Author Topic: How's the weather?  (Read 209944 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: How's the weather?
« Reply #1125 on: February 25, 2007, 04:58 PM »
Severe wind warnings in Dallas today - we're having a bit of a dust storm it seems.  It looks like Afghanistan outside.

Pics?

Kevin

Sorry, didn't take any... just imagine an average day, but really windy - but dark out, because the sun (despite no clouds in the sky) is obscured by what looks like fog, but is the color of dust.  Also, everything was desaturated color-wise... everything seemed flat, brownish/gray, and lifeless.

It was really weird.

Also, you could taste the dirt in the air, which was kinda gross I guess.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: February 25, 2007, 06:56 PM »
That has actually happened to me before, Rob. Last summer, when my mother, sister, sister's friend and I drove across the United States to go on a tour of the Nevada Test Site (Route 66 and Atomic Bombs? Holy mid-20th Century Retroculture Studies, Batman!) we passed through New Mexico via I-40 twice. A little while after an absolutely spectacular sunrise whilst en route to Amarillo on our return trip, we happened upon a gigantic (probably about 40 miles in length, 5 miles in depth) column of blowing dust. Think this was either just before or just after Tucumcari, as a general reference for the people familiar with the area. It was a sensational sight to see, I guess, being acclimated to the abudantly moist South Carolina.

Visibilty was damn near zero in the worst parts of it, and even the air inside the car began to have a slight taste of dirt. Conditions would improve rapidly as we approached the Texas border, with fair weather for the entire, boring drive to Tyler, TX. Pretty long day, actually. Albuquerque to Tyler is a drive I do not intend to make again for a long time.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1127 on: February 26, 2007, 10:50 AM »
I've seen reports that we're due 12"-18" of snow through Sunday...

Well, I guess the weather heads got it right this time - between Saturday and Sunday, we ended up at around 13" of snow.

I was reminded again that there is nothing more annoying than clearing the drive-way so you can go to work, turning off the snowblower and heading back into the house only to hear the damn plow roar down the street behind you.   ::)   >:(
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: February 26, 2007, 10:54 AM »
We got a bit of ice and snow yesterday afternoon which turned to all snow. But around 10pm last night it changed to rain and washed it all away. That's what you get for living by the shore...

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: February 26, 2007, 11:17 AM »
 ;D All of an inch of snow last night.

Sorry to hear about your plow blues, Jeff. We have our plow guy swipe the front of our house and neighbors road, so when the plow comes down the road, it's got no snow to block in the driveway.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: February 26, 2007, 03:32 PM »
 :) Just cloudy! No Rain,No Snow,No nothing Just the way I like it ;)
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: February 26, 2007, 11:49 PM »
I was reminded again that there is nothing more annoying than clearing the drive-way so you can go to work, turning off the snowblower and heading back into the house only to hear the damn plow roar down the street behind you.   ::)   >:(

I know what you mean.  Conversely I'd be happy if a) I owned a snowblower or b) the plow came down the road more than once in a year.

Our cul-de-sac is so narrow only one vehicle can drive in or out at a time.   ::)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: March 1, 2007, 03:40 PM »
Still snowing. ::)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: March 1, 2007, 04:14 PM »

You, too! I think we've had about 4" when I shoveled in the morning, 2" before leaving to work... I hate to think what it is now.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: March 1, 2007, 04:21 PM »

You, too! I think we've had about 4" when I shoveled in the morning, 2" before leaving to work... I hate to think what it is now.

I just flat out decided to work from home.  My neighbor has been out snowblowing three different times today and its STILL coming down.  Ugh!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: March 1, 2007, 04:39 PM »
I only shoveld the lip on my driveway this afternoon so cars can pull in the driveway.  There's no freakin point to plow the entire thing as there's a few more waves of snow to go.  - Another Minnesotan here.
« Last Edit: March 1, 2007, 04:44 PM by iFett »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: March 1, 2007, 07:12 PM »
what was normally a 30 min walk from work to my house turned out to be 1 hour and 10 minutes. did i mention i have the flu?

we are expected to get (in this order) snow sleet rain and snow again until tommorow. temp. isnt to bad at a -1 but the freezing rain is what i am worried about.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: March 1, 2007, 07:59 PM »
Today has been a rather active one across the Southeastern quadrant of the United States, to be certain. Two PDS Tornado Watches (Particuarly Dangerous Situation) were issued this afternoon, watches which covered vast swaths of territory... from the Gulf Coast, to the southern Appalachians, up the Mississippi into northern Tennesse. Many tornadoes have been reported and confirmed thus far, and it is not unthinkable that the tornadic threat will continue, at least in a limited capacity, as this system pushes east into the Carolinas.

I'm anxious to see the SPC's next Day 1 Convective Outlook, to see whether my hypothesis about the lion's share of the instability/convective potential being limited to the southern and central tiers of the Southern States. There's nothing I love more than to see my area cleared of it's potential. Recent convective trends ahead of the front in Georiga, however, have me a bit unnerved. The radar has literally exploded with scattered showers and thunderstorms, though it appears as though the majority of them are elevated... and therefore unable to tap into the lower-level jet.

Temperatures ahead of the front associated squall line in Alabama are in the middle 60s now, with temperatures falling increasingly the farther to the east of the system one travels. Atlanta is currently at 61-62, Athens is at about 63, and Greenwood (small town, southern piedmont of SC near fall-line) is at around 60. However, in my part of the region, temperatures are in the lower 50s... with Greenville-Spartanburg Int'l reporting a temperature of about 51. Obviously a discrepancy. Hopefully, the "Carolina Wedge" of cool air will prevail, and prevent us from having to contend with violent weather associated pre-frontal supercells and the squall itself.

Time will tell! And here's to hoping, too.

- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: March 1, 2007, 08:00 PM »
 ::) Stormy all day and very heavy rain.I expect Noah's ark to be floating by any minute now
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline TeenJedi

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: March 2, 2007, 02:30 AM »
Wow, you guys have to deal with some rough weather. Here in So. Cal, I can't complain. The weather has been comfortable, but we're really behind on rain. We seem to be in a bit of a drought. I heard the meteorologist say today that this could be the, or one of, the driest Winters ever here.