 in other parts of the area.
Looking at the current numbers, it seems as though we're in the ideal position to recieve something across the I-85 corridor. Which would be great, considering that we haven't had a winter thus far.  :-\

For anyone interested...GSP
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: February 10, 2006, 08:05 PM »
We're right on the line of "significant accumulation" and a mix. 

Erm, not sure where you heard that bit. You're NE of the Charlotte Metro area, right?

Yes -- I'm just NE of Charlotte.  News 14 Carolina is the one heralding the big news of a "significant snowfall"

Though in NC a "significant accumulation" is anywhere from 1-3" ::)

Notice the "quotes" and the rolling eyes? :)  I don't consider 1-3" a significant accumulation. ;)  WSOC TV -- the official doomsday newschannel of Charlotte deniately does.  I surprised they aren't already talking about school closures on Monday ::)  I find the way people freak out around here quite amusing. :P
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: February 10, 2006, 11:26 PM »
I find the way people freak out around here quite amusing. :P
Yeah, for real. It's even worse here in SC, I think. If there's a flurry, there'll be accidents.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: February 11, 2006, 03:43 PM »
The weather here is still good thus far, it was pretty windy for a few days. Right now it's sunny and 6°C, then tomorrow it's suppose to go anywhere from 8°C to 12°C. Looking at the forecast for next week they say it's going to get colder for a few days, nighttime down to -21°C and daytime highs around -12°C to -15°C with some snow for a couple of days then warming up again.

I'm having a heck of a time getting rid of this cold with this weather changing.  :-\

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: February 12, 2006, 11:08 AM »
Northern VA just got a foot+ of snow today...

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: February 12, 2006, 01:05 PM »
The news sis saying whats happening outside my window right now is what we call a Blizzard?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: February 12, 2006, 02:42 PM »
Whose is this news sis and why are you listening to her?  Shouldn't you be paying attention to the Sand Witch of the North?
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: February 15, 2006, 10:06 AM »
There ain't no sand Witch in the north, just a really frosty old lady.

Our weather today:
-29°C Clear
FEELS LIKE   -39°C
WIND   W 13 km/h
GUSTS   
RELATIVE HUMIDITY   68%
DEWPOINT   -33°C
PRESSURE   102.29 kPa 
VISIBILITY   24 km
CEILING   unlimited

It's as bright and clear as can be outside, really looks nice too with all the shiny white stuff. 

Our winter's not been as warm as what Jesse and Dale have had, but it's been a lot warmer than usual.  Even still, just that continuous temperature around freezing manages to get you ready for this stuff, but not that ready.

BTW, Celsius and Farenheit differ a fair bit so it might be hard to relate, but they equalize at -40 where -40 C = -40 F.  So with the windchill we're sitting at -39, scale be damned (well, Kelvin excluded).  IOW Brrrrrrrrrrrr.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: February 15, 2006, 07:46 PM »
We are getting a tad colder here right now, -12°C with wind gusts up to 48 km/h making feel like -23°C. Tonight it drops down to -29°C and with the wind -43°C, tomorrows high -23°C plus more of this ******* wind making it -39°C.  >:(

On the brightside, it's suppose to warm up again in a few days bringing the temps back to normal.  :P

As for snow, maybe we will get some in time and if not this brown is looking very dirty.  :-\

Hey Jesse, I chucked my garbage out this morning before work, with this wind it should arrive in your area soon!  :-*

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #805 on: February 15, 2006, 09:04 PM »
After one of the dryest winters I can remeber here in the Denver/Fort Collins area we are getting a bit of snow tonight, there is about 1" of snow right now (look out ::)) and we are supposed to get 2 feet by sunday, which would be awesome, but 2 feet by Sunday really means 2 inches by Sunday, or 2 feet by tomorrrow. :P
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 09:04 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: February 17, 2006, 10:26 AM »
Frosty lady is doing just fine thanks...

-34°C
A few clouds
FEELS LIKE   -47°C
WIND   W 17 km/h
GUSTS   
RELATIVE HUMIDITY   60%
DEWPOINT   -39°C
PRESSURE   104.29 kPa 
VISIBILITY   24 km
CEILING   unlimited

Driving in to work today, about 3/4 of the way in the engine started to rev higher.  Yup, 45 miles into the drive at 70 mph the engine was cooling off.   :o

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: February 17, 2006, 10:50 AM »
Maybe in your neck of the woods.  We've had one of the hottest, driest winters on record in down here.  It's been pathetic.  Yesterday the high was 84 degrees .

It's finally about to break thanks to all that cold front that's moving down right now - we're supposed to get some freezing rain tonight and all weekend.  As much as I wish it was snow, I'm just glad that it's anything other than beach weather for once.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: February 17, 2006, 10:58 AM »
We're getting gusts of 50+ MPH around here today.  Trees are falling over, people are losing power, sheet metal is flying across the roads ... it's mass hysteria!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 10:58 AM by Darth Rayne »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: February 17, 2006, 11:15 AM »
Maybe in your neck of the woods.  We've had one of the hottest, driest winters on record in down here.  It's been pathetic.  Yesterday the high was 84 degrees .

Yep, we're all suffering.  But let's put it in perspective:  If you go outside and take off your shirt, you get a sun tan.  If I go outside and take off my shirt, I die (and not just of embarassment).   ;)

It's funny, my family all lives on the West Coast now in and around Vancouver.  They always talk about a "wet cold" where it gets into your bones and it's hard to warm up, even for days at a time.   ::)  Yeah, yeah.  A dry cold just kills you and you don't ever warm up from that.