Author Topic: How's the weather?  (Read 212354 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Snow!
« Reply #510 on: January 3, 2005, 01:30 PM »
We got more, but the neighbour came over and did our driveway with the snowplow, so it was relatively painless.  Still haven't seen an amount, but it had to be less than forecast, so maybe about 3" more.  Sides of the driveway are stacked with snow, about the same height as the roof of my car now.  Haven't seen snow like this locally since 1997 and we had a pretty darn major flood around Winnipeg and southern Manitoba that year :-\

All the snow seems to be staying to the north or east of us here in MN. 

It seems like all the "Alberta Clipper" storms are dumping all the snow on you Southern Canadians so the storms are empty when they get to the Twin Cities.  Then, the storms hit the Great Lakes, pick up a bunch of moisture, and dump snow on the eastern states.

I mean, this weekend Duluth, MN got 9.5 inches of snow while the Twin Cities got 1/4" of Ice pellets.

Strange...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 3, 2005, 01:38 PM »
Not too bad here, -19°C and lows of mid to late -20's. Just some skiff of snow though I do have to brush off the snow on my truck from the other day, not much. Just don't like it when the wind picks up...

Alberta Clipper, blame Canada!  :-\

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 3, 2005, 02:18 PM »
Not too bad here, -19°C and lows of mid to late -20's. Just some skiff of snow though I do have to brush off the snow on my truck from the other day, not much. Just don't like it when the wind picks up...

Alberta Clipper, blame Canada!  :-\

We're back to cold now and I'm pleased.  Enough snow!  -22 C, wind chill has us at -32.

And don't worry Dale, the last one was from Montana.  It was the big one that originated out of AB.  Most of our really heavy snowstorms tend to be Colorado Clipper's though, at least in spring.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 4, 2005, 09:37 AM »
Bring back my cold weather :-\

Be careful what you wish for:

-35°C
A few clouds FEELS LIKE   -47°C
WIND   NW 13 km/h
GUSTS   
RELATIVE HUMIDITY   74%
DEWPOINT   -38°C
PRESSURE   103.98 kPa 
VISIBILITY   24 km
CEILING   unlimited

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 4, 2005, 09:45 AM »
Snow has been virtually nonexistent here all winter. I just heard on the news this morning that so far, we've had something like 2.8" the entire season. And that is a record low amount thru Jan. 4th for the area since they started keeping records.

I just hope we don't play catch up and get like 40" in March.  :-\

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 4, 2005, 09:55 AM »
So do we.  We have enough snow now for the whole year.  We also had a wet summer.  If ND and Minnesota get big snowfalls, we're probably looking at repeating 1997's spring floods.  Not good.  Not good at all.  Also not good for everything along the Red River - like Grand Forks. 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #516 on: January 4, 2005, 10:09 AM »
There is snow North of here and forecast for a big dumping south of here but we have nothing.  Its rather weird but I really don't mind it

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 4, 2005, 10:35 AM »
Well, according to the meteorologists, our first big snow storm is supposed to be hitting today/tonight/tomorrow.  We had a bit of an ice storm Sunday night and everything is covered with a thin layer of ice now.  They are saying we are in for 7-12" of the white stuff, we'll see if that works out or not.  Kind of looking forward to it, we haven't really had any snow this winter yet, and I enjoy some snow now and then....as long as it doesn't cause major problems and/or injuries to people.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 4, 2005, 11:06 AM »
We have a total for our two days of snow in Winnipeg - 49 cm (19.3 inches).  Lovely stuff, very pretty but it's a wee bit of a nightmare on the roads.  Good luck with your snow Brian.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #519 on: January 4, 2005, 06:17 PM »
I just had the shittiest drive I've ever been through.

I went down to Cedar Rapids today, thinking I'd be there and back long before the **** hit the fan.

I was wrong.

I left the city limits, got on I-380, and BAM! A thin sheet of ice for 45 miles. All the faster I dared go was 25-35 mph. Took me an hour and twenty minutes to go 45 miles.
I'm staying in for the next couple of days, since it's really going to get ****** here. Now the snow is falling.

**** me.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #520 on: January 4, 2005, 07:38 PM »
the vile white stuff is expected hit chicagoland this evening with an accumulation of up to a foot over the next day and a half. its going to ****** suck, going to have to shovel out a parking spot on the street, going to have to drive with people who are scared of a few flakes (in the early moments of the storm when we're only getting a little snow). i hate winter, its hard to believe i was born here....

hmi: love the new avatar!
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 4, 2005, 09:14 PM »
A few flurries by Thursday according to the long range forecast but thats it. Dipping down to -31°C by the weekend and staying around for a few days. As long as there is no wind I can take it over the snow.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #522 on: January 4, 2005, 09:18 PM »
hmi: love the new avatar!

Thanks. I think I'm going to have JD host it since I'm sucking up someone else's bandwidth, but after what happened to Matt last night....

Got an inch here now, with no signs of slowing down. I called my bro in Ames and he said they've got two inches there already.

This is a storm, no doubt. Good thing I've got food, beer, and cigarettes enough to last till Friday. I also have milk and water, but I'm on vacation, man. :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #523 on: January 4, 2005, 11:19 PM »
And we still have a 1/4" of ice pellets on the ground...weird weird weird

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #524 on: January 5, 2005, 10:18 AM »
And we still have a 1/4" of ice pellets on the ground...weird weird weird

No kidding!  That stuff just won't melt!   >:(

I've been out every day whacking away with the ice-breaker trying to clear the driveway and walk.   :(

It is truly strange that we've only had 2.8" of snow so far, while places just 2 hours north of south get that much in a single storm.   :-\

I'm starting to get worried that we are going to just get hammered in March to make up for it...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender