Author Topic: How's the weather?  (Read 211341 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Snow!
« Reply #555 on: January 10, 2005, 10:05 AM »
***********.  Pardon my French, but here's where we are right now:

-27°C
A few clouds WIND   SW 7 km/h
GUSTS   
RELATIVE HUMIDITY   69%
DEWPOINT   -31°C
PRESSURE   102.66 kPa 
VISIBILITY   19 km
CEILING   unlimited

No wind chill at the moment, so it's positively balmy ::)

But our forecast is spectacular, really.  Lows for Wednesday/Thursday this week are both -36 C :'(  Better yet, flurries are forecast for that time >:(  It's supposed to be too damn cold to snow but no, we get it anyway.  Y'see, cold can be tolerated cuz it doesn't snow.  When it snows and it's cold (as in really cold) it becomes annoying and intolerable. 

The only solace is that long range forecasts are shite.  Wednesday isn't that far off, but I can hope. 

Brr.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 10, 2005, 12:33 PM »
Brrr is right.  -33oC right now, I think I'll be waiting a couple hours before I go anywhere.  It's my day off, and I'm happy to stay right here and hang out with my daughter. 

No wind chill at the moment, so it's positively balmy ::)

At least we've got that going for us too.   :-\

Although, there is a chance that I've got some Star Wars figures waiting for me at the post office...  Ah, yes, another advantage to small town living - no door to door postal service.  Frick.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 12:35 PM by JesseVader08 »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 10, 2005, 12:48 PM »
You know what, it is an advantage.  I've had stuff left on the doorstep multiple times, including way back when I ordered two Wuhers from the collector's club and they were left out in the rain, both cards trashed.  I've also had one box delivered to a neighbour's place.  I live in Winnipeg and get stuff delivered to Carman, so it stays nice and warm and DRY in the post office until I go get it.  Be careful what you ask for. 

Also, in newer subdivisions they're putting in central boxes, one per street with keys, just like at your post office in Kindersley.  All the packages go to a central depot. 

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 10, 2005, 01:10 PM »
I live in Winnipeg and get stuff delivered to Carman, so it stays nice and warm and DRY in the post office until I go get it.  Be careful what you ask for. 

Hmmm... Good point.  Things are always greener on the other side, aren't they?  ;)  When you put it that way, at least I know that they're safe from exposure to the elements.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 10, 2005, 01:17 PM »
Well, there might be the hiding-it-from-the-wife factor mixed in there as well, but most of my intentions are honourable :P

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 10, 2005, 01:19 PM »
Well, there might be the hiding-it-from-the-wife factor mixed in there as well, but most of my intentions are honourable :P

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Rain!
« Reply #561 on: January 10, 2005, 03:37 PM »
No snow anymore, but I'm sure most of you have seen (on CNN or whatever) that SoCal is having some slightly inclement weather right now.  Going on 4 straight days of constant downpour, so everything around me is flooded, or covered in mudslides.  Took me 2.25 hours to drive 19 miles to work today.  Lots of freeway and road closures everywhere around L.A. right now.  There were 720 weather related traffic accidents yesterday alone (yes, we're ****** drivers here, but still...)  Hell, they're even closing alot of the public schools at this point.  Pretty crazy...

Fun stuff.   ::)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 10, 2005, 03:53 PM »
Thats some crazy weather Matt, if it's not a wildfire it's a downpour.  :-\

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #563 on: January 10, 2005, 05:08 PM »
Or an earthquake...   ;)

Yep.  I remember about 10 years ago when L.A. got hit by the Northridge quake, wildfires, and massive floods.  People actually were making/selling T-shirts saying: "L.A. - 1994: I survived the Quakes, Wildfires, and Floods", or whenever it was, don't recall now.  But yeah, aside from Hurricanes/Tornadoes, we seem to have a penchant out here for natural disasters.   :-\

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #564 on: January 10, 2005, 05:19 PM »
But yeah, aside from Hurricanes/Tornadoes, we seem to have a penchant out here for natural disasters.   :-\

That's OK, one day when California is tossed into the ocean by a massive earthquake, it will all be over...  :P

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth Paul

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 10, 2005, 05:43 PM »
When I see Southern California's weather/fire woes, I always think the same thing:
It's just nature's way of telling people they shouldn't be living there.
All these subdivisions in the canyons.  Let's cut down all the green, making hillsides unstable and prone to collapse.  Let's build in canyons and gulches, right in the path of floodwaters which will race through because we cut all the vegetation down that would normally have slowed the water.
And oh yeah, when it isn't flooding, the place is a desert.  All our water is brought in from hundreds of miles away, permanently altering eco-systems on the other side of the mountains.  It's pretty dry usually, wonder why we have so many fires, jumping from roof to roof in those wonderful canyons.
And...I wonder why my kids are being eaten by cougars in the local park?  I heard someone mention encroachment on wildnerness, but...
I think SoCal is really a giant scam engineered by the construction and insurance industries.
That said, I hope your house is OK JediMac.  :o

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #566 on: January 10, 2005, 05:50 PM »
I have not knowingly, directly contributed to any of those things Paul, I swear!   :-[

I'm just a simple man, trying to make his way in the universe...   :P

(house is OK, so far)   ;)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #567 on: January 10, 2005, 06:13 PM »
(house is OK, so far)   ;)

But this one isn't (on the front page of CNN.com right now), and it's in Canyon Country which is only about a mile away from us, 3 minutes up the main street in our area.   :-\
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 06:47 PM by JediMAC »

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 10, 2005, 11:09 PM »
Yikes.  Keep safe, OK?  But if you do need to evacuate, don't use this road:   :o

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #569 on: January 11, 2005, 05:04 AM »
We're going to get more of that freezing rain and snow nonsense tomorrow. After that, it's supposed to be downright frigid. ****.
At least we don't have mudslides or any crazy **** like that.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk