Author Topic: How's the weather?  (Read 211675 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Snow!
« Reply #570 on: January 11, 2005, 05:08 AM »
And Pittsburgh continues on its Winter of utter stupidity with temps in the 60's the next couple days, then POSSIBLY a snow on Friday/Saturday.

Possibly...

We've had a dusting this year, that's about it really.  Tons of rain.  Every storm hitting Cali is coming here then, which means the leak in my car is just making me change out the towels more often and make sure the plastic's secured.  Had it all been snow, we'd have been screwed as far as traveling any distance goes...  Instead we just got more flooding.

I had flashbacks to the great flood of '04.   :o
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 11, 2005, 10:26 AM »
Holy ****!

A mudslide in La Conchita, Ventura County, is shown Monday, Jan. 10, 2005. The huge mudslide crashed down on homes, killing at least one person and leaving up to 12 missing as a Pacific storm hammered Southern California for a fourth straight day.

Rescue workers dig through the mud and debris looking for surviors in the La Conchita, Calif. community between Ventura and Santa Barbara on Monday, Jan. 10, 2005. Santa Barbara Avenue is the visible steet.

Hope everything is safe in your neck of the woods Matt.  :-\

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 11, 2005, 01:11 PM »
Um, yeah, so it's cold and going to snow.  Seems a lot easier to bear after those pictures :o  Be safe, Alice.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 11, 2005, 01:27 PM »
Were sitting easy till tonight, yeah snow.

Temp.:  -15°C 
Pressure:  100.7
kPa 
Visibility:  13km 
Humidity:  77% 
DewPoint:  -18°C 
Wind:  E5 km/h

Today .. Cloudy. Periods of snow beginning this afternoon. Temperature steady near minus 15.
Tonight .. Periods of snow. Amount 2 cm. Wind northeast 20 km/h becoming northwest 30 gusting to 50 near midnight. Low minus 28. Extreme wind chill minus 40.
Wednesday .. Sunny with cloudy periods. 60 percent chance of flurries in the morning. Wind northwest 30 km/h gusting to 50 becoming light in the afternoon. High minus 25. Extreme wind chill minus 43.
Thursday .. Sunny. Low minus 36. High minus 24.
Friday .. Sunny. Low minus 33. High minus 26.
Saturday .. Sunny. Low minus 31. High minus 17.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: January 11, 2005, 01:36 PM »
-26°C
A few clouds WIND   N 4 km/h
GUSTS   
RELATIVE HUMIDITY   76%
DEWPOINT   -29°C
PRESSURE   101.99 kPa 
VISIBILITY   13 km
CEILING   unlimited

Snow tomorrow is going to warm us up nicely, until the low Saturday night -->  -38C not counting windchill :'(  High tomorrow in the snow is -11 though, so should see some joggers out in shorts.

Offline HWR

• Jedi Initiate
  • Finally I have returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: January 11, 2005, 01:48 PM »
Yesterday we just broke a record here in Denmark.

The temperature was +12,4 degrees Celcious, the hottest  temperature ever in January here in Denmark.

In this past weekend we had one of the top three heaviest storms in Demark in the last 100 years, it was actually considered a small hurricane and got the name Bertha. The heaviest storm ever was the hurricane Adam from December 1999. Even thru it was the worst hurricane ever in Demark it was still onlt an F1 with the blows of  F3 level.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 01:00 PM by HWR »
Collector of vintage loose Star Wars figures and variations.
Three time sponsor and presenter at the Celebration Europe Collector Track.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #576 on: January 11, 2005, 02:12 PM »
Yikes.  Keep safe, OK?  But if you do need to evacuate, don't use this road:   :o

I'm on Topanga Canyon quite often on my toy hunts, but fortunately not down that far (towards the coast) where that massive boulder fell.  Pretty crazy...

As for that La Conchita slide, what makes that especially sad, is that EXACT same spot had the EXACT SAME thing happen almost EXACTLY 10 years ago.  But the last time, it only wiped out 3-5 houses and I don't think anyone died.  I was actually living up in Santa Barbara at the time, so I passed that spot frequently.  It was always very sad to see those several houses remain covered in dirt for years to come, and essentially just become part of the landscape.  Last I saw that area, the houses ruined 10 years ago were still squashed there.

And now this...  There's 3 people listed as dead now, and up to 21 more missing.  Very, very sad.  They had put up a huge retaining wall at the base of that hill after the first hillslide, but the thing just got obliviated this time around.  Proved totally useless...   :-\

Storms have actually stopped this morning, but there's another one on the way in in a couple hours, but that's supposed to be the last one.  Hopefully that means I can get back to a regular commute soon.  Yesterday it took me 2.25 hours to get in.  Today, almost 2.75 hours.  Disgusting.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: January 11, 2005, 03:21 PM »
Man, those mudslide pictures are crazy.  Very sad, and I hope all of this is over for you Californians soon.  Glad to hear you and your house are still safe Matt, and hope that continues (for everyone, for that matter).  Very sad pictures.

We're getting iced over again today, and like Ben mentioned earlier in the thread, its going to be hella cold the rest of the week the way it sounds in our states' areas.  Doesn't seem like much of a concern at all seeing what you are dealing with out West.  Take care Californians :).

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 12, 2005, 08:23 AM »
Holy lick!  >:(

Ice Crystals 
Temp.:  -25°C 
Pressure:  102.0 kPa 
Visibility:  10km 
Humidity:  70% 
WindChill:  -39 
DewPoint:  -29°C 
Wind:  NNW32 km/h gusting to 41km/h

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #579 on: January 12, 2005, 01:40 PM »
Monday's forecast was 3-6" of snow, last night they were talking 1-3"...as it stands, they now say less than an inch.  Damn I hate that...really...its your ******* job bastards

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 12, 2005, 04:26 PM »
Monday's forecast was 3-6" of snow, last night they were talking 1-3"...as it stands, they now say less than an inch.  Damn I hate that...really...its your ******* job bastards

It's all up here Scott, it never swung that far south, at least not yet.  We got 4" of nice, light, fluffy stuff.  It's pretty warm too, only -12 with a wind chill of -22 C.  The kicker comes in a couple of hours.  Yup, a blizzard warning.  Wind chills around -45 with the wind whipping that light fluffy snow all over the place.  Great visibility for the ride home.  Yay me. 

Not to detract from Matt's crisis down in SoCal, but we have one serious buttload of snow up here.  I haven't seen this much since 1997 and that was a serious pile of snow, followed by some pretty widespread flooding during the spring and early summer. 

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 12, 2005, 06:58 PM »
Yikes:

Tonite:

Low -37oC, -52oC with windchill.   :'(

Nuff said.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: January 13, 2005, 03:27 AM »
Yikes is right Jesse!

Right now theres no real big wind.

Clear Temp.: -30°C
Pressure: 103.4kPa
Visibility: 11km
Humidity: 62%
DewPoint: -35°C
Wind: WSW 4km/h
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 03:28 AM by DSJ™ »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: January 13, 2005, 10:11 AM »
-24°C
Clear. Blowing snow. FEELS LIKE   -39°C
WIND   NW 39 km/h
GUSTS   48 km/h
RELATIVE HUMIDITY   69%
DEWPOINT   -28°C
PRESSURE   101.86 kPa 
VISIBILITY   8.0 km
CEILING   unlimited

Supposed to get cooler during the day.  Another ho-hum winter day.  Wind chill tonight should dip to -47C.  I'll get excited when it hits -50, nothing less.  Skin freezes in less than two minutes.  On pussies maybe ::)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #584 on: January 13, 2005, 10:16 AM »
They said today we're in for the longest cold snap in 10 years here.  I remember the last one.  I was still at the U of Minn and had to walk about a mile to campus every day.  I wore my long underwear far too long, it was like a second skin trying to get them off

We've already had our high today, it should be below 0 oF for the next 3 days, warming up to 5 oF on Monday :o