Author Topic: How's the weather?  (Read 212032 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Snow!
« Reply #495 on: December 27, 2004, 01:44 AM »
Upcoming forecast looks positively balmy, but that's just long range BS.

Long range is BS & can change anytime. So much for the -18°C.

Sitting at -20°C right now with a wind chill of -30!  >:(

They say were going to -26°C tonight. Bastards!  >:(

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 28, 2004, 08:21 PM »
Oh what a lovely long range forcast for us!  :-\

Wednesday .. 60 percent chance of flurries in the evening. High -9°C.
Thursday .. Cloudy. Light snow. Low  -23°C. High -18°C.
Friday .. Cloudy. A few flurries. Low -31°C. High -21°C.
Saturday .. Low -32°C. High -24°C.
Sunday .. Low -30°C. High -24°C.
Monday .. Low -33°C. High -23°C.

Hope that forcast changes!  >:(

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 30, 2004, 10:15 AM »
Bring back my cold weather :-\

It's warmed up lately, we're at -7 C right now (about 20 F).  Been like that for a couple of days.  With all the sand and salt on the road, my car is now a mix of brown and white goop.  But wait, it gets better. 

Today and tomorrow we're supposed to get 6-8 inches (15-20 cm) of snow.  And of course once that falls, temperatures are supposed to drop to around -22 C (-3 F) with wind chills around -33 C.  Yes indeed, very nice - over half a foot of snow and ******* freezing.  Happy new year.  Have I mentioned I have an hour drive to and from work each day in this **** >:(  No, I can't move, then my wife would have that stupid drive. 

Wonder if there are any good jobs on Maui :'(

9:25 am CST - freezing rain has begun, visibility decreasing ::)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 10:25 AM by Morgbug »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 30, 2004, 11:40 AM »
I just shoveled the snow, some more on the way. Bit of a wind out there, -18C for a chill of -29C. We have the freeze coming here, staying around the mid to low 20's.  :-\

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 31, 2004, 03:44 PM »
Snow sucks, pic from last night, a guy on the spawn board here in Winnipeg...

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: December 31, 2004, 03:58 PM »
Very nice, pretty. Yes snow sucks, I'm bloody sick of it & more on the way.  >:(

On another note, we made the Top Ten Canadian weather stories for 2004

1. Storm drowns and pounds Edmonton
2. White Juan buries Halifax
3. Summer's cold shoulder
4. Peterborough's flood of two centuries
5. B.C. and Yukon - warm, dry and on fire
6. January's nation-wide deep freeze
7. A billion-dollar frost
8. Weather picks on Nova Scotia again
9. Snow dump smothers Prairie spring
10. Weather cures the West Nile virus

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 31, 2004, 05:32 PM »
Your storms were awesome.  We fit in nicely at #3:

Summer plainly forgot residents of Manitoba and Saskatchewan. Across the West, it was the coldest May to August on record over the past 57 years. In fact, Winnipeg's summer was the coldest since probably the last ice age. With records dating back to 1872, May to August averaged 13.4°C in the Manitoba capital, almost a full degree colder than the previous record. The summer's worst moment might have been on August 18, when snow pellets fell in downtown Winnipeg and winds blew at 80 km/h. But, by then, most Winnipegers had given up on summer anyway. Luckily, September turned out to be warmer than either June or August - a first for Winnipeg!

Sadly, disaster came early on August 20 when a widespread killing frost struck parts of south and central Saskatchewan and Manitoba, making it one of the earliest major frosts in 50 years. The combination of cold air, light winds and clear skies - the deadly three ingredients for hoar frost - were just right for a white sheath to coat rooftops, windshields and lush fields. Low temperature records spanning over 100 years were broken at, among others, Saskatoon, Winnipeg and Yorkton. Broadview was the coldest spot at -2.9°C. The duration of frost and the immaturity of the grain made the crop especially vulnerable. "What a year," said one farm expert. "Frost has appeared each and every month somewhere in the southern Prairies."

And that one covers my work angle since I work with farmers.  Not a happy year between frosts and BSE. 

Only three more months of snow, then we get another shot at getting it right.  Worst part is it was so hard to get golf games in, I only played 11 times. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 05:35 PM by Morgbug »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: December 31, 2004, 06:16 PM »
Holy Crap! :o  Just saw the stats on the snowstorm that went through --> 32 cm or 12 1/2 " of snow.  But it gets better, another snowstorm warning in effect for tomorrow, another 6"! :-\

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 1, 2005, 04:33 PM »
Yikes Brent, and I thought the 6 inches we've had in the last 3 days was a lot.  Good luck digging out. 

-18oC with windchill of -29oC here in Kindersley.  It actually didn't feel that cold when I was shoveling this afternoon. 

Happy New Year! [insert sarcasm if desired] 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 1, 2005, 08:01 PM »
I was amazed Jesse.  Not far from us there was half that amount, I guess they just wanted it all to fall on the area between my home and work ::)

Next storm has begun, but pretty tame so far for snow fall.  Do have a heavy snowfall warning in place, but I guess it will be overnight stuff. 

-17 C with ENE wind 35 KMH; wind chill -29.  Sadly, that feels warm :-X

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #505 on: January 1, 2005, 08:44 PM »
We've got freezing rain here. The **** freezes as soon as it hits the ground. There's about a 3/4" thick sheet of ice on EVERYTHING. ******* sucks.

I was going to go do some more heavy drinking socializing with this new chick I just met, but that's off.

Guess I'll be watching the CapitalOne Bowl highlights tonight on Sportscenter with Iowa's awesome win today.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #506 on: January 3, 2005, 10:16 AM »
Ugh.

We got clobbered with freezing rain over the weekend too.  It was the strangest thing I've seen in my life, if was like it was POURING rain, but it wasn't rain, it was tiny little rice-shaped ice pellets.  Complete with Thunder and Lighning too. 

Very, very odd.

The worst part was when it coated out our phone line to our house which then cracked in the blustery wind.  Not broken clean through, so we've got a TON of static on the line and it was near unusuable for the DSL which meant a weekend without the net!   >:(

My first weekend "off" from my busy schedule and I couldn't even play on-line!  :(

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #507 on: January 3, 2005, 10:36 AM »
Yet another "snow storm" where they were predicting and forecasting doom and gloom and we got, what a 1/4" of ice pellets?  I hate that, it annoys me to no end. 

Since we moved to Maplewood and have a driveway to shovel, I think the most snow I've had to shovel is a little over 3".  I say I because last year I know we had more but I was in bed without an appendix

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 3, 2005, 01:21 PM »
We got more, but the neighbour came over and did our driveway with the snowplow, so it was relatively painless.  Still haven't seen an amount, but it had to be less than forecast, so maybe about 3" more.  Sides of the driveway are stacked with snow, about the same height as the roof of my car now.  Haven't seen snow like this locally since 1997 and we had a pretty darn major flood around Winnipeg and southern Manitoba that year :-\

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 3, 2005, 01:25 PM »
I hate the weather, I really do. We're going to be pushing 70 for about the next week or two, which sucks big time for me and the other cold weather lovers.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -